LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #16
BCarey
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: New Mexico
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,455

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostber View Post
This might happen if you haven't set your wpa key in wicd-curses. Run wicd-curses as root, use the right arrow on your router and set the wpa key there. Then run wicd-curses again as user.
I find that key problems hang at the Authenticating stage and don't get to the obtaining ip address stage. When it hangs at the ip address stage in my own experience it has been related to drivers.

Brian
 
Old 08-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
jostber
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2001
Location: Skien, Norway
Distribution: Slackware 14.0 64-bit
Posts: 228

Rep: Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCarey View Post
I find that key problems hang at the Authenticating stage and don't get to the obtaining ip address stage. When it hangs at the ip address stage in my own experience it has been related to drivers.

Brian
Yes, that's right. If we can see the wicd log we might get some more clues.
 
Old 08-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #18
vik
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 225
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 50
It definitely could be driver-related: easiest way to test that theory is run an Archlinux Live CD (latest kernel) and see if you can connect to the network with it.

If you're not using X there's a python program called cnetworkmanager you might want to try http://vidner.net/martin/software/cnetworkmanager.
 
Old 08-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #19
slacker_
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Distribution: Debian, Slackware
Posts: 275

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jostber View Post
Yes, that's right. If we can see the wicd log we might get some more clues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jostber View Post
Can you run this?

Code:
cat /var/log/wicd/wicd.log
Sorry for the delay, the entire wicd log can be seen here. If more logs are needed, let me know. .
As the system initializes everything before login, there are a few messages that look suspicious but I don't know what log those are saved to.
 
Old 08-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #20
slacker_
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Distribution: Debian, Slackware
Posts: 275

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vik View Post
It definitely could be driver-related: easiest way to test that theory is run an Archlinux Live CD (latest kernel) and see if you can connect to the network with it.
Would I be able to initialize the broadcom driver within a live cd?
 
Old 08-29-2013, 01:37 AM   #21
jostber
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2001
Location: Skien, Norway
Distribution: Slackware 14.0 64-bit
Posts: 228

Rep: Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker_ View Post
Sorry for the delay, the entire wicd log can be seen here. If more logs are needed, let me know. .
As the system initializes everything before login, there are a few messages that look suspicious but I don't know what log those are saved to.
Can you check these things in wicd?

- Check that you have selected the correct Driver in the Advanced tab in preferences WPA/WPA2/WEXT.
- Shut down the wicd gui, and try to connect with wicd-curses.
- Check if there are any error messages from dmesg after running wicd. Post the output here.
- Install and run wireshark and make it listen on your wireless interface and post the output here.
 
Old 08-29-2013, 02:42 AM   #22
solarfields
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Outer Shpongolia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 471

Rep: Reputation: 120Reputation: 120
hmmm.... if it is a driver issue, as a _last_ resort you may try the windows driver via ndiswrapper (if it works) and blacklist the kernel driver from loading. I know it sound ridiculous, but I had a laptop that worked better with the windows wireless driver.
 
Old 08-29-2013, 02:58 AM   #23
slacker_
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Distribution: Debian, Slackware
Posts: 275

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jostber View Post
Can you check these things in wicd?

- Check that you have selected the correct Driver in the Advanced tab in preferences WPA/WPA2/WEXT.
- Shut down the wicd gui, and try to connect with wicd-curses.
- Check if there are any error messages from dmesg after running wicd. Post the output here.
- Install and run wireshark and make it listen on your wireless interface and post the output here.
I'll do this tomorrow and get back to you with the results.


Quote:
Originally Posted by solarfields View Post
hmmm.... if it is a driver issue, as a _last_ resort you may try the windows driver via ndiswrapper (if it works) and blacklist the kernel driver from loading. I know it sound ridiculous, but I had a laptop that worked better with the windows wireless driver.
I've tried ndiswrapper under debian, only allowed access to 2.4 Ghz range, and only on the 2.6 kernel.
 
Old 08-29-2013, 04:59 AM   #24
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Distribution: OpenBSD, FreeBSD
Posts: 1,299

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
You probably need a newer kernel and the latest firmware. Some of the earlier firmware has problems and the b43 driver included in 3.2 may be immature for that chipset. The best thing you can do at this stage is compile a 3.10.x and take it from there.

You haven't explained where you got the firmware from or how you installed it?

Or you can try the broadcom-sta driver first.
 
Old 08-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #25
slacker_
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Distribution: Debian, Slackware
Posts: 275

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
You probably need a newer kernel and the latest firmware. Some of the earlier firmware has problems and the b43 driver included in 3.2 may be immature for that chipset. The best thing you can do at this stage is compile a 3.10.x and take it from there.

You haven't explained where you got the firmware from or how you installed it?

Or you can try the broadcom-sta driver first.
Got the driver from here. I just installed broadcom-sta from slackbuilds last night but it isn't showing up in lsmod. I tried modprobe wl and it kicked back this:
Code:
 ERROR: could not insert 'wl': Exec format error
Not sure what this means exactly.

I've never had to do a manual kernel upgrade, where would I start with that?

Last edited by slacker_; 08-29-2013 at 04:13 PM.
 
Old 08-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #26
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Distribution: OpenBSD, FreeBSD
Posts: 1,299

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
The broadcom-sta/wl driver is a pain... I would suggest building a newer kernel and trying b43 first.

If you still want to press on with wl, this post may be useful: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ml#post4797896

If you followed the instructions in your link to wireless.kernel.org, you should have extracted the firmware to
Code:
$ ls -l /lib/firmware/b43
The slackbuild may have been simpler (and cleaner): http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.../b43-firmware/

To build a kernel: http://alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/...kernelbuilding

Get a 3.10.x kernel config from here: http://slackware.mirrors.tds.net/pub...rent/source/k/

Go for the 'generic' config for your architecture (if you use x86 - you will probably want the smp config). The only change you'll need to make is to build in your root file system (this avoids you having to create an initrd).
 
Old 08-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #27
slacker_
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Distribution: Debian, Slackware
Posts: 275

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
The broadcom-sta/wl driver is a pain... I would suggest building a newer kernel and trying b43 first.

If you still want to press on with wl, this post may be useful: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ml#post4797896

If you followed the instructions in your link to wireless.kernel.org, you should have extracted the firmware to
Code:
$ ls -l /lib/firmware/b43
The slackbuild may have been simpler (and cleaner): http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.../b43-firmware/

To build a kernel: http://alien.slackbook.org/dokuwiki/...kernelbuilding

Get a 3.10.x kernel config from here: http://slackware.mirrors.tds.net/pub...rent/source/k/

Go for the 'generic' config for your architecture (if you use x86 - you will probably want the smp config). The only change you'll need to make is to build in your root file system (this avoids you having to create an initrd).
In order:

Yes it was extracted to /lib/firmware/b43 and it seems that I should just remove it from the system now that I'm trying to use broadcom-sta, but I can't seem to figure out how to uninstall the firmware...

That guide is for building the 2.6 kernel on 13.37, same procedure for building 3.10 on 14 I'm assuming?

My laptop isn't capable of smp (it's from 2003, so.. you get the idea). When I installed the current kernel, I had to use huge.s. Since I'm new to all this, I don't know if I should use config-huge-3.10.9 or config-generic-3.10.9?
 
Old 08-30-2013, 04:33 AM   #28
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Distribution: OpenBSD, FreeBSD
Posts: 1,299

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker_ View Post
In order:

Yes it was extracted to /lib/firmware/b43 and it seems that I should just remove it from the system now that I'm trying to use broadcom-sta, but I can't seem to figure out how to uninstall the firmware...
You don't need to remove the firmware - and you can't uninstall it because of the method you used to install it. You could delete it, but I would strongly suggest just leaving it there.

You seem to be somewhat confused however, so I'll try to clarify:

If you're using broadcom-sta (wl) just use your existing kernel, don't compile a newer one and just follow the post I linked to, which deals with applying some patches to work around the error you were getting.

If you're going to stick with b43, you need the firmware (which you extracted from the broadcom-sta driver) and you will need a newer kernel (if you want a newer b43 module, you need a newer kernel because b43 is included in the kernel).

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker_ View Post
That guide is for building the 2.6 kernel on 13.37, same procedure for building 3.10 on 14 I'm assuming?
Yes, just adapt it to suit (make sure you substitute your kernel version string).

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker_ View Post
My laptop isn't capable of smp (it's from 2003, so.. you get the idea). When I installed the current kernel, I had to use huge.s. Since I'm new to all this, I don't know if I should use config-huge-3.10.9 or config-generic-3.10.9?
You may need the non smp kernel and you may not. smp itself is not an issue on single cores (I run an smp kernel on a single core Pentium 4), but if you have an old CPU which does not support NX bit, then you definitely will need the standard non smp x86 config.

Whether you use huge or generic is up to you. If you use generic, you will have to create an initrd, or just build your file system driver into the kernel. This is a matter of ticking a box when you run make xconfig (see the howto).

Last edited by cynwulf; 08-30-2013 at 04:35 AM.
 
Old 08-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #29
slacker_
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Distribution: Debian, Slackware
Posts: 275

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
if you're using broadcom-sta (wl) just use your existing kernel, don't compile a newer one and just follow the post i linked to, which deals with applying some patches to work around the error you were getting.
So, If I already installed broadcom-sta with sbopkg, I'm guessing that whole patching thing won't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
whether you use huge or generic is up to you. If you use generic, you will have to create an initrd, or just build your file system driver into the kernel. This is a matter of ticking a box when you run make xconfig (see the howto).
I read through that and it mentions a few things with lilo, but I'm having an issue with that too. Lilo didn't install right when I installed slack, and I haven't been able to figure out how to reinstall/reconfigure it.
 
Old 08-31-2013, 03:31 AM   #30
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Distribution: OpenBSD, FreeBSD
Posts: 1,299

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker_ View Post
So, If I already installed broadcom-sta with sbopkg, I'm guessing that whole patching thing won't work.
Remove, it patch it, build it again and install it again. Then try to insert the wl module again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker_ View Post
I read through that and it mentions a few things with lilo, but I'm having an issue with that too. Lilo didn't install right when I installed slack, and I haven't been able to figure out how to reinstall/reconfigure it.
If lilo isn't installed correctly, then how are you booting?
 
  


Reply

Tags
broadcom-sta, broadcom43xx, networking, slackware 14


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linux mint 12 will not connect to wifi internet or android wifi tethers wilspeak Linux - General 4 06-06-2012 12:40 AM
[SOLVED] Never installed a driver yet in linux and i just got a EUB9603H long range wifi adapt koolaidwayde Linux - Newbie 3 02-02-2012 12:05 AM
what linux driver do i need in order to get internet using a WiFi-AP Solo solution spinksc Linux - Newbie 3 05-02-2008 08:03 PM
wifi driver installed, but not working on Ubuntu Gutsy gvp87 Linux - Hardware 3 02-05-2008 03:42 PM
Wireless network driver installed cant configure internet deadenduser0666 Linux - Wireless Networking 19 08-31-2004 03:28 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration