LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #1
dont_stop_me
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Romania
Distribution: Slackware 12
Posts: 42

Rep: Reputation: 15
how to create my own slackware install DVD with my own kernel


Hi,I'm trying to install Slackware 64 on a raid 0 fakeraid, I found out that I need kernel support for that. Dm raid. What I did was, I made a virtual machine with no raid compiled the kernel and created a new iso
file wich included in the /kernels folder my own kernel too. I burned the image but on boot I got the "image checksum error..."

I got confused by all the stuff I've read about linux booting.

I need a simple guide how to make a custom made Slackware iso to boot. How do I generate new checksums, how should I write the iso file to make it work?
 
Old 03-04-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
kodon
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: [jax][fl][usa]
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 796

Rep: Reputation: 31
hop on the slackware ftp or mirror
browse to the release you want
enter the isolinux dir
check out the readme files
 
Old 03-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: SlackwareŽ
Posts: 11,150
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1408Reputation: 1408Reputation: 1408Reputation: 1408Reputation: 1408Reputation: 1408Reputation: 1408Reputation: 1408Reputation: 1408Reputation: 1408
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dont_stop_me View Post
Hi,I'm trying to install Slackware 64 on a raid 0 fakeraid, I found out that I need kernel support for that. Dm raid. What I did was, I made a virtual machine with no raid compiled the kernel and created a new iso
file wich included in the /kernels folder my own kernel too. I burned the image but on boot I got the "image checksum error..."

I got confused by all the stuff I've read about linux booting.

I need a simple guide how to make a custom made Slackware iso to boot. How do I generate new checksums, how should I write the iso file to make it work?
'Cooking Up Some Slack (CUSS)' may give you some insight.


The above link and others can be found at 'Slackware-Links'. More than just SlackwareŽ links!
 
Old 03-05-2010, 03:31 AM   #4
dont_stop_me
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Romania
Distribution: Slackware 12
Posts: 42

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodon View Post
hop on the slackware ftp or mirror
browse to the release you want
enter the isolinux dir
check out the readme files
Thanks I managed to make the bootable ISO, by reading the instructions.
 
Old 03-05-2010, 03:33 AM   #5
dont_stop_me
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Romania
Distribution: Slackware 12
Posts: 42

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck View Post
Hi,



'Cooking Up Some Slack (CUSS)' may give you some insight.


The above link and others can be found at 'Slackware-Links'. More than just SlackwareŽ links!
Thanks it really gave a push forward, opened some new questions but definetly a step forward.
 
  


Reply

Tags
boot, checksum, disk, image, slackware


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to create F8 install CD's from DVD? cgc2 Fedora 5 04-10-2008 01:19 PM
Create a Custom Debian Install CD/DVD ajithgeorge Debian 1 10-10-2007 11:27 AM
Slackware 12.0 install DVD kernel panic ??? milanbankovic Slackware - Installation 2 07-15-2007 04:36 PM
Create install CDs from DVD zaphod_es Mandriva 1 05-06-2005 08:29 AM
create own install dvd ? ilovebytes Linux - General 0 01-07-2004 03:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration