LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Miranden
Member
 
Registered: May 2012
Posts: 188

Rep: Reputation: 19
How long can it take to build from a Slackbuild?


So I have been building QT on my netbook from a slackbuild found here:

http://someslack.wordpress.com/infinality-on-slackware/

and it has been compiling for over two hours now. I'm just wondering how long it is going to take. I'm sitting here babysitting the computer and hitting the touchpad every so often because I'm afraid if I leave it alone it will go to sleep or something and mess things up. This is the first time I've ever used slackbuilds. Thanks.

Last edited by Miranden; 10-08-2012 at 03:31 PM.
 
Old 10-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
dugan
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 4,562

Rep: Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394
Qt takes about an hour on a very state-of-the-art desktop machine.

Last edited by dugan; 10-08-2012 at 03:33 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
Miranden
Member
 
Registered: May 2012
Posts: 188

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 19
Thank you. As long as it gets done today I'm good.

Edit: It finally got done last night at around 9:30. Seven hours. Whew!

Last edited by Miranden; 10-09-2012 at 08:07 AM.
 
Old 10-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
kabamaru
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: Greece
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 276

Rep: Reputation: 133Reputation: 133
Miranden, you can use the pre-compiled packages if you want. I use virtual machines with Slackware stock installations to build them.

--
kabamaru from someslack
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
13_
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Oct 2012
Posts: 13

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I have old machines which take time building packages, I save the finished package to media. You only then need to build a package once, if you reinstall.
 
Old 10-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
Miranden
Member
 
Registered: May 2012
Posts: 188

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabamaru View Post
Miranden, you can use the pre-compiled packages if you want. I use virtual machines with Slackware stock installations to build them.

--
kabamaru from someslack
Thanks, but I already finished it. I have a question for you though if you are still around. First of all, thank you VERY much for the information in your post here:

http://someslack.wordpress.com/infinality-on-slackware/

I followed the instructions, and the improvement is VAST. However, I actually liked it better the way it was when I had installed all the packages (step two), but before I did the fontconfig (step three). This is because I made some changes of my own before I messed with the infinality settings.

How can I get back to that point before I did step three? I do have the default-fontconfig.txt backup that you advised to make, so I know I should go back and re-link those files in /etc/fonts/conf.d. But what about the infinality settings that could possibly conflict? Is making those settings all that infinality is doing (meaning that it wasn't yet doing anything after I did your step two but before I did step three, and in that case I could just uninstall it), or is it doing something else to improve the fonts, which had already taken affect before I did the fontconfig step? I had already restarted the computer a bunch of times between those two steps, so it's clear.

Thank you in advance.

P.S. I don't see a way to comment on your blog, so I will tell you this here. I think this part is a typo:

Quote:
You can pick a style from a list:

$ cd /etc/fonts/infinality
$ ./infctl setstyle

Or directly choose one:

$ ./infctl setstyle linux
For me I had to do

Code:
./infctl.sh setstyle
or

Code:
./infctl.sh setstyle linux
Is that right?

Last edited by Miranden; 10-09-2012 at 01:11 PM.
 
Old 10-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
Miranden
Member
 
Registered: May 2012
Posts: 188

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13_ View Post
I have old machines which take time building packages, I save the finished package to media. You only then need to build a package once, if you reinstall.
Yeah, I'm definitely not going to throw anything I compile on this machine away. I'm keeping everything. Thanks!
 
Old 10-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
kabamaru
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: Greece
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 276

Rep: Reputation: 133Reputation: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranden View Post
How can I get back to that point before I did step three? I do have the default-fontconfig.txt backup that you advised to make, so I know I should go back and re-link those files in /etc/fonts/conf.d. But what about the infinality settings that could possibly conflict? Is making those settings all that infinality is doing (meaning that it wasn't yet doing anything after I did your step two but before I did step three, and in that case I could just uninstall it), or is it doing something else to improve the fonts, which had already taken affect before I did the fontconfig step? I had already restarted the computer a bunch of times between those two steps, so it's clear.
The vast improvement was because of the patched Freetype being in use. That said, Infinality expects you to use his fontconfig rules to get a predictable result. The links I recommend you to remove, are the ones that I've found they will override some of Infinality's own fontconfig ruleset. I don't know what changes you made before applying Infinality, but if the font appearance you get without touching your /etc/fonts/conf.d is good, then just restore your links and you are good to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranden View Post
P.S. I don't see a way to comment on your blog, so I will tell you this here. I think this part is a typo:
Thanks, that was indeed a double typo
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
Miranden
Member
 
Registered: May 2012
Posts: 188

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabamaru View Post
The vast improvement was because of the patched Freetype being in use. That said, Infinality expects you to use his fontconfig rules to get a predictable result. The links I recommend you to remove, are the ones that I've found they will override some of Infinality's own fontconfig ruleset. I don't know what changes you made before applying Infinality, but if the font appearance you get without touching your /etc/fonts/conf.d is good, then just restore your links and you are good to go
Sorry, but I do not think I am understanding you properly. I figured that the vast improvement was due to the Freetype package. But if that is the case, then why should I not remove the Infinality package? Was it doing something also prior to my proceeding to step three?

If not, and I do remove it, what difference would it make if Infinality expected me to use Infinality's ruleset? He would not be around to complain about it. Sorry, just trying to understand. (Because removing the links was not the only step I took in the fontconfig step. I also applied one of Infinality's styles. I know how to get the links back, but I don't know how to get rid of the style that I applied. In order to get back to how I was at the end of step two, I would have to do both.)

Thank you!
 
Old 10-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
kabamaru
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: Greece
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 276

Rep: Reputation: 133Reputation: 133
Oh, so ok, I think I got what you're saying there. No, the fontconfig-infinality package was already there and in use when you were happy with your font rendering. Don't uninstall this, as this, along with Infinality's freetype are the two main packages you need. The reason you experienced the unwanted changes was probably the fact you set the "os style" to "linux". That wasn't an instruction from my tutorial, I just wanted to demonstrate how to use infctl.sh to try different os styles. The one that you liked, was probably the default, which is named "infinality". So to revert to the default style, execute the following:

Code:
cd /etc/fonts/infinality
./infctl.sh setstyle infinality
Hope this helps.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
Miranden
Member
 
Registered: May 2012
Posts: 188

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabamaru View Post
Oh, so ok, I think I got what you're saying there. No, the fontconfig-infinality package was already there and in use when you were happy with your font rendering. Don't uninstall this, as this, along with Infinality's freetype are the two main packages you need. The reason you experienced the unwanted changes was probably the fact you set the "os style" to "linux". That wasn't an instruction from my tutorial, I just wanted to demonstrate how to use infctl.sh to try different os styles. The one that you liked, was probably the default, which is named "infinality". So to revert to the default style, execute the following:

Code:
cd /etc/fonts/infinality
./infctl.sh setstyle infinality
Hope this helps.
Oh, okay, I see. So the Infinality fontconfig was already applying its default style before I went in and set the style. I did not know this. I also did not know that the Freetype package was part of Infinality (as in "Infinality's freetype package," as you said). I thought it was completely separate. That is why I couldn't understand you before.

Thank you again so much for this. My fonts look great now. As soon as I get the web fonts and a few more things set up, I'm going to post some screen shots on the font thread!
 
Old 10-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
kabamaru
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Location: Greece
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 276

Rep: Reputation: 133Reputation: 133
Glad it was an easy fix Btw, I prefer the default preset too. Plus it's the most tested.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] slackbuild build errors? trademark91 Slackware 8 12-09-2010 07:06 PM
How to build a Slackbuild script? Laodiceans Slackware 13 11-02-2010 04:23 AM
Unable to build from Slackbuild in slackware 13 troj3n Slackware 1 01-28-2010 03:50 PM
Unable to build from Slackbuild in slackware 13 troj3n Slackware 5 01-28-2010 10:38 AM
[SOLVED] can't build texlive slackbuild portia Slackware 27 12-28-2009 07:41 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration