first of all Hi from Sydney Aust. im new to LQ and almost new to Linux altogether.
please add your tips and hard earned shortcuts or 'must have' tweaks for my type of situation. i need all the help i can get!
thanks in advance
i have selected sets from the slackware-11.0/slackware directory and would like to learn the method of installation from an attached external hard disk.
the sets i have chosen are;
A, KDE, L, N, and X
additionally i have chosen the slackware-11.0/... directories;
bootdisks (bare.i and README.TXT only)
i have added;
i have had a bit of an introductory and random read of the slack FAQ's, readme's etc and from what i can tell i need to do the following...
1. create boot disk using RAWRITE and the image bare.i (edit config to suit hardware)
2. boot machine using boot floppy from '1.'
3. machine catches fire!! run for your life!! (just kidding)
4. partition and format the target HDD (create /, /usr, /home)
5. select location of SOURCES (in my case - this is the limited sets located on my external HDD)
6. follow install directions, ending with rebooting and password setting
7. start the package tool to run opera into the /usr directory
tada! shiny new slack box.
well, except for the part where i dont know how the ROOT DISK comes into it. :S
so, can i please get some info about where you think i am about to run into probs? what parts do i have upside down?
i am willing to spend lots of time tinkering to get an install method and software set that suits me.
to start with i only need to set it up as an internet box with multimedia and basic desktop apps.