SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
I tried to upgrade. Everything seemed to go well. I installed the dep and then the alien packages without issue. when KDE came up, there was a duplicate panel at the top of the screen and the performance was terrible. Anything that I tried to activate would not respond but would show if I switched to different desktop. It was all very strange. I am not used to having issues with Slackware packages but I think this must have been something I did wrong.
I am running -current with KDE 4.4.5 without issue now.
Well, I gave it a go again and moved the .new files this time with the same effect. It appears to have something to do with the dual monitor setup. I disabled the second monitor and everything is working now. Is there some change in KDE that would bugger up a dual monitor? I'm using an FX5200 nVidia with the 173 driver build from the slackbuilds.org build script. The following is my xorg.conf:
Got it. Evidently my video card is too old. The legacy173 driver seems to not play well with the opengl compositing. This is not a huge deal. I had opengl set previously and disable functionality checks checked without issue. 4.5.0 seems to develop problems with this. 4.4.5 could deal with it. I will miss some of the eye candy for now. I think it may be time to upgrade the vid card.
I have not had problems with dolphin (kde445 and kde450). I was surprised at reports about the Dolphin above. It will, perhaps because I use proprietary Nvidia drivers?
I had and have problems using kde45 when resize panel .... The "X" crash!
Another problem with KTorrent was not started. I resolved by copying the
lib /usr/lib64/ "libktorrent.so.2.0.1." Lack of these lib ,cause error in plugin kget ... I copied the lib from another installation on another partition.I also did :
#ln -s /usr/lib64/libktorrent.so.2 /usr/lib64/libktorrent.so
there's reports too on slacky.eu that upgrading dbus seems to solve things, worth a try.
be aware that, like phobos says there, after having rebuilt latest dbus from pat's scripts you better switch to init 1, to kill all processes that are using dbus, before "upgradepkg --install-new --reinstall" the new dbus package, then reboot your system.