LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   How to compile slackware for yourself on you own computer (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/how-to-compile-slackware-for-yourself-on-you-own-computer-671950/)

qdog988 09-23-2008 11:55 PM

How to compile slackware for yourself on you own computer
 
Few days ago,I have build LFS and BLFS successful,the speed is so exciting,but I like slackware very much,so I want to build slackware on my own computer,can anybody give me some advice,or how to do it,or this method is wrong. thanks a lot.

johnson_steve 09-24-2008 12:11 AM

Slack isn't a source based distro. maybe you should try gentoo (shameless plug for my own favorite distro.) can't you install a very minimal slack system and then recompile the kernel and install all your applications from source code? this would result in an almost entirely source based system that should be just as fast as gentoo or lfs. what is it that you like about slack so much? to be honest I used slack for a while and found gentoo much easier to maintain and install new software on, so I switched and never looked back. slack is a very basic distro that should lend itself quite well to this type of project.

gnashley 09-24-2008 02:17 AM

If you have already been through an LFS build, you should know what you need to do to create a distro from scratch... Actually, simply following the cut-n-paste scripts for LFS or building gentoo won't necessarily impress on you the essential order and content for creating a distro from scratch.
You might find it better to have a look at DIY linux as it seeems to be a little easier to follow.
Basically, you start with building a new kernel and creating a kernel-headers package. Then you compile your new glibc using those headers. Then you compile a new binutils using those headers and linking against your new glibc. then you build a new compiler using the new headers, the new binutils and linking with the new glibc. then you recompile them all again to make sure the circle is round. Then, you compile the other basic tools needed for a running system, including bash, util-linux, coreutils, perl, gawk and sed. One you have the basic system bootable, you can proceed to compile all the rest.

Pay attention to the build order and program list for the first two phases of the compile. That's where the 'secret' lies. If you simply want to recompile Slackware for the same architecture, it can be done a bit more simply and without any chrooting.

empcrono 09-24-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qdog988 (Post 3289890)
Few days ago,I have build LFS and BLFS successful,the speed is so exciting,but I like slackware very much,so I want to build slackware on my own computer,can anybody give me some advice,or how to do it,or this method is wrong. thanks a lot.

Wow I am interested in this same very thing. I think its a wonderful Idea. I have had several threads opened and I have even opened some of my own. I have gone through CUSS etc.

Quote:


Slack isn't a source based distro. maybe you should try gentoo (shameless plug for my own favorite distro.) can't you install a very minimal slack system and then recompile the kernel and install all your applications from source code? this would result in an almost entirely source based system that should be just as fast as gentoo or lfs. what is it that you like about slack so much? to be honest I used slack for a while and found gentoo much easier to maintain and install new software on, so I switched and never looked back. slack is a very basic distro that should lend itself quite well to this type of project.
Yesterday 11:55 PM
The advantage to using Slackware over the other two distro's LFS and Gentoo is this. Once you have compiled the software from source using SlackBuilds you have a compiled program that you do not have to compile again for that particular type of machine. You would lose that advantage if you just installed a minim system and then progressed to the install those packages from source. letting Slackware keep track of the packages in the central database is also useful. To top it all off Pat has done a lot of optimizations himself insuring the over all fitness of the Slackware system. Also think of the ability to package a install disk customized for a particular system, you would be able to just throw in the disk type setup etc etc have a fully up and running customized system within 20 mins or something. With Gentoo LFS you have to start over each time. The amount work required for the three choices seems about the same moreover Slackware just seems more module and practical.

johnson_steve 09-24-2008 12:30 PM

No, you can build binary packages with gentoo and then reinstall them without compiling. I don't but you could. I've got a dual core Athlon64 so everything compiles quite fast. I don't mind the wait. I like having everything compiled for my system with my options. If you don't like compiling things gentoo isn't for you.

empcrono 09-24-2008 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnson_steve (Post 3290516)
No, you can build binary packages with gentoo and then reinstall them without compiling. I don't but you could. I've got a dual core Athlon64 so everything compiles quite fast. I don't mind the wait. I like having everything compiled for my system with my options. If you don't like compiling things gentoo isn't for you.


I see, thanks for clearing that up. BTW maybe, (most likely the case), I do not at all no what I am talking about. Whats the difference between a Slackware package compiled using SlackBuilds. I mean A SlackBuild takes source and turns into a package right? And When you install a Package unto a system is there a difference? To be sure, is there a difference between a Program Compiled from source, (using SlackBuild), and optimized for your system, then there is (compared to) a program just installed from source period? Of course assuming everything is being installed on that same system i.e. I compiled a program using a SlackBuild for a i486 (I/m using i686) and installed it on that type of system. A lets say you just installed from source whats the difference?

MannyNix 09-25-2008 02:36 PM

op: You may also want to take a look at jong357's jaguarlinux.com

empcrono 09-26-2008 03:21 PM

Okay I went and checked out Gentoo because I loved the idea of compiling from source etc etc. Well everything else I loved is thrown out the door. I can not make head or tails with Gentoo its like being in the dark.



However the idea of having a base Slackware distro compiled from source remains something to be desired. I will keep fiddling but its looks like it will be some time before that happens. However on a positive note it looks like things are moving in a good direction non the less.

Still any piece of info helps

edit:

Quote:

If you simply want to recompile Slackware for the same architecture
For the moment all I want to do is recompile Slackware for my architecture any suggestions?

johnson_steve 09-26-2008 06:37 PM

what are you having trouble with on gentoo?

empcrono 09-26-2008 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnson_steve (Post 3292899)
what are you having trouble with on gentoo?

Okay the installer seems strait forward not much there. I was booting from a live CD and it worked great net worked etc strait out. Also I read through the help guides etc and some times I wounder if I'm using what their talking about. Yet in short when I reboot after install I get this long long wait then when it finally starts to boot the screen is all fuzzy then that clears its self up. When I try to boot into Gnome it doesn't work. On the good side, I think the log in screen is pretty and stuff. I can boot into Xfce and it seems to work okay. Still however, my internet does not work and at boot up it says no such device.

bgeddy 09-26-2008 08:31 PM

There was a very long and involved thread a while back with someone who did exactly this - it may be of use to you. You can find it here

rob.rice 09-29-2008 08:17 PM

A huge short cut would be to install a 64bit based on slackware distro
(but this is linux build your own system if you like)
at this point I know of 3 slamd64,bluewhite64 and sflack
I have BW64 and am well pleased with the speed boost from the 64bit distro
the bench marks I have run put this computer on a par with CPUs that cost more than this laptop


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 PM.