LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
hkothari
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Location: Lowell, Massachusetts
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 70

Rep: Reputation: 17
Question How Do You Upgrade Slackware 12.2 To 64bit


So my main question is: now that slackware 64bit has been released to the public and can be used, is it just as easy as installing the packages and that's it, or are there other things that need to be done to upgrade to the 64bit version.

Also, as a side question, it's not too important, but does anyone know a general time frame for when slackware 13 will come out.? This year, next, I know when it is stable, etc. but what more needs to be done.
 
Old 07-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
bgeddy
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: Liverpool - England
Distribution: slackware64 13.37 and -current, Dragonfly BSD
Posts: 1,810

Rep: Reputation: 227Reputation: 227Reputation: 227
I know it's not what you are asking and may seem pedantic but regardless -
Quote:
So my main question is: now that slackware 64bit has been released
- it's not officially been "released" yet ! OK, a "current" version is available for download but these are pre-release testing versions and prone to change. No doubt update instructions will be made public when 13 is actually released.
Quote:
Also, as a side question, it's not too important, but does anyone know a general time frame for when slackware 13 will come out.? This year, next, I know when it is stable, etc. but what more needs to be done.
Good luck with this one ! "When it's ready" has always been the reply. By taking this attitude Slackware is never pressed to an immovable deadline which is a good thing.

Last edited by bgeddy; 07-01-2009 at 03:57 PM.
 
Old 07-01-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
chess
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: 127.0.0.1
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD, FreeBSD
Posts: 728

Rep: Reputation: 168Reputation: 168
Slackware64 has not been released to the public. Slackware64-current has been released for testing. I am sure you know this already, but it is important to keep in mind that Slackware64 is still in development.

As far as 'upgrading' from 32 bit to 64 bit, I am not sure if there will be an easy way to do that. Perhaps there will be instructions similar to UPGRADE.TXT once it is indeed released. However, I imagine the same course of action will be to back up your data and reinstall, since any third party packages you compiled or built from a SlackBuild script will probably need to be recompiled anyway.

As far as when Slackware 13 will come out, only Patrick knows and he ain't tellin'. :-) It is probably a pretty safe bet that it will be out before the end of the year, however.
 
Old 07-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
hkothari
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Location: Lowell, Massachusetts
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 70

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by chess View Post
Slackware64 has not been released to the public. Slackware64-current has been released for testing. I am sure you know this already, but it is important to keep in mind that Slackware64 is still in development.

As far as 'upgrading' from 32 bit to 64 bit, I am not sure if there will be an easy way to do that. Perhaps there will be instructions similar to UPGRADE.TXT once it is indeed released. However, I imagine the same course of action will be to back up your data and reinstall, since any third party packages you compiled or built from a SlackBuild script will probably need to be recompiled anyway.

As far as when Slackware 13 will come out, only Patrick knows and he ain't tellin'. :-) It is probably a pretty safe bet that it will be out before the end of the year, however.
Thank you for the last part, that's what I was looking for, something general, so probably before the end of the year. Thanks. And I guess I wasn't clear, if it's been moved to testing, how do I go about installing the software to test everything. I'm pretty sure I can't just download everything and install the packages, I'm sure that would be disasterous, so how would I do it correctly.
 
Old 07-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
chess
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2002
Location: 127.0.0.1
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD, FreeBSD
Posts: 728

Rep: Reputation: 168Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkothari View Post
if it's been moved to testing, how do I go about installing the software to test everything. I'm pretty sure I can't just download everything and install the packages, I'm sure that would be disasterous, so how would I do it correctly.
You should search these forums for information on how to run Slackware -current. It has been discussed many, many, many times. :-) There are several methods. One way is to mirror the ftp tree and create an iso image using Eric Hameleer's excellent mirror-slackware-current.sh script. Other folks upgrade from a -stable release to -current using slackpkg. Regardless of the method, IMHO one should be pretty familiar with Slackware and the way it works before attempting to use -current.
 
Old 07-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
Daedra
Senior Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Location: Springfield, MO
Distribution: Slackware64-14.1
Posts: 1,223

Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
You can also download -current iso's from here ftp://ftp.slackware.no/linux/slackwa...e-current-iso/

But like everyone else said, keep in mind that these are not official releases only for testing purposes.
 
Old 07-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
Skaperen
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: WV, USA
Distribution: Slackware, CentOS, Ubuntu, Fedora, Timesys, Linux From Scratch
Posts: 1,777
Blog Entries: 20

Rep: Reputation: 116Reputation: 116
For an upgrade to 64-bit, I highly recommend installing any 64-bit system from scratch, instead of trying to upgrade in place. Upgrading from 32 bit to 64 bit is not the same kind of journey as just upgrading to a new version in the same architecture.

You could try out slackware64-current. Many people are using it. While there are issues, as is typical with slackware, the -current is quite stable for most people as the next release approaches. Alternatively, you could install slamd64-12.2.

The approach I'm taking right now is I am setting up a dual-boot shared-filesystem arrangement combining both slackware-current and slackware64-current. Instead of separate partitions, there will be a shared partition. I do split my systems into separate partitions like /boot and /home and /usr and /var. In this case, I will still partition the same way, but each partition will be double sized and hold the respective files from both the 32 bit version and the 64 bit version, in subdirectories. The mounting will be done using the mount bind option to select the appropriate subdirectory in each partition. I will have to do a little of my own hacking to make this work. Slackware is great for doing things like this.
 
  


Reply

Tags
bit, linux, slackware, upgrade


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ubuntu32 -> 64bit upgrade? Jayla Linux - Newbie 1 03-18-2008 09:25 AM
Is it possible to upgrade laptop to 64bit processor? ciden Linux - Hardware 11 03-01-2007 12:20 PM
How do i upgrade 9.3 -32bit to 9.3-64bit... BlackCell Suse/Novell 2 05-23-2006 09:56 AM
upgrade to stable 64bit sarge linuxmandrake Debian 3 11-09-2005 10:39 AM
Upgrade to 64bit ubuntu Avatar33 Ubuntu 3 07-31-2005 03:49 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration