LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 10-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
hj1967
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Nunspeet, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware x64
Posts: 28

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
hp-toolbox broken


the hp-toolbox program (part of the hplip package) is broken since HP released the second update in October. (3.12.10a)

There is a version check and that fails because it can not handle 10a. It is not realy a
Slackware problem but the current version is broken now.

It fails with the following error:

Code:
\Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/hp-toolbox", line 257, in <module>
    toolbox = DevMgr5(__version__, device_uri,  None)
  File "/usr/share/hplip/ui4/devmgr5.py", line 204, in __init__
    if not utils.Is_HPLIP_older_version( installed_version,  self.user_settings.latest_available_version):
  File "/usr/share/hplip/base/utils.py", line 1927, in Is_HPLIP_older_version
    if(int(installed_array[cnt]) < int(available_array[cnt])):
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: "10a Public Release</a><br />')"
Should I build a new package from the latest source or is here a python hacker who can
tell me which lines I have to delete to disable the buggy version check.

Henk Jan
 
Old 10-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
ReaperX7
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2011
Distribution: LFS-SVN, Slackware-14.1, PCBSD-10.0
Posts: 2,852
Blog Entries: 15

Rep: Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743Reputation: 743
You might want to check with HP and see if they have a more recent version of HPLIP. Grab Patrick's SlackBuild from the /source directory of your Source DVD or online, and use it and the updated (if it exists) HPLIP driver to create a new package.
 
Old 10-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
hj1967
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Nunspeet, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware x64
Posts: 28

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperX7 View Post
You might want to check with HP and see if they have a more recent version of HPLIP. Grab Patrick's SlackBuild from the /source directory of your Source DVD or online, and use it and the updated (if it exists) HPLIP driver to create a new package.
I have build a new package using the hplib-3.12.10a from the website and as hp-toolbox works again.

I have reported a bug about the version update. https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/1068867
 
Old 10-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
titopoquito
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Ruhr Area, Germany
Distribution: Slackware64 14.0
Posts: 1,517

Rep: Reputation: 90
I have only tested it in a python shell, am not a python hacker and take no responsibility for any damages That said, you could try:

Code:
if((installed_array.split()[0]) < (available_array.split()[0])):
This should regard "10" lower than "10a" and "10b" higher than "10a" and so on.

EDIT: Glad you sorted it out already
 
Old 10-19-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
hgjanu
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2012
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
hplip - utils.py error

Quote:
Originally Posted by titopoquito View Post
I have only tested it in a python shell, am not a python hacker and take no responsibility for any damages That said, you could try:

Code:
if((installed_array.split()[0]) < (available_array.split()[0])):
This should regard "10" lower than "10a" and "10b" higher than "10a" and so on.

EDIT: Glad you sorted it out already
I corrected the utils.py - and I got a new error:
Code:
  
File "/usr/share/hplip/base/utils.py", line 1937, in Is_HPLIP_older_version
    if((installed_array.split()[0]) < (available_array.split()[0])):
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'split'
What can I do?
 
Old 10-20-2012, 03:24 AM   #6
hj1967
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Nunspeet, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware x64
Posts: 28

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgjanu View Post
I corrected the utils.py - and I got a new error:
Code:
  
File "/usr/share/hplip/base/utils.py", line 1937, in Is_HPLIP_older_version
    if((installed_array.split()[0]) < (available_array.split()[0])):
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'split'
What can I do?
I think the best is to get the 'doinst.sh.gz slack-desc hplip.SlackBuild' from the slackware sources
and use the hplip-3.12.10a.tar.gz from the HPLIP website and then build the new package
and use upgradepkg to install the package.

The reply I got from the HPLIB people: This issue has been resolved in hplip 3.12.10a version

Last edited by hj1967; 10-20-2012 at 03:45 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
tronayne
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Northeastern Michigan, where Carhartt is a Designer Label
Distribution: Slackware 32- & 64-bit Stable
Posts: 3,006

Rep: Reputation: 742Reputation: 742Reputation: 742Reputation: 742Reputation: 742Reputation: 742Reputation: 742
Hey, thanks for this -- just did a clean install of Slackware 14.0 64-bit and, guess what, HPLIP wasn't working (hp-setup did, printing worked on an Ethernet and an USB printers but no joy with the little hp icon). I was about the go to the H-P website and see about the version, read your posts, ah-ha, got it, built it, installed it and life is good.
 
Old 10-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
hj1967
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Nunspeet, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware x64
Posts: 28

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by tronayne View Post
Hey, thanks for this -- just did a clean install of Slackware 14.0 64-bit and, guess what, HPLIP wasn't working (hp-setup did, printing worked on an Ethernet and an USB printers but no joy with the little hp icon). I was about the go to the H-P website and see about the version, read your posts, ah-ha, got it, built it, installed it and life is good.
Yes it a bug introduce by HP unfortunately and you need to upgrade the package. I don't think it is important enough to get an update package as a Slackware Patch
but rebuilding the package from the latest sources is easy.
 
Old 10-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #9
hgjanu
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2012
Posts: 2

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
The last package (3.12.10a) solved the problem. Thanks.
 
Old 01-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #10
kikinovak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: ElementaryOS, Ubuntu LTS, Slackware
Posts: 1,497

Rep: Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682
I've put an update for HPLIP 3.12.11 on my package repo.

Code:
Sun Jan 20 14:22:30 CET 2013
patches/hplip-3.12.11-i486-1_microlinux.txz: Upgraded.
patches/hplip-3.12.11-x86_64-1_microlinux.txz: Upgraded.
  Fix for broken 'hp-toolbox' utility.
Source:

http://www.microlinux.fr/slackware/1.../source/hplip/

Packages:

http://www.microlinux.fr/slackware/1...microlinux.txz
http://www.microlinux.fr/slackware/1...microlinux.txz

Enjoy,

Niki
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
kikinovak
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: ElementaryOS, Ubuntu LTS, Slackware
Posts: 1,497

Rep: Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682Reputation: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by hj1967 View Post
Yes it a bug introduce by HP unfortunately and you need to upgrade the package. I don't think it is important enough to get an update package as a Slackware Patch
but rebuilding the package from the latest sources is easy.
I'd say 'hp-toolbox' being unable to start is a rather critical bug.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: My sysadmin toolbox LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 04-07-2006 10:03 PM
LXer: My sysadmin toolbox LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 01-20-2006 09:01 PM
LXer: My sysadmin toolbox LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 12-27-2005 01:01 PM
HPLIP toolbox zba78 Slackware 0 02-10-2005 05:25 AM
Radio toolbox Gilion Linux - Software 0 05-04-2004 01:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration