SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Got the program built and installed, but when starting the program, it just freezes and locks up X. I can't get to console or anything. I have to hit the on/off button (laptop).
I tried it twice since the initial attempt. First, I just let the program sit for about 45 minutes. There was no disk activity that I could see. Second time, I tried starting from xterm to watch for any output. Nothing. Just the program freezing up and then X not responding.
The latest version of GE seems to have issues for lots of people.
We've got a build script for the latest release ready to push out at SlackBuilds.org, and we added a note in the README about it. As far as I know, there's not any good solution. It works fine for some people, and crashes for others, and crashes X for still others.
I had to download the previous version because my installed Google Earth (4.3) was slow as hell and sometimes crashed, even though direct rendering was on. With 4.2 it is working nicely as before the upgrade. If you want to try this version, go to http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html#no_redirect, choose "English (US)" even if you are not located in the US and: voilà - there appears a link to the 4.2 setup file.
dri and glx is enabled in my xorg.conf. I tried running googleearth as root and it also crashed X.
I then tried this as user and root:
started X and then started googleearth. Immediately, I switched to a console (previously logged in), and started top. In a few seconds both X and Googleearth stopped showing. I then checked /var/log/Xorg.0.log and found this at the end (tail):
$ tail Xorg.0.log
3: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so [0xb7b49be6]
4: X [0x814700e]
5: X(Dispatch+0x2cb) [0x808699b]
6: X(main+0x496) [0x806ddb6]
7: /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe0) [0xb7cc9390]
8: X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x20d) [0x806d0e1]
Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting