LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   how to seed slackware 13 torrent (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/how-to-seed-slackware-13-torrent-883445/)

Trio3b 05-30-2011 01:43 AM

how to seed slackware 13 torrent
 
new to ktorrent on PCLINUXOS. Downloaded slack 13 and would like to seed but apparantly the download is automaticilly started but the finished file is not uploading.

Opened ktorrent>settings>configure ktorrent and asks for path to file then wants a tracker.

reading howto create your own tracker sounds very complicated (b/c of dynamic IP, routing, port forwarding, ISP bandwidth) but searching for a third party tracker returns some very cheesy/shady looking websites with tracking services but also links to all kinds of junk , dating services and the like etc.I'm not comfortable with opening my PC to these cheesy looking URLs.

1. What is a safe tracker to use (does Slackware have one?)and will it give me a URL to plug into the ktorrent dialog box?

2.what should my PC firewall settings be. Right now just allow bittorent is checked? I don't want to mess with my router as I just got local networking up and running and don't want to tinker with it.

[UPDATE] looks like seeding started but very little very slowly. What tracker is being used if I haven't entered a tracker into the dialog box? Is this whole thing safe? I'm used to ftp or http downloads for isos.
Thanks

Slax-Dude 05-30-2011 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trio3b (Post 4370707)
new to ktorrent on PCLINUXOS. Downloaded slack 13 and would like to seed but apparantly the download is automaticilly started but the finished file is not uploading.

ktorrent automatically starts seeding as soon as download finishes, unless you specified otherwise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trio3b (Post 4370707)
Opened ktorrent>settings>configure ktorrent and asks for path to file then wants a tracker.

You should not have to create a new torrent to seed.
Simply click on the torrent file from the slackware website here and if you already downloaded it and still have the file on your computer, it will start seeding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trio3b (Post 4370707)
reading howto create your own tracker sounds very complicated (b/c of dynamic IP, routing, port forwarding, ISP bandwidth) but searching for a third party tracker returns some very cheesy/shady looking websites with tracking services but also links to all kinds of junk , dating services and the like etc.I'm not comfortable with opening my PC to these cheesy looking URLs.

I would suggest you first get comfortable _using_ torrents before you try _creating_ torrents ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trio3b (Post 4370707)
1. What is a safe tracker to use (does Slackware have one?)and will it give me a URL to plug into the ktorrent dialog box?

the tracker is already defined in the torrent file.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trio3b (Post 4370707)
2.what should my PC firewall settings be. Right now just allow bittorent is checked? I don't want to mess with my router as I just got local networking up and running and don't want to tinker with it.

If you have UPnP configured, ktorrent will open the needed ports on the firewall automatically.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trio3b (Post 4370707)
[UPDATE] looks like seeding started but very little very slowly. What tracker is being used if I haven't entered a tracker into the dialog box? Is this whole thing safe? I'm used to ftp or http downloads for isos.
Thanks

Like I said above, the tracker is defined by the torrent file creator.
If the tracker was not defined then downloading would not work (unless you used DHT).
The same tracker is used for downloading and uploading (seeding).

Please note that both downloading and seeding speeds depend on 2 factors:
1) your internet bandwith
2) the bandwith of the other clients that download or seed to you.
The tracker does not control speed, it simply introduces clients to each other.

As for safety: your PC will not explode due to bittorrent protocol use ;)

I suggest you read a bit more about it in the usual place.

Trio3b 05-30-2011 10:07 AM

Ok looks like seeding on the several d/ls is going although slowly. Thanks.

Pretty sure no explosions imminent, but in the words of the immortal George Carlin:

"I'm not afraid of all hell breaking loose. I'm afraid of a piece of hell breaking loose. It'll be much harder to detect"


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.