LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   I have finally moved to 14.0. A bit disappointed. (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/i-have-finally-moved-to-14-0-a-bit-disappointed-4175447613/)

stf92 01-28-2013 09:59 PM

I have finally moved to 14.0. A bit disappointed.
 
Hi: I now can install the latter versions of libflashplayer.so and can see some pages like youtube in due form. All of these really superficial things for a programmer. As a result of the install, I have a new Seamonkey web browser, but the default page still warns me that my version is old!

Let's make to questions regarding, for instance, the web browser:
  • Why when I enter the File menu, pressing 'A' does no longer lead me to the Save As dialog box? Fifteen years of pressing this key (I know, ^S, but I happen to have never used it) and now I must press the 'E'!

  • With ^T one opens a new tab. But up to now, the focus went to tab just opened. Now I must use the mouse to have the focus.

These are little things, I'll give you that, but little things getting in the way at all times can be very tiresome. If anyone says this is not a question, I'll give him that too. This is plain protest. And for users of Seamonkey. But there are many other things that are troublesome now. For example, sound installation. I think one of these days I go back to 12.0 and the old, good ways.

manwichmakesameal 01-28-2013 10:30 PM

If you don't like how Seamonkey behaves, take it up with upstream. The Slackware guys just package it. You can always build older version of SM as well, just modify the SlackBuild for it.

stf92 01-28-2013 10:34 PM

But then some sites complain about obsolete browser and do not properly display the page!

jamesf 01-28-2013 10:52 PM

slackbuilds.org has an installer under multimedia/flash-player-plugin

MadMaverick9 01-28-2013 11:27 PM

Well - I have to disagree strongly with this thread.

I just upgraded to Slackware 14.0 over the weekend on both my computers and I have to say ... It's a delight.

Just a few examples of things that are better in Slackware 14.0:
  • screen v4.0.3 has a patch applied to deal with long terminal names. I had to fix this myself on 13.37.
  • Fonts look much better. In 13.37 fonts in webbrowsers always looked kind of bold. Maybe a setup problem on my side, but in Slackware 14.0, out of the box, fonts look good!
  • On my older computer I would get an error message during 13.37 bootup about the sound card, but it would still work. With Slackware 14.0 - no more error message and sound works fine. Correct choice of kernel and alsa in Slackware 14.0.
  • In 13.37 I had to upgrade the xf86-video-intel driver myself (kind of a pain, but fun!), because xscreensaver would crash the xf86-video-intel driver included with 13.37. With 14.0 now - it just works!
  • Gimp 2.8.2 is included now. In 13.37 I had to upgrade gtk2 and lotsa other stuff to get Gimp 2.8.2 to work. Which was fun, don't get me wrong!
  • And last but not least - I can build webkitgtk with gtk3 now, which cures an annoying bug. When building webkitgtk with gtk2 (since in 13.37 we did not have gtk3), it would show black borders around some widgets.
    https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=79680
    http://www.mail-archive.com/webkit-g.../msg01200.html
    So now I can play with dwb.
  • etc, etc.
So from my point of view: Bye Bye 13.37, and Big Welcome 14.0.

Pat, Thanks for Slackware 14.0.

stf92 01-28-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMaverick9 (Post 4879535)
[*]Fonts look much better. In 13.37 fonts in webbrowsers always looked kind of bold. Maybe a setup problem on my side, but in Slackware 14.0, out of the box, fonts look good!

Precisely what I'm hating about 14.0. It had fonts similar to those used in LQ. No longer that, the fonts are horrible. I know I can change them, but that's extra work. Everyone here seems to be fond of state of the art stuff. I'm just an old fashioned programmer, and menus showing a thousand little drawings, seeming like a Chrismas tree, do not appeal to me.

bosth 01-28-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

I'm just an old fashioned programmer, and menus showing a thousand little drawings, seeming like a Chrismas tree, do not appeal to me.
What menus? If this is still Seamonkey, then as pointed out this has nothing to do with Slackware.

stf92 01-28-2013 11:58 PM

It's the DE, Xfce. It can be configure not to show images with the menus, but the default configuration is to show them. And Slackware packages it. Everyday, the GUI, which is that which 99% of Linux users use, is more like Windows. And when I booted for the first time, I was confronted with tiny characters completely unreadable for anybody but enjoying excellent eyesight. Why???

MadMaverick9 01-29-2013 12:05 AM

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=146825#c13

It seems that the "Save page as" keyboard shortcut was changed in 2005. Correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:

With ^T one opens a new tab. But up to now, the focus went to tab just opened. Now I must use the mouse to have the focus.
I just tried this: start Seamonkey 2.15.1 , press "ctrl-t" and a new tab is opened in the foreground. The cursor is actually in the address bar so I can type a url and press Enter. Works as expected, I would say.

kikinovak 01-29-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMaverick9 (Post 4879535)
In 13.37 I had to upgrade the xf86-video-intel driver myself (kind of a pain, but fun!), because xscreensaver would crash the xf86-video-intel driver included with 13.37. With 14.0 now - it just works!

The intel driver uses KMS (Kernel Mode Setting). Include i915 explicitly in your initrd.

If you don't know how to go about this, check out my HOWTO on the subject.

http://www.microlinux.fr/slackware/L...rnel-HOWTO.txt

And also:

http://www.microlinux.fr/slackware/L...LILO-HOWTO.txt

Cheers,

Niki

stf92 01-29-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMaverick9 (Post 4879558)
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=146825#c13

It seems that the "Save page as" keyboard shortcut was changed in 2005. Correct me if I am wrong.


I just tried this: start Seamonkey 2.15.1 , press "ctrl-t" and a new tab is opened in the foreground. The cursor is actually in the address bar so I can type a url and press Enter. Works as expected, I would say.

My mistake. The bloody thing happens (Seamonkey 2.12.1) when right clicking on a link and choosing 'Open link in a new tab'.

Alien Bob 01-29-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stf92 (Post 4880212)
My mistake. The bloody thing happens (Seamonkey 2.12.1) when right clicking on a link and choosing 'Open link in a new tab'.

The world changes and so should you, or else you keep blaming Slackware for issues which are caused by your own ignorance.
Place a check-mark in front of "Switch to new tabs opened from links" which is a preference you'll find in "Edit > Preferences... > Browser > Tabbed Browsing". Firefox has this prefernce too, and it has been available in both browsers for a long time.

stf92 01-29-2013 07:36 PM

Mein Gott. Some kind of religious zeal in the slackware forum? I'll right tell I do not like to have to look for the way to something I had no need to do before. This satisfies merely commercial needs above all. Look how we are approaching Windows in the user interface. The home directory full with (My) Pictures, (My) Documents and so on. Why do I have to have premade directories? If I want a directory I create it. If I don't like it, I destroy it. But try to remove ~/Desktop and you won't be able to do so if you are not a guru. My debut in 14.0 preannounced all these things: the text console was now written in minute characters. I suppose there was a reason to make it this way, perhaps to desperate people not enjoying good eyesight in trying to find the documentation that would let them see the documentation!

volkerdi 01-29-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stf92 (Post 4880251)
Mein Gott. Some kind of religious zeal in the slackware forum? I'll right tell I do not like to have to look for the way to something I had no need to do before. This satisfies merely commercial needs above all. Look how we are approaching Windows in the user interface. The home directory full with (My) Pictures, (My) Documents and so on. Why do I have to have premade directories? If I want a directory I create it. If I don't like it, I destroy it. But try to remove ~/Desktop and you won't be able to do so if you are not a guru. My debut in 14.0 preannounced all these things: the text console was now written in minute characters. I suppose there was a reason to make it this way, perhaps to desperate people not enjoying good eyesight in trying to find the documentation that would let them see the documentation!

Not a single one of your issues originated in our work, nor did we have a choice in the matter. To be honest, I agree with many of your points, but if you're going to complain you should make an effort to complain to the right people... the ones who can do anything about it.

MadMaverick9 01-29-2013 08:49 PM

@kikinovak

It had nothing to do with KMS, as far as I could tell, but everything with this issue.

The developer of xscreensaver has to say the following about x-server crashes:
Quote:

Try upgrading your X server and video drivers.
So I upgraded the video driver and it fixed my problems at the time.

And yes - I was confusing myself at the time back in 2011. At first I downgraded the xf86-video-intel driver, but then later decided to upgrade it instead. Just for the fun of it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM.