LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #46
Anonymo
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2004
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Distribution: Slackware, Archlinux, CentOS
Posts: 181

Rep: Reputation: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimm0k View Post
Is it possible to download and upgradpkg the KDE 4.3.2 stuff on a Slackware 13.0 system?
Should be able to

ftp://slackware.mirrors.tds.net/pub/...slackware/kde/

To install

# installpkg /path/to/*
 
Old 10-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #47
gargamel
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2003
Distribution: Slackware, SLAX, OpenSuSE
Posts: 1,585

Rep: Reputation: 139Reputation: 139
As far as I know, you'll need to upgrade to Slackware-current. With Slackware 13.0 KDE 4.3.2 won't work.

gargamel
 
Old 10-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #48
slackd
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Bhubaneswar, India
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, Windows
Posts: 260
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimm0k View Post
Is it possible to download and upgradpkg the KDE 4.3.2 stuff on a Slackware 13.0 system?
you must be updated with -current because all the packages are built against them. Especially Qt.
 
Old 10-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #49
danielldaniell
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Hungary
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD
Posts: 42

Rep: Reputation: 15
device notifier working again

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielldaniell View Post
Hi!
[...]
Only one tiny bit of a problem for me is that the Device Notifier is not working anymore.
[...]
This is on a Slackware-current.
[...]

I was missing the parted package... It contains the libparted libs, and guess what files are linked against it:
/usr/libexec/hald-probe-storage and /usr/libexec/hald-probe-volume
 
Old 10-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #50
Erik_FL
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 793

Rep: Reputation: 245Reputation: 245Reputation: 245
I pretty much gave up on KDE for now. I hope there isn't a KDE 4.4 until KDE 4.3 is finished. KDE 4.3 has different problems on my computers than KDE 4.2 but neither of them work all that well. Although KDE 4.3 seems faster, Dolphin crashes more. I also found that shortcuts I created for the 4.2 desktop don't work in 4.3 (and crash various things). Since each version of KDE seems to require starting over I think I'll wait until the next Slackware release before I start over again.

I've gotten KDE 4.2 to work well enough to use with most things except for VirtualBox. I use XFCE for that. Dolphin seems sluggish but it mostly doesn't crash on KDE 4.2.

It really doesn't matter to me what desktops are in Slackware as long as they work and can be maintained between releases with bug fixes. So far KDE 4.3 does not seem to be a good bug fix for 4.2. It might be worthwhile to focus on getting a solid KDE 4.3 and a Slackware 13.1 release while KDE is still interested in 4.3.
 
Old 10-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #51
Cheesesteak
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 96

Rep: Reputation: 24
I made the switch to -current and upgraded to KDE 4.3.2.

Dolphin crashed when I tried to navigate into ~/.local for the first time. Since then, it's worked great.
I fooled around a bit, and ended up doing another clean install of -current and KDE 4.3.2. I managed to crash Dolphin the exact same way, and no crashes since then.

The other issue I just noticed with 4.3.2 that I did not have with 4.2.4 is with screen redrawing. Now and then, if I fire up a menu on top of an open application, then close the menu, I get part of the menu left over on the application or part of the desktop wallpaper drawn on the app. Same goes for moving one app over another. I have a passively-cooled GeForce 9800 GT, desktop effects disabled and using Nvidia driver v185.18.36. Pure 64-bit Slack. I haven't tried enabling desktop effects to compare, and I've yet to try a newer Nvidia beta to see if that would help.

The graphic glitches can be annoying, but other than that, I feel KDE 4.3.2 is pretty solid.


I gave GSB64 2.26.3 a spin the other day on an Athlon64 laptop. That worked great. It was the first time, in my experience, that I installed GNOME SlackBuild and it "just worked." GNOME looks pretty archaeic next to KDE4 these days, but when it comes to GTK+2 desktops I like the feel of a full GNOME setup over XFCE. I think GNOME offers a more fluid experience for the end user... if you can stomach running a heavier desktop environment.


Update: Enabling desktop effects in KDE 4.3.2 has eliminated my screen redraw issues. Interesting...

Last edited by Cheesesteak; 10-28-2009 at 08:18 AM.
 
Old 10-28-2009, 07:03 AM   #52
Lenard Spencer
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: Florida
Distribution: Slackware, Linux from Scratch
Posts: 173

Rep: Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackd View Post
has someone tested the new k3b?
Code:
kde/k3b-1.68.0-i486-1.txz: Upgraded.
is it stable enough for use?
Just tested it, burns DVDs just fine now. Looks a little disconcerting on the screen, though, with the software buffer going up and down like a yoyo, which slows it down somewhat, but so far it seems to work fine.

I see other posts here for audio CDs, so we may be good to go on it.
 
Old 10-29-2009, 05:37 AM   #53
grete
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2009
Posts: 13

Rep: Reputation: 0
issue with kontrol-panel - multimedia

Morning,

i'm not an experienced kde user. I'm using fluxbox because kde and the like are too much bloated for me. However once in a while i give it a chance, installing updates and have a look.
After installing the latest current updates, everything worked well, except this one: I tried to start the "multimedia" part of the control panel. The whole control panel died.
I switched to console, saw lines of phonon messages, but nothing
related to a crash or something.
Its not important to me, just wanted to mention that.
 
Old 10-29-2009, 07:16 AM   #54
mlangdn
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Kentucky
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 1,366

Rep: Reputation: 156Reputation: 156
I just fired up multimedia and it displayed just fine. Never had been there before, so I just had a look around and got out. But it didn't die on me. I had a one-time crash with Dolphin as well early on. It hasn't given me a bit of trouble since.
 
Old 10-29-2009, 08:30 AM   #55
hitest
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Prince Rupert, B.C., Canada
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD
Posts: 4,008

Rep: Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475Reputation: 475
Just updated slackware-current this am with the new updates. KDE 4.3.2 is very stable for me.
 
Old 10-29-2009, 09:30 AM   #56
stormtracknole
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: The Big Easy
Distribution: Slackware, RHEL
Posts: 779

Rep: Reputation: 103Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
I made the switch to -current and upgraded to KDE 4.3.2.

Dolphin crashed when I tried to navigate into ~/.local for the first time. Since then, it's worked great.
I fooled around a bit, and ended up doing another clean install of -current and KDE 4.3.2. I managed to crash Dolphin the exact same way, and no crashes since then.

The other issue I just noticed with 4.3.2 that I did not have with 4.2.4 is with screen redrawing. Now and then, if I fire up a menu on top of an open application, then close the menu, I get part of the menu left over on the application or part of the desktop wallpaper drawn on the app. Same goes for moving one app over another. I have a passively-cooled GeForce 9800 GT, desktop effects disabled and using Nvidia driver v185.18.36. Pure 64-bit Slack. I haven't tried enabling desktop effects to compare, and I've yet to try a newer Nvidia beta to see if that would help.

The graphic glitches can be annoying, but other than that, I feel KDE 4.3.2 is pretty solid.


I gave GSB64 2.26.3 a spin the other day on an Athlon64 laptop. That worked great. It was the first time, in my experience, that I installed GNOME SlackBuild and it "just worked." GNOME looks pretty archaeic next to KDE4 these days, but when it comes to GTK+2 desktops I like the feel of a full GNOME setup over XFCE. I think GNOME offers a more fluid experience for the end user... if you can stomach running a heavier desktop environment.


Update: Enabling desktop effects in KDE 4.3.2 has eliminated my screen redraw issues. Interesting...
Did you delete your ~/.kde after upgrading? If not, it may be the source of some of your crashes.
 
Old 10-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #57
Cheesesteak
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 96

Rep: Reputation: 24
stormtracknole,

This was a clean install, and I upgraded to -current before creating any regular user accounts... no ~/.kde or other config directories to worry about.

Last edited by Cheesesteak; 10-29-2009 at 09:51 AM.
 
Old 10-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #58
stormtracknole
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: The Big Easy
Distribution: Slackware, RHEL
Posts: 779

Rep: Reputation: 103Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
stormtracknole,

This was a clean install, and I upgraded to -current before creating any regular user accounts... no ~/.kde or other config directories to worry about.
Ah, gotcha. Well, for the heck of it, remove that directory or rename it to something else to see if that does the trick.
 
Old 10-29-2009, 10:00 PM   #59
willysr
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Jogja, Indonesia
Distribution: Slackware-Current
Posts: 2,343

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 377Reputation: 377Reputation: 377Reputation: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtracknole View Post
Did you delete your ~/.kde after upgrading? If not, it may be the source of some of your crashes.
I didn't remove my .kde and it still works fine here
 
Old 10-29-2009, 10:31 PM   #60
noidea
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Posts: 24

Rep: Reputation: 15
My upgrade went fine without removing .kde all my settings from 4.2 were remembered. After a few days not any crashes and running faster than 4.2.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
problem slackware-current kde 4.2 elmana Slackware 1 04-11-2009 03:38 AM
Problem with KDE 3.5.3 on Slackware-Current KeithE Slackware 11 06-07-2006 09:29 AM
bug in KDE 3.5.2 (slackware current) perfect_circle Slackware 3 04-19-2006 04:22 PM
kde 3.5.1 in Slackware/current BCarey Slackware 2 02-26-2006 06:57 PM
kde on slackware current masand Linux - Software 3 02-13-2005 06:26 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration