SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
just upgraded my slackware system to current (well most of it, I didn't bother with X11 packages)
Now my boot process gets stuck at fsck. It says it can't find /dev/hda3 (in my /etc/fstab, /dev/hda3 is /), and offers me the choice to login as root and fix the problem.
I logged in, and discovered that there was nothing in /dev at all! I'm no expert on the boot process, but this is somewhat troubling... Does anyone know how to resolve this?
1) I upgraded from whatever was "current" back in May or June (I haven't done a "complete" install of a slackware version since, hmmm 2 years ago? Ever since then I just upgrade whatever packages to "current" that I want, which is usually most of them)
2)I'm using Kernel 184.108.40.206 (I'm pretty sure, I'll double check when I get home)
3) Yeah I probably installed udev, and I probably did not chmod the /etc/rc.d/rc.udev to execute during boot. I guess I should try that when I get back home. Who should have execute permissions on it?
Willysr: I don't think I did, maybe the package installed it like that? Should I rename it like this?
titopoquito: Well, it turns out I have BOTH of these files, and they're both set to executable. Now what??
I noticed that rc.udev has a line at the begining:
IS it trying to execute this file? /etc/udev/udev.conf doesn't have execute permissions, but should I add them?
Yes, I can execute rc.udev and it doesn't work (returns an error, I forget) , but when I execute rc.udev.new, everything works! My /dev/ is full of...the stuff it should be full of!
Now, the problem is that I cannot replace or rename any of the files. My system gets booted as read-only and remains this way, even AFTER I execute rc.udev.new. So now I need some way to make my system read-write, wihtout rebooting (because of course when I reboot, I'm back to the begining again).
replace all my original rc.d files with the *.new files? See, when I try to do that I get the "read-only filesystem" error.
"And is your rc.udev (after you over write it from rc.udev.new) executable, or did you just execute it manually with 'sh ...'. There's a difference."
I executed it as "./rc.udev.new", and YES it has execute permission.
rc.S not mounting as rw... umm... I guess something's wrong with this file, but as to how to fix it, I'm not sure since I can't save any changes...
I'll go reboot and check dmesg. I can't get the exact text since I can't save it anywhere, but I'll try to remember any lines that stick out!
(I'm posting from a Windows box, btw, not the messed up linux installation)
I fixed the read-only problem: I executed "/etc/rc.d/rc.udev.new" to get the devices, then executed "/etc/rc.d/rc.S.new" to remount the system as read-write. Then I just copied all the rc.*.new files to be just rc.*...
The system seems to be booting fine now, KDE loads, etc... the only problem NOW is that the mouse doesn't work. At all. As if it weren't plugged in (but it is). The output of dmesg and /var/log/Xorg.0.log both look normal (well, I was tired so I just grepped them for "mouse")...
I'll have another stab at this tomorrow.
oh, and artsd seems to be running the CPU at full load for a bit after KDE logs in, then failing. There was an artsd package in that monster upgrade I did too, so that also probably has some issues...