Originally Posted by astrogeek
If it builds OK, simply removepkg jre (or jdk), then installpkg path-to-new-package.tgz.
The package will then take care of basic environment variables and symlinks, and keep your system clean (and your package DB in sync).
If you hit any snags, perhaps someone with a 64 bit box can chime in here - but it should be pretty simple.
Hats off to that man! I'm running Slackware64 13.37 and have tried everything I could think of and what Google could provide me with in the way of possible solutions. After days of banging my head against a wall with this annoying bloody java issue I finally came across this thread earlier today.
After reading your post, astrogeek, it was indeed very simple. Embaressingly simple in fact. Though I have to admit, in my case it was not being able to see the wood for the trees. (a.k.a being a noob) :>
I checked just out of interest to make sure jre was not installed... and it was!!! So, I removed the jre and jdk packages (I really do _not_ know how jre got on there in the first place!) and installed the jdk once again. Hey presto... as if by magic, it's all working!
user@server:/# java -version
java version "1.7.0_05-icedtea"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea7 2.2.1) (Slackware)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.0-b21, mixed mode)
Thanks astrogeek for that "wake-me-up-i'm-being-an-idiot" slap in the face. Never again will I forget to check if jre is installed first.