LinuxQuestions.org
View the Most Wanted LQ Wiki articles.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
arodlinux
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: today here, 2morrow there, next week anywhere
Distribution: Slackware64 14, openSuse 12.3,
Posts: 70

Rep: Reputation: 27
How may Slackers run Boinc?


Just wondering??? How many of the Slackers here run Boinc (or any other platform for distributed computing) on their computers? and where home computer, at work, school?
 
Old 08-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
yooy
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,219

Rep: Reputation: 139Reputation: 139
pc on linux mint run boinc - rosetta@home
pc on xubuntu has installed distributed.net
3 pcs on windows xp machines we have electric sheep (had that also installed on xubuntu but won't run after update to 12.04)

only one machine has installed electric sheep on work. I love distributed computing projects.

and planning to expand installations, maybe also on slackware someday.

Just wondering, how much profit can you make with bitcoin?
 
Old 08-03-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
larrybpsu
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Location: Uniontown PA, USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 25

Rep: Reputation: 7
I run Boinc on 7 Slackware systems: Slack 11.0 up through 13.37. World Community Grid.

The 11.0 boxes need an older version of the Boinc client, but I usually only run them as the temp goes down, and the PC BTU's help keep my home warm.

The oldest system is a dual Pentium Pro - 200 MHz w/512K cache. Not very productive, but generates some serious warmth! This SAME system participated in the DES challenge way back in in the late 1990's! Other systems include a couple of IBM ThinkPad A21p's. P3 1GHz, an IBM Netvista X40 with a P3 1GHz, and an IBM ThinkPad A31p with a P4M 2.6GHz. The other's are AMD dual cores 2.4 GHz.

I shut most of these systems down in April. I anticipate that I'll fire them up in late October or November. My electric bills shoot up about $100 USD/mo. to run all of this equipment.

Cheaper than buying heating oil, and benefits humanity at the same time. That's a big plus to me.

My other four systems at home run Slack64 13.0, with AMD quad/hex cores for Folding@Home (as larryb_home). Their main purpose is to run MythTV 0.20, and hold a total of 7TB of storage of TV programs that I record on the side. I shut all but the main server down in the summer, after the TV season is over. These also help out in the heating of my home during the winter.

--

Larry

Last edited by larrybpsu; 08-03-2012 at 11:46 PM.
 
Old 08-03-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
volkerdi
Slackware Maintainer
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Location: Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware! :-)
Posts: 876

Rep: Reputation: 1826Reputation: 1826Reputation: 1826Reputation: 1826Reputation: 1826Reputation: 1826Reputation: 1826Reputation: 1826Reputation: 1826Reputation: 1826Reputation: 1826
Quote:
Originally Posted by arodlinux View Post
Just wondering??? How many of the Slackers here run Boinc (or any other platform for distributed computing) on their computers? and where home computer, at work, school?
I know someone who does!

http://www.fi.boincstats.com/en/stat...r/detail/23084
 
Old 08-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #5
kingbeowulf
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: WA
Distribution: Slackware64 14.1, Slackware 14.1
Posts: 526

Rep: Reputation: 140Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkerdi View Post
I better get crackin' and fire up up a few more systems. I'm falling behind!

http://www.fi.boincstats.com/en/stat...93031/overview
 
Old 08-04-2012, 01:42 AM   #6
damgar
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: dallas, tx
Distribution: Slackware - current multilib/gsb Arch
Posts: 1,949
Blog Entries: 8

Rep: Reputation: 201Reputation: 201Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybpsu View Post
I run Boinc on 7 Slackware systems: Slack 11.0 up through 13.37. World Community Grid.

The 11.0 boxes need an older version of the Boinc client, but I usually only run them as the temp goes down, and the PC BTU's help keep my home warm.

The oldest system is a dual Pentium Pro - 200 MHz w/512K cache. Not very productive, but generates some serious warmth! This SAME system participated in the DES challenge way back in in the late 1990's! Other systems include a couple of IBM ThinkPad A21p's. P3 1GHz, an IBM Netvista X40 with a P3 1GHz, and an IBM ThinkPad A31p with a P4M 2.6GHz. The other's are AMD dual cores 2.4 GHz.

I shut most of these systems down in April. I anticipate that I'll fire them up in late October or November. My electric bills shoot up about $100 USD/mo. to run all of this equipment.

Cheaper than buying heating oil, and benefits humanity at the same time. That's a big plus to me.

My other four systems at home run Slack64 13.0, with AMD quad/hex cores for Folding@Home (as larryb_home). Their main purpose is to run MythTV 0.20, and hold a total of 7TB of storage of TV programs that I record on the side. I shut all but the main server down in the summer, after the TV season is over. These also help out in the heating of my home during the winter.

--

Larry
This has to be the most innovative way to heat your home that I've ever heard. Congratulations! LOL
 
Old 08-04-2012, 02:05 AM   #7
Nylex
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Jul 2003
Location: London, UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,464

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I hadn't heard of BOINC before now, but I'm running Folding@home at home. It would've been a good idea to include a poll in this thread.
 
Old 08-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #8
chrisretusn
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Philippines
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 508

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Not bionic, I've been running folding@home for the last 8 years. Up until a month ago I have two desktop computers running it. I stopped because of the heat. No air-con here. Right now I am evaluating my electric bill. I will probably restart in September.
 
Old 08-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
dwblas
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Posts: 58

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I have participated for the last 5 years. I am glad to see, and would hope that future participants would also use their extra cycles to help find a cure for some disease, or some math that will help make the internet more secure, instead of sudoku, seti, etc. It's a good idea to start a thread like this, say once every year, to let others know that it exists, so I will put it in the calendar for next July and give this thread a bump.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:12 AM   #10
fietser
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Nederland
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 30

Rep: Reputation: 1
Folding@home at the homecomputer.
 
Old 08-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #11
arodlinux
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: today here, 2morrow there, next week anywhere
Distribution: Slackware64 14, openSuse 12.3,
Posts: 70

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 27
Thanks for posting guys! It is nice to see that some of you like to share your PC's time to the world. Even Mister Volkerdi posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylex View Post
It would've been a good idea to include a poll in this thread.
Yes, you are right. I guess that a poll will be more appropriate to this subject matter.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
boinc on slackware canghel Linux - Newbie 1 09-09-2008 08:47 AM
boinc not in synaptic davidleroux1 MEPIS 2 07-03-2007 12:23 AM
boinc and sue 10.2 paul62 Suse/Novell 7 04-22-2007 01:27 PM
BOINC account riba43 Suse/Novell 2 10-15-2006 05:31 AM
tell me if this would work with BOINC ... chemdawg Linux - General 3 10-23-2005 02:39 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration