LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 07-12-2012, 01:50 AM   #1
m.knives
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2011
Posts: 20

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Help me understand Patrick's words


Hello,

I, with the help of members of forum.slackware.pl, am attempting to translate the recent interview with Patrick Volkerding. We don't agree with something and I need help understanding Pat's words here:

"The challenge over the next five years will be to remain true to Slackware's roots in UNIX philosophy as other projects and developers to may have completely different goals contribute to Linux as a whole."

English is not my first language and I find "to may" strange. Is it only me or is this correct? Anyway...

Did he (or you, if it's the man himself reading this mean that:
1. [Slackware] and [other projects], each having different philosophy and goals, both contribute to Linux as a whole or
2. just [other projects] have different philosophy and goals to contribute to Linux as a whole.
 
Old 07-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #2
salparadise
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Birmingham UK
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 1,704

Rep: Reputation: 76
"to may" is not correct English - likely a mistranslation.

The correct version is almost certainly "as other projects and developers who may have completely different goals..."
 
Old 07-12-2012, 03:02 AM   #3
ruario
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2011
Location: Oslo, Norway
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,806

Rep: Reputation: 810Reputation: 810Reputation: 810Reputation: 810Reputation: 810Reputation: 810Reputation: 810
I think it was just a mistake. I suspect this is what was meant:

The challenge over the next five years will be to remain true to Slackware's roots in UNIX philosophy as other projects and developers may have completely different goals on contributing to Linux as a whole.
 
Old 07-12-2012, 03:14 AM   #4
m.knives
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2011
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I was wrong then. Thanks a lot for clearing this up
 
Old 07-12-2012, 04:13 AM   #5
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,535
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.knives View Post
Hello,

I, with the help of members of forum.slackware.pl, am attempting to translate the recent interview with Patrick Volkerding. We don't agree with something and I need help understanding Pat's words here:

"The challenge over the next five years will be to remain true to Slackware's roots in UNIX philosophy as other projects and developers to may have completely different goals contribute to Linux as a whole."

English is not my first language and I find "to may" strange. Is it only me or is this correct? Anyway...

Did he (or you, if it's the man himself reading this mean that:
1. [Slackware] and [other projects], each having different philosophy and goals, both contribute to Linux as a whole or
2. just [other projects] have different philosophy and goals to contribute to Linux as a whole.

Is there any chance of getting involved in the translation project?
 
Old 07-12-2012, 04:31 AM   #6
Mark Pettit
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2008
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Distribution: Slackware 14.1 64 Multi-Lib
Posts: 421

Rep: Reputation: 123Reputation: 123
Perhaps he said : "...philosophy as other projects, and developers too, may have...."
That would (I think) be acceptable English. Although Pat is American, and they haven't spoken English there for years either :-)

This reminds me of something I saw on a website when an American friend was planning to visit my country (South Africa). Some young American asked "Will we be able to speak English there ?", to which the reply was, "Yes, but you'll have to learn it first".
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:58 AM   #7
solarfields
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Outer Shpongolia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 448

Rep: Reputation: 116Reputation: 116
I am sorry, I couldn't help it...

Quote:
Help me understand Patrick's words
Pity the poor human Earth Pink who comes looking for a SIMPLE, SHORT EXPLANATION of Patrick's words, one that he or she can UNDERSTAND QUICKLY. If LQ could provide that, Slackware would be bigger than Mint or Ubuntu by now -- and probably much, much worse.

A True Slacker, however, understands EVERYTHING, INSTANTLY upon exposure to the Word or even just the ChangeLog of Pat.

The next step after reading the Patrick Volkerding interview (links above) would be to procure THE SLACKBOOK and its companion volume, LINUX COMPLETE REFERENCE, from the Slackware store, EBay, or better bookstores anywhere. (The feature-length video, ARISE!, will do in a pinch for illiterates.) There are samples of these masterpieces and other primal Slackware liturgy in the BOOK section.

There are also several SLAQs and FAQs from various Slackers who, over the years, did their very best to explain the unexplainable.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #8
m.knives
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2011
Posts: 20

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
lol, solarfields

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamorex
Is there any chance of getting involved in the translation project?
Well, the way I came up with going into this "project" is quite crude. I publish my progress in google docs while members of forum.slackware.pl read it and post suggestions. I make necessary changes and go on translating the next batch of text.
So far it looks like this:
~25% translated by me
~25% translated by ydoom
lots of corrections by mina86 and one by alekow
~50% to go

I'm not sure what kind of involvement you had in mind. If you know Polish you can certainly post suggestions to correct something or even translate a question or ten. Here's the link to the topic where I post my translation. The latest versions are at the end of my last post.
 
Old 07-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
sycamorex
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Nov 2005
Location: London
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 5,535
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999Reputation: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.knives View Post
I'm not sure what kind of involvement you had in mind. If you know Polish you can certainly post suggestions to correct something or even translate a question or ten. Here's the link to the topic where I post my translation. The latest versions are at the end of my last post.
Excellent. I'll have a look tonight. I have a pretty solid grasp of Polish - it is my native tongue, after all
 
Old 07-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #10
quietguy47
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Everett
Distribution: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 785

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.knives View Post
Hello,

I, with the help of members of forum.slackware.pl, am attempting to translate the recent interview with Patrick Volkerding. We don't agree with something and I need help understanding Pat's words here:

"The challenge over the next five years will be to remain true to Slackware's roots in UNIX philosophy as other projects and developers to may have completely different goals contribute to Linux as a whole."

English is not my first language and I find "to may" strange. Is it only me or is this correct? Anyway...

Did he (or you, if it's the man himself reading this mean that:
1. [Slackware] and [other projects], each having different philosophy and goals, both contribute to Linux as a whole or
2. just [other projects] have different philosophy and goals to contribute to Linux as a whole.
To in this case may mean also. "...other projects and developers also may have completely...".
 
Old 07-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #11
volkerdi
Slackware Maintainer
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Location: Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware! :-)
Posts: 858

Rep: Reputation: 1668Reputation: 1668Reputation: 1668Reputation: 1668Reputation: 1668Reputation: 1668Reputation: 1668Reputation: 1668Reputation: 1668Reputation: 1668Reputation: 1668
Hi there! That was a thinko that slipped through my editing: "to" should have been "that".
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
Mercury305
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Location: Rockville, MD
Distribution: CrunchBang / Ubuntu
Posts: 540

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkerdi View Post
Hi there! That was a thinko that slipped through my editing: "to" should have been "that".
On the Positive outlook:
I believe that if Slackware can maintain to stay true to its UNIX roots we will have a lot of converts escaping from other distros which will make the transition easier for us all.
 
Old 07-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
gezley
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Slackware64, NetBSD
Posts: 490

Rep: Reputation: 207Reputation: 207Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Pettit View Post
Perhaps he said : "...philosophy as other projects, and developers too, may have...."
That would (I think) be acceptable English. Although Pat is American, and they haven't spoken English there for years either :-)

This reminds me of something I saw on a website when an American friend was planning to visit my country (South Africa). Some young American asked "Will we be able to speak English there ?", to which the reply was, "Yes, but you'll have to learn it first".
LOL.
 
Old 07-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #14
gezley
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Ireland
Distribution: Slackware64, NetBSD
Posts: 490

Rep: Reputation: 207Reputation: 207Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkerdi View Post
Hi there! That was a thinko that slipped through my editing: "to" should have been "that".
He's fallible, he's fallible!!!

 
Old 07-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #15
brianL
LQ 5k Club
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Oldham, Lancs, England
Distribution: Slackware & Slackware64 14.1
Posts: 6,910
Blog Entries: 51

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by gezley View Post
He's fallible, he's fallible!!!

That's another illusion shattered. First they told me there was no Santa Claus, now this...it's too much to bear.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how i can fetch some strings like words or some words Farah_s Linux - Newbie 6 03-14-2012 01:23 AM
Removing white spaces between words and joining the words in a given format Priyabio Linux - General 4 08-20-2009 07:42 AM
How do I create words.db from words.txt using gdbm? kline General 8 12-14-2008 08:48 PM
[Slackware] Patrick needs Help!!! joe83 Slackware 134 01-07-2005 07:03 AM
Search and Replace: Asian Words to English Words ieeestd802 Linux - Software 0 10-27-2004 07:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration