LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   K Menu Application section missing (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/k-menu-application-section-missing-469273/)

Andriy 07-30-2006 11:49 PM

K Menu Application section missing
 
Hi! I recently reinstalled a Slack 10.2. To my surprise, when I fired up KDE on a user account, the applications and its icons are gone on the menu. This user account already had configurations stored from the previous installation( I didn't delete the /home partition). So, I tried deleting .kderc and the .kde/ on the user's home folder but none of them work. However, the menu on the root account seems ok, so I thought this can just be a configuration problem but I don't know where to look. On top of that, the applications section on the K Menu seems to be fine when im using XFCE. Anyone had thoughts regarding this? Ahead of thanks to you guys. =)

dass 07-31-2006 03:31 AM

hi
Try to remove that user , and create one again.
That thing already happen to me, and that was the way i resolve it.

Andriy 07-31-2006 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dass
hi
Try to remove that user , and create one again.
That thing already happen to me, and that was the way i resolve it.

You sure? :tisk: Didn't work for me though. :cry:

I wonder if anyone has a better idea.

bcmiller 07-31-2006 09:23 AM

I had this happen just recently.

My K menu was gone because I installed kooldock or kxdock... can't remember... in Kubuntu.

When I installed slack I left my /home alone (pun not intended) and I had a blank panelbar.

I just right clicked on the panel and added the K menu from the add applications option.

I did end up resetting the user and specifying a different /home directory later to get around other issues and avoid deleting the info in /home.

tobyl 07-31-2006 05:33 PM

If you are still stuck, you could try rebuilding the menu stucture with KSycoca
The details may be found here:

http://docs.kde.org/development/en/k.../kde-menu.html

(at the bottom of the page)

but only do this as a last resort, as it could make things worse. I did this once with success, but please please dont blame me if it screws things up.

I think the reason is that the menu structure changed with kde 3.2, so if your previous kde was pre 3.2 this could be the cause.

tobyl

Andriy 07-31-2006 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobyl
If you are still stuck, you could try rebuilding the menu stucture with KSycoca
The details may be found here:

http://docs.kde.org/development/en/k.../kde-menu.html

(at the bottom of the page)

but only do this as a last resort, as it could make things worse. I did this once with success, but please please dont blame me if it screws things up.

I think the reason is that the menu structure changed with kde 3.2, so if your previous kde was pre 3.2 this could be the cause.

tobyl

Thanks for the suggestion tobyl. Don't worry I wont bite you. :D

However, you notice on my first post that I had a clean install of Slack 10.2 with only the configurations from the home folder intact. This means that I only had KDE 3.4 and not 3.2.

I am still scouring for possible solutions at the moment.

tobyl 08-01-2006 01:22 PM

Hi Andriy

Quote:

However, you notice on my first post that I had a clean install of Slack 10.2 with only the configurations from the home folder intact. This means that I only had KDE 3.4 and not 3.2.
Aha! yes but I thought the /home partition from a previous installation could have been an older installation, ie an older version of kde.

Anyway I had another idea. While logged in as root and the offender is logged out, rename /tmp/kde-$USER (where $USER is the offender) to something else, and do the same for good measure with /tmp/ksocket-$USER and /tmp/mcop-$USER

There should then on login as that user get new entries created in /tmp.

See if that fixes it. You can always reverse this change if it does no good (bear in mind permissions if you do go back)

tobyl

ps glad to hear you dont bite...

Andriy 08-01-2006 10:37 PM

That could be possible. I was thinking about transfering my important files to another user account and chown everything to that account. Of course, deleting every configuration folders in there to ensure cleanliness. I think it is somewhat similar. I'll see if those two methods could work. ;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.