SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I've noticed some strange behavior regarding the $subj package manager(s). Example:
I had openssl-solibs-some version, don't know what, but lower than 0.9.8a-i487.
I upgraded openssl-solibs with gslapt. Now i have in the gslapt window the following:
name:openssl-solibs-0.9.8a-i486-1-upgraded | version:2006-05-14,22:56:48 (the date of the upgrade)
Now, name:openssl-solibs | version:0.9.8b-i486-1 has arrived.
Of course i can't upgrade it, because "0.9.8b-i486-1" < "2006-05-14,22:56:48"
I have this problem with many other packages. The only solution now is to uninstall the previous package and to install the new one. The second problem is that, when i will try to uninstall openssl-solibs, all hell will break loose.
Is this behavior the intended one? If not, have you seen it anyother place and do you have a solution?
Thanks in advance.
PS: gslapt 0.3.12, slapt-get 0.9.11b (and i can't upgrade until i solve the problem with openssl-solibs)
have you tried downloading the latest pkg from the slackware site, and upgrading it manually using "upgradepkg"? thats how i update everything on my box. using things like slapt-get and stuff has only gotten me in trouble lol.
I've had a similar problem before, it happens when a upgrade is stopped in the midway -like giving upgradepkg a CTRL-C or "kill"ing it. Just uninstall the pkg and use --install (or whatever it's called in slapt-get -I don't use it) to install the newer version of openssl-solibs
i have used slapt-get to upgrade all my packages and it didn't gave me much problems. the 'slapt-get --upgrade' did stopped many times when downloading packages but i just killed it ('ctrl_c') and then again did 'slapt-get --upgrade' which basically picked up from the same point where it left. i had to do this many times since it would stop in literally every package dowload but it did worked nicely. all my packages are now upgraded and working with no problems.