LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   is it wise to upgrade to kernel 2.4.21 (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/is-it-wise-to-upgrade-to-kernel-2-4-21-a-81546/)

duister 08-13-2003 02:26 AM

is it wise to upgrade to kernel 2.4.21
 
Hi

about 3 weeks ago i migrated from windows XP to slackware 9.

Currently i am using kernel 2.4.20 (bare.i) i have a pretty fast machine, athlonXP 1500, and 512mb (okay not the fastest on earth or anything, but still..)

Anyway i am curious, is it usefull to upgrade to the latest kernel? does it improve performance or anything, since i have to install quite some applications again, i would like to know if it is worth the effort, or that i should wait.

Thanks in advance,

cheers

jharris 08-13-2003 02:55 AM

I'm pretty sure that there was a bug fix in the scheduler in 2.4.21 so its probably worth doing if you have the time. I wouldn't expect to see any massive difference though as IIRC the bug was pretty small, especially to have not been noticed sooner.

If you do upgrade the kernel you shouldn't need to recompile any applications, the only exception being custom kernel modules. I tend to upgrade if there is a specific change that will support new hardware that I have or fix a bug that affects me, apart from that I tend to take the view that the effort probably won't out weight the gains. (IMHO).

HTH

Jamie...

reclusivemonkey 08-13-2003 03:50 AM

When I recompile my stock 2.4.20 kernel specifically for my Athlon XP I definitely notice a performance increase. Its not my imagination I am sure as I time the kernel compiles :-)

duister 08-13-2003 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by reclusivemonkey
When I recompile my stock 2.4.20 kernel specifically for my Athlon XP I definitely notice a performance increase. Its not my imagination I am sure as I time the kernel compiles :-)
Thanks all for the replies. Where can i find info on comiling the kernel specially for the ahtlonXP?

since i am pretty interested in that. :)

cheers,

crashmeister 08-13-2003 07:58 AM

There is only one option for your specific processor under 'Processor type and features' .Select whatever applies to your box.And forget about exotic gcc flags.They are not used when you compile the kernel.You can make it use them but nobody will be able to help you if things go wrong then.

Noryungi 08-13-2003 08:11 AM

***YES***

Upgrade to 2.4.21 as soon as possible, as it fixes some rather serious security problems.

Take a look at the following for more info:
http://www.slackware.com/security/vi...ecurity.522012

reclusivemonkey 08-13-2003 08:50 AM

Quote:

Where can i find info on comiling the kernel specially for the ahtlonXP?

since i am pretty interested in that. :)

cheers,

Bear with me till I get home from work and I'll give you the quick and easy method ;)

reclusivemonkey 08-13-2003 09:50 AM

I suggest compiling the kernel at the console. Whether or not thats good practice, I don't know but it feels right. I am sure it is quicker than in X too, but I may be wrong.

1. Download the 2.4.21 kernel source. You can get it from many places, I am sure you can find it.

2. Save the file to /usr/src

3. Unpack the kernel source. It will unpack to a directory called linux-2.4.21

4. Create a symlink to the file

ln -s linux-2.4.21 linux

5. cd into /usr/src/linux

6. Type make menuconfig and tweak away! To see what options were included in your install, check the /boot/config file for reference.

7. The particular area you are interested in is Processor type and features, then Processor family. Choose Athlon/Duron/K7.

8. Once you have done tweaking, save the config with a meaningful name (2.4.21-test), and exit, saving the setup.

9. Type the following

date >> kernel.timer; make dep; make clean; make bzImage; make modules; make modules_install; date >> kernel.timer

and go make a cup of tea :-) By using the date >> kernel.timer
line, you can see how long it took to compile. You can then compile again with the new kernel, without having to choose all the options again. and see how long it takes. You don't have to do anything with it once you have compiled again, its just a test :-)

10. Once you have finsihed compiling the new kernel, copy it to /boot with a more meaningful name:

cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-2.4.21-test

11. Copy the System.map to boot with a more meaningful name

cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.21-test

12. Delete the symlink /boot/System.map

rm /boot/System.map

13. Create a symlink to the new System.map

ln -s System.map-2.4.21 System.map

14. Add the following to /etc/lilo.conf

image = /boot/bzImage-2.4.21-test
root = /dev/hda6 [this should be the same as your existing one]
label = Test
read-only

save, and run lilo (just type lilo), you should see test added.

15. Reboot and pray! Because you are using a new kernel version you don't have to worrry about backing up your old modules, but if ever you want to recompile a new kernel but preserve your old modules in cases you need to boot back into your original state, then cp /lib/modules/2.4.21 /lib/modules/2.4.21.bak

16. If it fails, you only need to link System.map back to System.map-ide-2.4.20

17. The very best of British!

duister 08-13-2003 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by reclusivemonkey
I suggest compiling the kernel at the console. Whether or not thats good practice, I don't know but it feels right. I am sure it is quicker than in X too, but I may be wrong.

1. Download the 2.4.21 kernel source. You can get it from many places, I am sure you can find it.

2. Save the file to /usr/src

3. Unpack the kernel source. It will unpack to a directory called linux-2.4.21

4. Create a symlink to the file

ln -s linux-2.4.21 linux

5. cd into /usr/src/linux

6. Type make menuconfig and tweak away! To see what options were included in your install, check the /boot/config file for reference.

7. The particular area you are interested in is Processor type and features, then Processor family. Choose Athlon/Duron/K7.

8. Once you have done tweaking, save the config with a meaningful name (2.4.21-test), and exit, saving the setup.

9. Type the following

date >> kernel.timer; make dep; make clean; make bzImage; make modules; make modules_install; date >> kernel.timer

and go make a cup of tea :-) By using the date >> kernel.timer
line, you can see how long it took to compile. You can then compile again with the new kernel, without having to choose all the options again. and see how long it takes. You don't have to do anything with it once you have compiled again, its just a test :-)

10. Once you have finsihed compiling the new kernel, copy it to /boot with a more meaningful name:

cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-2.4.21-test

11. Copy the System.map to boot with a more meaningful name

cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.21-test

12. Delete the symlink /boot/System.map

rm /boot/System.map

13. Create a symlink to the new System.map

ln -s System.map-2.4.21 System.map

14. Add the following to /etc/lilo.conf

image = /boot/bzImage-2.4.21-test
root = /dev/hda6 [this should be the same as your existing one]
label = Test
read-only

save, and run lilo (just type lilo), you should see test added.

15. Reboot and pray! Because you are using a new kernel version you don't have to worrry about backing up your old modules, but if ever you want to recompile a new kernel but preserve your old modules in cases you need to boot back into your original state, then cp /lib/modules/2.4.21 /lib/modules/2.4.21.bak

16. If it fails, you only need to link System.map back to System.map-ide-2.4.20

17. The very best of British!

Hi reclusivemonkey
thanks.. Very detailed info. Thanks to the other people who responded as well.

I will use this "guide" to upgrade. Will do that this evening or tomorrow.
And enter the results here. :)

cheers,

slipwalker 08-13-2003 11:47 AM

Quote:

date >> kernel.timer; make dep; make clean; make bzImage; make modules; make modules_install; date >> kernel.timer
personally, i'd recommend using "&&" instead of ";"...


date >> kernel.timer && make dep && make clean && make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install && date >> kernel.timer


that way, if anything goes wrong the script stops cleanly.

reclusivemonkey 08-13-2003 12:04 PM

Hey thanks for that slipwalker, I'd often seen && used, but never quite knew the difference :-) I know & is used to put a process in the background what does the second one do, just tell the system there is another command?

zsejk 08-13-2003 09:50 PM

That directive worked like a charm... thanks recluse!!!

:)

For others attempting: make sure you don't select anything in the configuration that you don't actually have... it kinda tends to fault the compilation.

;)

-zsejk

synaptical 08-13-2003 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by zsejk
For others attempting: make sure you don't select anything in the configuration that you don't actually have... it kinda tends to fault the compilation.
i'm getting ready to compile 2.4.21 using reclusive's directions also. one question: i have a barton, so which processor option should i choose?

kleptophobiac 08-13-2003 10:53 PM

Athlon/Duron/K7

The optimizations are all the same IIRC.

The only thing that I don't know about is SSE support, since the newer athlons have it.

thundersnows 08-13-2003 11:27 PM

i'm using slackware 8.1 kernel 2.4.18.
if i upgrade my kernel to 2.4.21, is that mean my slackware version become 9 ?
btw, i have network issue with my box right now. so i'm thinking to upgrade my kernel.
if i upgrade my kernel, do i have to setup all my hardware again ?
i've lanstreamer network adapter and ac'97 audio. i've read that these two hardware is already supported by the latest kernel.
so, which one will be use, previous driver or from latest kernel ?
and for my configuration like in /etc/rc.d, do i have to setup all again ? thanks.
btw, this guide is the best i've read. simple and easy to follow.
i think it would be easier to learn linux if all howto's document like this.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.