SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Fresh install of slackware 9.1. I installed the i18n. Mozilla displays hex boxes instead of japanese characters. Searching here told me it is a font problem and that I need to install japanese fonts. But all the posts I found were at least six months old and were about other distros or slackware 9.
So, is there a "clean" way of displaying japanese fonts in slackware 9.1 ? Downloading fonts from Microsoft and putting them in linux seems unnatural. Also, japanese display worked perfectly by default in mandrake 8.2 (my previous distro), so it seems a bit odd that slack wouldn't have something equivalent.
have you checked the font settings in mozilla? sometimes, it is not set to display with the right font set. Also, make sure mozilla is detecting the right encoding (under View).
I'm pretty sure Slackware comes with some Japanese fonts, but I think now there are no freely available Japanese fonts b/c of copyright issues. the ones that used to come with distros are no longer available. Besides, the MS ones do look a lot better.
i used to have the same problem with jpn, ch and kor characters, i only need chinese, but i hate seeing the boxes appeared on my web pages, so i wanna fix them all.
What i did is to copy from my WinXP fonts, eg batang, mingliu, etc to /usr/share/fonts(create yourself) and then reboot for fc-cache to update them(could be a more elegant way than a windowish reboot, but it get my problem solved...). Relaunch your Mozilla and you will see them all there. BTW, Netscape has no problem with these. It can show all Jpn, CHinse, Korean at default. But IMO, they looked aweful, so getting from MS is the best way out for me. Try it.
PS:no need to adjust any fonts setting/choice within Mozilla.
For some reason it did not occur to me to try netscape. Indeed it worked under Netscape, by default. The font Netscape uses is jisx0213. It's not pretty, but it's readable .
Copyright reasons explains why mandrake 8 had it but but not slackware.
Several options for me now, I'll first have a look at the links you posted, then I'll check windows 2000 pro(I don't own an xp yet). If I don't like any of the fonts there as a last resort I'll dust my mandrake machine and boot it one last time to copy the fonts from there .
I have never used /usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/TTF, I always dumped them in /usr/share/fonts, works everytime except this time, i just realized Traditional Chinese fonts are corrupted, the characters are only patially visible. Simplified Chinese is nice, so do Korean & Jpn. Not sure why now.
Actually, copying the files in "/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/TTF", logout from kde then startx and it worked, without even rebooting.
The fonts I used were not from my own windows, which is on another machine. It would have been troublesome to copy them to this machine. Rather than that, I preferred to just download them from this site :