LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Installing Slackware with GPT partition table (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/installing-slackware-with-gpt-partition-table-860957/)

Skaperen 02-05-2011 09:44 PM

Installing Slackware with GPT partition table
 
I need to use a GPT partition table and tried installing Slackware(64) 13.1. But it reported that there were no partitions when the disk did have about 10 partitions in the GPT partition table. The MBR partition table was set up with the protective entry that is normal with GPT.

I did a test install using just 2 partitions, initially pointed to via an MBR partition table, and later changed over to a GPT partition table pointing to the same sectors, with the protective MBR, and Slackware boots up and runs just fine.

The lilo command also works just fine. I tried it because I was not sure if it looked at the partition entries, and it would be a critical piece to keep the system running.

Any idea when Slackware will have GPT support? GPT is required for partitions larger than 2TB or starting after the 2TB line. There are now 3TB drives out, and RAID arrays much larger than 2TB have been possible for years.

allend 02-06-2011 12:45 AM

Slackware 13.1 already has support for GPT compiled into the stock kernels.
Quote:

bash-4.1$ grep EFI /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_EFI=y
# CONFIG_FB_EFI is not set
CONFIG_EFI_VARS=m
CONFIG_CACHEFILES=m
# CONFIG_CACHEFILES_DEBUG is not set
# CONFIG_CACHEFILES_HISTOGRAM is not set
CONFIG_EFI_PARTITION=y
There is a problem with some disk tools that do not support GPT (e.g.fdisk and cfdisk). Use parted instead.

Skaperen 02-06-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allend (Post 4249707)
Slackware 13.1 already has support for GPT compiled into the stock kernels.

There is a problem with some disk tools that do not support GPT (e.g.fdisk and cfdisk). Use parted instead.

You missed the point. I've already made the GPT partitions. The problem is that once this is done, Slackware's installer won't function with it.

rob0 02-06-2011 10:03 AM

I recently saw AlienBOB say something in IRC about adding GPT support to the installer. For now, you will have to do one of various workarounds such as apparently you have done. It's on their TODO list, so it will be done eventually.

Skaperen 02-06-2011 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob0 (Post 4250004)
I recently saw AlienBOB say something in IRC about adding GPT support to the installer. For now, you will have to do one of various workarounds such as apparently you have done. It's on their TODO list, so it will be done eventually.

Hopefully it will be in the version of Slackware following the next one to come. Maybe the next is 13.2 and it will be in 14.0.

imitheos 02-07-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skaperen (Post 4249940)
You missed the point. I've already made the GPT partitions. The problem is that once this is done, Slackware's installer won't function with it.

You can either install to another disk and transfer it to this one,
or do a "manual install" if you are familiar with Slackware. I installed on GPT some time ago
(then i had to compile GPT support in the kernel). You can mkfs/mount the partitions you want and
then installpkg --root /your_mount_point all the packages from the a/ and n/ series. After that
you will need to put the correct entries in lilo.conf and run lilo to put it on the protective MBR.

If everything goes fine, you will have a bootable/usable system. Then you can installpkg
the rest of the system.

Skaperen 02-09-2011 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imitheos (Post 4250976)
You can either install to another disk and transfer it to this one,
or do a "manual install" if you are familiar with Slackware. I installed on GPT some time ago
(then i had to compile GPT support in the kernel). You can mkfs/mount the partitions you want and
then installpkg --root /your_mount_point all the packages from the a/ and n/ series. After that
you will need to put the correct entries in lilo.conf and run lilo to put it on the protective MBR.

If everything goes fine, you will have a bootable/usable system. Then you can installpkg
the rest of the system.

For now what I will do is create all the partitions at arbitrary locations on a temporary extra disk plugged in to be /dev/sda. Then via a Live CD, and the target disk plugged in at /dev/sda (partitioned with gdisk) and the staging disk moved to /dev/sdb, do a raw sector copy of each partition (sizes the same). Then mount the target partitions the way they should be on some mount point, chroot into that, and run lilo.

lemmens 02-16-2011 03:34 AM

GPT and gdisk
 
Hi,

I already use GPT partitions for about 3 years and never had problems with them and Slack.
But I just mount the partition manually and then do an install. Actually most of the time now
I just upgrade using slackpkg and then it even doesn't need to know about the partition type.

BTW: I use gdisk instead of parted for GPT and that works perfectly well and works almost exactly
the same as good old fdisk. When will gdisk be added to Slackware ?

Kees

willysr 02-16-2011 05:56 AM

Is this what you are looking for?
It's now supported in -Current
Quote:

isolinux/initrd.img: Rebuilt.
Support GUID Partition Table (GPT).
usb-and-pxe-installers/usbboot.img: Rebuilt.
Support GUID Partition Table (GPT).

Skaperen 02-16-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemmens (Post 4260086)
Hi,

I already use GPT partitions for about 3 years and never had problems with them and Slack.
But I just mount the partition manually and then do an install. Actually most of the time now
I just upgrade using slackpkg and then it even doesn't need to know about the partition type.

BTW: I use gdisk instead of parted for GPT and that works perfectly well and works almost exactly
the same as good old fdisk. When will gdisk be added to Slackware ?

Kees

My upgrades tend to coincide with hardware upgrades, so I just do the installer on DVD approach. I'll try the mounting manually and see what happens. And I do use gdisk (installed from source) for now (until I get around to write my own).

Skaperen 02-16-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willysr (Post 4260150)
Is this what you are looking for?
It's now supported in -Current

That might be. I'll have to try that out.

Alien Bob 02-16-2011 06:27 PM

If you have a GPT disk, you still need to format a swap partition before starting setup (similar to using a LVM volume for swap): "mkswap /dev/sdX". If you do that, then setup will detect the swap partition and offer to use it.

Eric

piratesmack 02-16-2011 07:03 PM

Cool that the installer got GPT support.
Think it would work to use the -Current installer + 13.1 packages to install Slack 13.1 on GPT?

volkerdi 02-16-2011 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratesmack (Post 4260881)
Cool that the installer got GPT support.
Think it would work to use the -Current installer + 13.1 packages to install Slack 13.1 on GPT?

Yes.

piratesmack 02-16-2011 08:25 PM

Heh, I like the version number shown in the new Current installer (13.37)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.