SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I think not. if you set execute to `set user ID'
using +s, you get a capital S on user execute. I'm
not sure what it is and I've had troubles before
using letters whenever I have to set any ID that are
not r-w-x. So, for `set user ID' I always use number
as explained in the slack-book. Its just one page.
When I had this trouble I fixed this on a step by step
basis. I saw you are going to change execute to `set user ID'
on cdrecord too. If I'm not mistaken its not necessary.
Try changing permissions only on cdrdao alone and see if
that solves the problem, if not change cdrecord too.
Thanks again, mokele. Your reference to the slackbook entry is what I really need to learn.
I implemented your suggestions and k3b complains it doesn't have a writer. I'm tempted to "chmod 666 /dev/hdc", but I suspect there is a more elegant way to do this by adding me, the user, to the right group in /etc/group. I'll probably work my way through this one way or another.
But still, the initial problem is with k3bsetup:
1) Yes, I have k3bsetup, but it stops after I enter the password for root.
2) k3bsetup calls up k3bsetup2, which does not exist--as far as I can see.
3) Does anybody else see this?
For now, smarter people can figure out that problem. I'll try to concentrate on how a regular user can have k3b recognize the writer.
I experienced this exact same problem back when I first ran Slack 10.2 and installed the k3b package from linuxpackages.net. K3bSetup just didn't run from the GUI, and I got the exact same error you get from the command line.
My solution was to delete a file (which got recreated automatically after I deleted it). Unfortunately, its been so long since that happened that I can't remember the exact directory and filename of the file I deleted. Apparently that file had some cached information that was keeping K3bsetup from starting, and deleting it so that it recreated a fresh file corrected the problem.I know that isn't very specific, but maybe it can point in the right direction. I eventually found that answer after many many Google searches.