LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-31-2013, 04:09 AM   #31
slacker_
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Distribution: Debian, Slackware
Posts: 259

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
Remove, it patch it, build it again and install it again. Then try to insert the wl module again.
You just said firmware can't be removed. So can I just removepkg? Edit: That was stupid, I meant to say remove package with sbopkg? Which I did just now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
If lilo isn't installed correctly, then how are you booting?
Ticked the "create usb boot disk" option. I've been looking at trying to reinstall it but I have more experience with grub and don't want to wind up having to just reinstall everything. Well, actually, at this point that may be a more preferred route; start from a clean slate and such.

Last edited by slacker_; 08-31-2013 at 04:31 AM. Reason: I accidentally a punctuation.
 
Old 08-31-2013, 05:03 AM   #32
slacker_
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Distribution: Debian, Slackware
Posts: 259

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
Remove, it patch it, build it again and install it again. Then try to insert the wl module again.
Figured a new comment was required for this:

I removed, patched, built, and installed it again. Rebooted per the post you linked, logged back in, ran modprobe wl but still receive
Code:
ERROR: could not insert 'wl': Exec format error
What does this mean? What do I have to do now?
 
Old 09-01-2013, 03:33 AM   #33
slacker_
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Distribution: Debian, Slackware
Posts: 259

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
New update

I wound up installing broadcom-sta from slackbuild on a clean slackware 14 install, patched it with the included patch, now when I try to modprobe wl it kicks back the following:

Code:
ERROR: could not insert 'wl': Exec format error
I still have no idea what this means.
 
Old 09-01-2013, 04:09 AM   #34
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Distribution: OpenBSD, Slackware
Posts: 1,217

Rep: Reputation: 375Reputation: 375Reputation: 375Reputation: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker_ View Post
You just said firmware can't be removed. So can I just removepkg? Edit: That was stupid, I meant to say remove package with sbopkg? Which I did just now.
As I said earlier you seem to be confused about the wl driver and the firmware. From your earlier post, it seemed like you didn't use the slackbuild to install the firmware, but built b43-fwcutter and extracted it manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker_ View Post
Ticked the "create usb boot disk" option. I've been looking at trying to reinstall it but I have more experience with grub and don't want to wind up having to just reinstall everything. Well, actually, at this point that may be a more preferred route; start from a clean slate and such.
grub is in /extra on the Slackware installation media. If you're happier with grub, just remove lilo and install it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker_ View Post
Figured a new comment was required for this:

I removed, patched, built, and installed it again. Rebooted per the post you linked, logged back in, ran modprobe wl but still receive
Code:
ERROR: could not insert 'wl': Exec format error
What does this mean? What do I have to do now?
If the kernel module is still unusable, even after this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker_ View Post
I wound up installing broadcom-sta from slackbuild on a clean slackware 14 install, patched it with the included patch, now when I try to modprobe wl it kicks back the following:

Code:
ERROR: could not insert 'wl': Exec format error
Clean installing Slackware would have made no difference, this is not windows.

At this point your best bet is to build a newer kernel and try b43 + the firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker_ View Post
I still have no idea what this means.
It means that the kernel is refusing to load the module. It's an upstream problem. If the suggested patches don't help, I'm out of ideas on that one.
 
Old 09-01-2013, 04:39 AM   #35
slacker_
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Distribution: Debian, Slackware
Posts: 259

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
As I said earlier you seem to be confused about the wl driver and the firmware. From your earlier post, it seemed like you didn't use the slackbuild to install the firmware, but built b43-fwcutter and extracted it manually.
Actually, yes, I was confused. I was thinking of wl driver as firmware and that was my stumbling block. Sorry. I did build the b43-fwcutter manually. Should I use the slackbuild after upgrading the kernel, or would it matter either way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post

grub is in /extra on the Slackware installation media. If you're happier with grub, just remove lilo and install it.
IIRC the version included is grub 0.97, I was planning on install grub 2 later on. Thanks though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
It means that the kernel is refusing to load the module. It's an upstream problem. If the suggested patches don't help, I'm out of ideas on that one.
Ah, well ok thanks for clearing up the error at least. I was thinking the module had a messed up line in the coding or the call for it was wonky or something, wasn't sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
Clean installing Slackware would have made no difference, this is not windows.
True, very very true. I needed to fix my partitions and table anyway, and once I finished with the install the system is actually running a bit smother. I think I botched something during install the first time. I'm going to build a newer kernel and update the thread when I go through that.

Thanks for the patience while I'm still learning
 
Old 09-01-2013, 05:11 AM   #36
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Distribution: OpenBSD, Slackware
Posts: 1,217

Rep: Reputation: 375Reputation: 375Reputation: 375Reputation: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker_ View Post
I did build the b43-fwcutter manually. Should I use the slackbuild after upgrading the kernel, or would it matter either way?
There is a slackbuild for b43-fwcutter and another for the firmware. If you install via the slackbuild, it's simpler and slackware packages are created.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker_ View Post
IIRC the version included is grub 0.97, I was planning on install grub 2 later on. Thanks though!
Then try grub2 from slackbuilds or just stick with lilo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker_ View Post
Ah, well ok thanks for clearing up the error at least. I was thinking the module had a messed up line in the coding or the call for it was wonky or something, wasn't sure.
Usually if there is typo or syntax error in the source itself, it won't build.
 
Old 09-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #37
solarfields
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Outer Shpongolia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 446

Rep: Reputation: 114Reputation: 114
Quote:
There is a slackbuild for b43-fwcutter and another for the firmware. If you install via the slackbuild, it's simpler and slackware packages are created.
THERE
 
Old 09-23-2013, 03:58 AM   #38
slacker_
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Distribution: Debian, Slackware
Posts: 259

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
There is a slackbuild for b43-fwcutter and another for the firmware. If you install via the slackbuild, it's simpler and slackware packages are created.

Then try grub2 from slackbuilds or just stick with lilo.

Usually if there is typo or syntax error in the source itself, it won't build.
Sorry this took so long, I got tied up with a few things. So, I fixed up the new kernel, currently using 3.10.12, I have b43 installed and all that. I can now connect, but only to 2.4ghz. Device still isn't showing 5ghz range. Is there something else that I missed or that needs to take place?
 
Old 09-23-2013, 04:31 AM   #39
jostber
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2001
Location: Skien, Norway
Distribution: Slackware 14.0 64-bit
Posts: 228

Rep: Reputation: 41
You might try this:

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=17368
 
Old 09-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #40
slacker_
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Distribution: Debian, Slackware
Posts: 259

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jostber View Post
Tried it, quality of connection didn't seem to change (still slow as molasses), and the 5ghz band is still no where to be found.
 
Old 09-26-2013, 02:43 AM   #41
slacker_
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Distribution: Debian, Slackware
Posts: 259

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Update:
Internet speed seems to be fluctuant. At times it is normal speed, at others it is slow as molasses in Canada in January (yay analogies!). This doesn't seem to be caused by the network or network instability. The device itself seems to be unpredictable. I'm not sure how I would test this with 100% certainty.

5Ghz range still unavailable. Not sure why. The wifi pcmcia adapter worked fine with the b43 firmware under debian.
 
Old 09-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #42
jostber
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2001
Location: Skien, Norway
Distribution: Slackware 14.0 64-bit
Posts: 228

Rep: Reputation: 41
This site might be useful:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

You might send a question to the b43 mailing list as well?

http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/b43-dev
 
Old 09-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #43
slacker_
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Distribution: Debian, Slackware
Posts: 259

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jostber View Post
This site might be useful:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43

You might send a question to the b43 mailing list as well?

http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/b43-dev
First link - tried earlier in the thread.

Second link - I will do that. I didn't realize there was a mailing list. [Edit] The mailing list didn't accept an email from any email address I tried

Last edited by slacker_; 09-26-2013 at 01:10 PM.
 
Old 09-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #44
Didier Spaier
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slackware{,64}-14.1 on a Lenovo T61 6457-4XG
Posts: 3,955

Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker_ View Post
5Ghz range still unavailable. Not sure why. The wifi pcmcia adapter worked fine with the b43 firmware under debian.
Could you please tell us which Debian version and which kernel you used? That would allow us to compare drivers and firmware. If possible, exact names of packages used would help.

Also, did you install firmware in Slackware using packages built using the SlackBuilds available @ http://slackbuilds.irg? In that case, did you build and install first b43-fw-cutter? Then did you build and install b43-firmware or b43-legacy-firmware?

Last edited by Didier Spaier; 09-26-2013 at 03:31 PM.
 
Old 09-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #45
slacker_
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Distribution: Debian, Slackware
Posts: 259

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier Spaier View Post
Could you please tell us which Debian version and which kernel you used? That would allow us to compare drivers and firmware.
Ran under 6.0.7, which ever kernel version was default. Quick google search tells me it was 2.6.32.

Slackbuilds has a couple different tools that act as package managers for downloading from the site. I used sbopkg, with a queue file set up to download and install b43-fw-cutter first, then download and install b43-firmware. Legacy was never used.

Last edited by slacker_; 09-26-2013 at 03:35 PM.
 
  


Reply

Tags
broadcom-sta, broadcom43xx, networking, slackware 14


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linux mint 12 will not connect to wifi internet or android wifi tethers wilspeak Linux - General 4 06-06-2012 12:40 AM
[SOLVED] Never installed a driver yet in linux and i just got a EUB9603H long range wifi adapt koolaidwayde Linux - Newbie 3 02-02-2012 12:05 AM
what linux driver do i need in order to get internet using a WiFi-AP Solo solution spinksc Linux - Newbie 3 05-02-2008 08:03 PM
wifi driver installed, but not working on Ubuntu Gutsy gvp87 Linux - Hardware 3 02-05-2008 03:42 PM
Wireless network driver installed cant configure internet deadenduser0666 Linux - Wireless Networking 19 08-31-2004 03:28 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration