SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
From my exhaustive googling it appears the best chance to get my sound card going is to upgrade to ALSA 1.0.20. I have tried this and only made a mess of things. Has anyone successfully done this? If so, what was your procedure? I guess a more hopeful question might be <fingers_crossed> will it show up in -current soon? </fingers_crossed>
I am running kernel 22.214.171.124 on Slackware64-current. I have 1.0.18 for alsa-lib and -utils and 1.0.17 for -oss. I have an Intel 82801I ICH9 HD Audio Controller with a VIA VT17085 Codec Chip. The proper kernel modules are loading but alas no sound. alsaconf has been run, no channels are muted in alsamixer. The silence is deafening and it's making me crazy. It appears that I am not the only slacker with some HD audio problems around here either.
I have upgraded ALSA, but it was before I learned how to use SlackBuilds. I removed ALSA support from my kernel, removed the ALSA packages from my installation, and installed the tarballs from the ALSA homepage using ./configure; make; make install. The thread I just linked to suggests a better solution.
digging deeper into the thread that dugan posted, led me to a link where they explained how to merge the newest ALSA into the Kernel source and rebuild. I went that way and rebuilt my Kernel with the new files, but still no sound. I'll keep digging.
I finally have sound!! After adding the 1.0.20 driver I had to download and run ALSA's HDA Analyzer where I checked EAPD on Node [0x1c] PIN. MOre information can be found here. Apparently this bug is still yet to be fixed in a release.