LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Google Earth revisited (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/google-earth-revisited-4175493055/)

Jeebizz 01-29-2014 09:10 PM

Google Earth revisited
 
So trying Google Earth again after much frustration, and nearly pulling out my hair I decided to take a break from it until now. I still cannot correctly install later NVIDIA blobs without errors, - so I am running the long-term versions, 319.82 , no problems installing both driver and OpenGL and 32-compat libraries.

So Google Earth is installed but it is still whining about libGLU.so.1, however...

Code:


slackuser@slackmachine:~$ google-earth
./googleearth-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libGLU.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
slackuser@slackmachine:~$

Though, if I look for it I find that file though:

Code:

root@slackmachine:/# whereis libGLU.so.1
libGLU.so: /usr/lib/libGLU.so /usr/lib64/libGLU.so /usr/lib64/libGLU.so.1
root@slackmachine:/# cd /usr/lib
root@slackmachine:/usr/lib# file libGLU.so
libGLU.so: broken symbolic link to `/usr/lib/libGLU.so.1'
root@slackmachine:/usr/lib# file libGLU.so.1
libGLU.so.1: ERROR: cannot open `libGLU.so.1' (No such file or directory)
root@slackmachine:/usr/lib# file /usr/lib64/libGLU.so
/usr/lib64/libGLU.so: symbolic link to `libGLU.so.1.3.1'
root@slackmachine:/usr/lib# whereis libGLU.so.1.3.1
libGLU.so.1.3: /usr/lib64/libGLU.so.1.3.1
root@slackmachine:/usr/lib# cd /usr/lib64
root@slackmachine:/usr/lib64# file libGLU.so.1.3.1
libGLU.so.1.3.1: ELF 64-bit LSB  shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped
root@slackmachine:/usr/lib64#

Further investigation yields something more interesting:
Code:

root@slackmachine:/usr/lib# cd /usr/lib
root@slackmachine:/usr/lib# file libGL.so.1
libGL.so.1: symbolic link to `libGL.so.319.82'
root@slackmachine:/usr/lib# file libGLU.so
libGLU.so: broken symbolic link to `/usr/lib/libGLU.so.1'
root@slackmachine:/usr/lib#

So I got a bunch of symlinks all over the place, and now I am not sure how to fix this, but I am sure this has to be the cause of my problem. I am sure libGL.so.319.82 should be the same as libGLU.so.1 ? Maybe? But then why isn't it just that, instead of being libGL.so.319.82? :scratch:

Richard Cranium 01-29-2014 10:25 PM

libGLU isn't the same thing as libGL.

On my system...
Code:

$ ls -l /usr/lib64/libGLU.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Nov 26 22:02 /usr/lib64/libGLU.so.1 -> libGLU.so.1.3.1*

$ ls -l /usr/lib64/libGL.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec 18 21:00 /usr/lib64/libGL.so -> libGL.so.1*
$ ls -l /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Dec 18 21:00 /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1 -> libGL.so.331.20*

$ grep libGLU /var/log/packages/*
/var/log/packages/glu-9.0.0-x86_64-1:glu: glu is the Mesa OpenGL utility library (libGLU).
/var/log/packages/glu-9.0.0-x86_64-1:usr/lib64/libGLU.la
/var/log/packages/glu-9.0.0-x86_64-1:usr/lib64/libGLU.so.1.3.1


Jeebizz 01-30-2014 04:47 PM

Huh ok so much for that. So I guess I am missing libGLU, so million dollar questions is where the hell did it go? I installed everything in the NVIDIA blob, the only thing I have to go on, is that I did update from 14.0 to 14.1 , then again Google-Earth did work, since I did the procedure first on a VM....And it did work on my real machine too. I'm totally dumbfounded by this. :scratch:

Didier Spaier 01-30-2014 05:43 PM

As pointed out by Richard Cranium, libGLU is shipped in package glu, included in Slackware. But obviously yours is broken for some reason as shown in your first post:
Code:

root@slackmachine:/usr/lib# file libGLU.so
libGLU.so: broken symbolic link to `/usr/lib/libGLU.so.1'

That's why Google Earth complains, of course.

So, just reinstalling package glu (X series of packages) should close that issue.

schmatzler 01-30-2014 06:50 PM

Don't forget you need glu-compat32 as google-earth is a 32bit-application.

I also had to run:

ln -s /lib/ld-linux.so.2 /lib/ld-lsb.so.3

otherwise it wouldn't find its own binary.

Jeebizz 01-30-2014 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Didier Spaier (Post 5108348)
As pointed out by Richard Cranium, libGLU is shipped in package glu, included in Slackware. But obviously yours is broken for some reason as shown in your first post:
Code:

root@slackmachine:/usr/lib# file libGLU.so
libGLU.so: broken symbolic link to `/usr/lib/libGLU.so.1'

That's why Google Earth complains, of course.

So, just reinstalling package glu (X series of packages) should close that issue.

Ah good point, now for another really dumb question, which package has that library exactly? :p Since I am not about to reinstall all of X-server and such ;)

---------- Post added 01-30-14 at 05:55 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by schmatzler (Post 5108388)
Don't forget you need glu-compat32 as google-earth is a 32bit-application.

I also had to run:

ln -s /lib/ld-linux.so.2 /lib/ld-lsb.so.3

otherwise it wouldn't find its own binary.

That is in the README for Google Earth and that was always the first thing I did when installing Google Earth. :)

Jeebizz 01-30-2014 07:18 PM

I am derp... found it :)

Code:

glu: glu (Mesa OpenGL utility library)
glu:
glu: glu is the Mesa OpenGL utility library (libGLU).
glu:
glu:
glu:
glu:
glu:
glu:
glu:
glu:

glu-9.0.0-x86_64-1.txz

--edit

But it did not resolve.. I completely removed the package, and reinstalled it again... still getting same error message when trying to launch Google Earth in terminal.

Didier Spaier 01-31-2014 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeebizz (Post 5108398)
But it did not resolve.. I completely removed the package, and reinstalled it again... still getting same error message when trying to launch Google Earth in terminal.

Did you carefully read the NOTES of the README and follow all the instructions it includes?

phenixia2003 01-31-2014 04:49 AM

Hello,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeebizz (Post 5108398)
I am derp... found it :)

Code:

glu: glu (Mesa OpenGL utility library)
glu:
glu: glu is the Mesa OpenGL utility library (libGLU).
glu:
glu:
glu:
glu:
glu:
glu:
glu:
glu:

glu-9.0.0-x86_64-1.txz

--edit

But it did not resolve.. I completely removed the package, and reinstalled it again... still getting same error message when trying to launch Google Earth in terminal.


As pointed out by schmatzler you also need to install the 32-bit version of package glu (i.e. glu-compat32).

Cheers.

--
SeB

Richard Cranium 01-31-2014 10:33 AM

Or you get the true 64 bit version of Google Earth and install that. There's a thread in the archives about it.

Jeebizz 01-31-2014 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phenixia2003 (Post 5108572)
Hello,




As pointed out by schmatzler you also need to install the 32-bit version of package glu (i.e. glu-compat32).

Cheers.

--
SeB

That did it! - wow, I am truly 'derp' , lol :p.

I just wonder how did going from 14.0 to 14.1 break glu like that, because again I tested this out on a VM, and had Google-Earth working just fine... anyhow, it works now :)

Jeebizz 01-31-2014 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Cranium (Post 5108706)
Or you get the true 64 bit version of Google Earth and install that. There's a thread in the archives about it.

I did consider that, but it was the Debian64 package, and still gave me same error. This latest suggestion worked though, and matter is resolved, but all suggestions have been very helpful :)


glu-compat32 package was needed :)

willysr 01-31-2014 08:08 PM

glu is now a dependency of mesa, so it's added into multilib packages by Eric
you must have skipped that one when upgrading 14.0->14.1 :)

Jeebizz 01-31-2014 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willysr (Post 5109012)
glu is now a dependency of mesa, so it's added into multilib packages by Eric
you must have skipped that one when upgrading 14.0->14.1 :)

Maybe, but then again I distinctly remember after updating from 14.0 -> 14.1 on a VM, and updated multilib, Google had no complaints, my only thought is NVIDIA breaking things. After all I am not using Nouveau, but the blob itself. My only guess is when I was trying to install later series of the driver, it had to have killed that dependency, since I was getting errors just trying to install the compa32 portion.

I am still sure that if I download the latest 'stable' series, 331.38 I will have errors, so I reverted to the 319 series. Right now I have 319.82 and I can install the .run blob fully without any problems. So thats my theory, later NVIDIA would have been the cause. Either way though, I am happy this issue is finally put to rest. :)

willysr 01-31-2014 11:33 PM

well, NVIdia drivers must be reinstalled everytime you upgrade your XOrg or mesa :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48 AM.