LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2006, 05:10 PM   #61
liquidtenmilion
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: South Carolina
Distribution: Slackware 11.0
Posts: 606

Rep: Reputation: 31

It's definately a GTK2 issue. No doubt at all. However, the only thing I can come up with is either XFCE doesn't like the version of GTK2 used in Gware/Freerock, or Gware/freerock's builds are actually broken in someway(that affects XFCE)

Maybe try uninstalling the current GTK2, and build the latest version of GTK2 from source.
 
Old 06-24-2006, 06:16 PM   #62
evilDagmar
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Right behind you.
Distribution: NBG, then randomed.
Posts: 480

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierP
evilDagmar - wind your neck in. This is fast becoming an extremely informative, useful and, above all, polite discussion. The only troll I can see here is you. Join the discussion in the same spirit as everyone else, or leave it.
My statement remains. I gave the answer to his question, yet I got attacked for it. Why? From examining the thread, the only reason I can see is that there wasn't any easy criticism that could be thrown back in response. Notice how that with each answer that has been criticized and/or questioned in turn, the responses needed become even longer and more complex to handle thoroughly. This is a classic trolling technique that simply saps the time of the other person until they get tired of responding. It's what appeared to be going on here, and is the reason I called foul on it. It's not productive, and it's hardly usefully educational to have the same questions answered ad nauseum.

Last edited by evilDagmar; 06-24-2006 at 06:17 PM.
 
Old 06-24-2006, 06:26 PM   #63
evilDagmar
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Right behind you.
Distribution: NBG, then randomed.
Posts: 480

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal_Newbie
Hi, I was wondering if someone could explain a problem I have encountered with GWare and Freerock.

Installing either of the above affects the XFCE taskbar (The one usually at the top with the minimised programs).

What happens is that the text of the program names sticks out of the side of the buttons, instead of being truncated (the usual behavior) or the button extending to fit the text. As you can imagine this looks rather messy.

I have isolated the cause of this as probably related to GTK+, because if I reinstall the stock GTK+ the problem goes away. Obviously doing this this then affects the operation of GNOME. Has anyone else encountered this behaviour and is there a better solution?
It's probably a fontconfig and DPI setting thing, or different fonts being called because of fontconfig's presence. If XFCE is calling for the fonts on those buttons based on the more generic names like "sans" and "monospace" then the latter is likely the culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal_Newbie
Could the problem also be XWindows related? I am using a 9600XT with the stock XOrg radeon driver.
Not likely, which is something I'm sure you'll be glad to hear. ...with the outside exception being that X loves to mis-detect DPI settings, which really messes with glyph measurements. Run `xdpyinfo` and look for what X considers your displays DPI to be (and then correct it as it'll probably be saying 96). Yes, this is a very annoying, long-standing X bug.
 
Old 06-24-2006, 09:12 PM   #64
dugan
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 4,562

Rep: Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal_Newbie
Hi, I was wondering if someone could explain a problem I have encountered with GWare and Freerock.

Installing either of the above affects the XFCE taskbar (The one usually at the top with the minimised programs).

What happens is that the text of the program names sticks out of the side of the buttons, instead of being truncated (the usual behavior) or the button extending to fit the text. As you can imagine this looks rather messy.

I have isolated the cause of this as probably related to GTK+, because if I reinstall the stock GTK+ the problem goes away. Obviously doing this this then affects the operation of GNOME. Has anyone else encountered this behaviour and is there a better solution?
The solution is to upgrade to the Xfce package from slackware-current. Discussion follows.

I'm running Freerock myself. I know how to replicate this (fill up the taskbar to the point where the buttons start shrinking horizontally, then launch Firefox and surf to a webpage with a long title: the "setting up slackware" article in my .sig will work nicely). After upgrading to the Xfce package in slackware-current I can no longer replicate this bug. And I'm still using the Freerock GTK.

Just download the Xfce package (it's one package) from slackware-current and install it using upgradepkg. There's no need to do anything else.

If you have a 3D card, though, this might be a good opportunity to recompile Xfce for composite (3D accelerated transparencies and shadows) support. There are comments about this in Xfce's SlackBuild. Then you can use the trans-inactive daemon to make all your inactive windows translucent. I can tell you like Xfce, so I thought you might be interested in this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilDagmar
If XFCE is calling for the fonts on those buttons based on the more generic names like "sans" and "monospace" then the latter is likely the culprit.

...

X loves to mis-detect DPI settings, which really messes with glyph measurements. Run `xdpyinfo` and look for what X considers your displays DPI to be (and then correct it as it'll probably be saying 96).
I took a few minutes to test these. With the GTK from Freerock 12.1 and the Xfce from Slackware 10.2, I was able to replicate the text-spilling-out-of-the-buttons bug no matter which font I set the active GTK2 theme to use. I tried every font in Xfce's "Look and Feel" applet, with the same results. I also saw the problem whether I set my X font resolution to to 100dpi or 96dpi. Therefore, we can conclude that neither of the above are the cause of the problem.

And as for the 96dpi thing, well, do you actually get that? Every version of Slackware I've used has defaulted to 75DPI for X's font resolution. I always manually set it 100dpi though.

Last edited by dugan; 06-24-2006 at 11:58 PM.
 
Old 06-24-2006, 09:49 PM   #65
J.W.
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Distribution: Mint
Posts: 6,642

Rep: Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilDagmar
My statement remains. I gave the answer to his question, yet I got attacked for it.
evilDagmar -- the only accusations about "trolling" have been made by you. Claiming to now suddenly be the victim of an "attack" just because others refute your comments is pretty transparent -- let's not be the kettle and complain about the pot, shall we?

This thread is an open and lively debate about Gnome and Slackware, and there are valid reasons for supporting either side of the argument. Regardless of whether or not you agree with someone else's opinion, a spirited debate about any Linux topic is fair game here at LQ, and thus far this discussion has been very informative. As an aside, quite frankly I think your comments are out of bounds, and as I see it there have been many valid points have been raised so far in this thread. Given that Slack is one of the leading Linux distros, this topic may be of interest to a pretty wide audience, so let's please stay on topic. As Xavier_P already indicated, if you'd like to participate in the same spirit as everyone else, please contribute your thoughts to the discussion, but if your goal is to just stir up controversy and/or flamewars, please do so elsewhere. LQ is not built for that, and won't tolerate it. Thanks
 
Old 06-24-2006, 11:47 PM   #66
evilDagmar
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Right behind you.
Distribution: NBG, then randomed.
Posts: 480

Rep: Reputation: 31
Then scroll back up and read where this started with dugan apparently accusing me of being rude and condescending.

Better yet, let's go back to where dugan was making some pretty inaccurate and unrealistic claims about Dropline.

Last edited by evilDagmar; 06-25-2006 at 12:15 AM.
 
Old 06-24-2006, 11:59 PM   #67
evilDagmar
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: Right behind you.
Distribution: NBG, then randomed.
Posts: 480

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan
I took a few minutes to test these. With the GTK from Freerock 12.1 and the Xfce from Slackware 10.2, I was able to replicate the text-spilling-out-of-the-buttons bug no matter which font I set the active GTK2 theme to use. I tried every font in Xfce's "Look and Feel" applet, with the same results. I also saw the problem whether I set my X font resolution to to 100dpi or 96dpi. Therefore, we can conclude that neither of the above are the cause of the problem.
I offered some possibilities to look into, but thanks for being so quick to mess up your own system in an effort to discredit what I said. You need a hobby.

Last edited by evilDagmar; 06-25-2006 at 12:00 AM.
 
Old 06-26-2006, 05:41 PM   #68
dkpw
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Location: Scotland
Distribution: LinuxMint16 & Ubuntu 12.0.4 LTS
Posts: 218

Rep: Reputation: 30
JW,

This post was great - informative - passionately argued and until very recently, only verging on the impolite.

Now look at it.

Why not simply remove all the off-topic posts (including this one) and replace them with a single line post from yourself,

"Off-topic posts removed."

Regards

dkpw
 
Old 06-30-2006, 12:16 PM   #69
Eternal_Newbie
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Location: The Pudding Isles
Distribution: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 573

Rep: Reputation: 58
Thanks for all the suggestions about my XFCE/GTK+ problem. Sorry I haven't been able to answer before this, I've been away from my computer for the week.
 
Old 06-30-2006, 07:43 PM   #70
dugan
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: distro hopper
Posts: 4,562

Rep: Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394Reputation: 1394
So did upgrading to the Xfce package in /current solve the problem?
 
Old 07-01-2006, 05:41 AM   #71
choker64
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Feb 2005
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Hey Guys,

I couldn't be bothered installing Dropline or whatever because Pat decided he couldn't be bothered with it. I'm using FreeBSD now. It's a real shame 'cause Slack was my favourire Linux distro. Yes I like Gnome that much. lol

Thanks for your help anyway.
 
Old 07-07-2006, 12:54 PM   #72
georgejc
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 27

Rep: Reputation: 15
Exclamation Stay away from dropline

Just a quick warning concerning dropline gnome.

After I installed dropline gnome for my x86_64 based system that is using Slamd64-10.2b (an unofficial port of Slackware 10.2), it essentially killed my system.

My basic everyday apps still ran fine, and I *thought* that I just saved myself a lot of time, but I soon discovered that my most important apps simply would not run anymore.

Cinelerra http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3 crashed on startup. Yes, I know that Cinelerra has its quirks, but there are no other comparable video editing apps for Linux. And, most importantly for me, jack (low latency audio server) http://jackaudio.org would not run properly.
Recompiles of jack & cinelerra did not help. And no jack means no Ardour http://ardour.org or any other of my many excellent audio apps.

Since it was a new system, I decided to do a fresh install, *WITHOUT* dropline. And, I compiled gnome-2.14.2 myself. This way, I know that I won't be doing any system changes like dropline does.

I also installed gnome into /opt/gnome-2.14.2 so this way, any upgrades would be easier than using /usr/local .

I'm not slamming the good people behind dropline, but, you may want to consider another gnome distribution, especially for x86_64 systems.

Dropline tampers way too much with your original system.
 
Old 07-07-2006, 02:07 PM   #73
liquidtenmilion
Member
 
Registered: May 2004
Location: South Carolina
Distribution: Slackware 11.0
Posts: 606

Rep: Reputation: 31
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...64#post2324464

You don't need to post the same message more than once. Absolutely NONE of your problems have ANYTHING to do with Dropline gnome. Nothing. Look at the packages dropline replaces and then ask yourself how it would even be POSSIBLE that dropline could have affected those problems.

I'll wait for someone more suited to reply though.
 
Old 07-07-2006, 03:32 PM   #74
zborgerd
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Distribution: Slackware / Dropline GNOME
Posts: 378

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgejc
Just a quick warning concerning dropline gnome.

After I installed dropline gnome for my x86_64 based system that is using Slamd64-10.2b (an unofficial port of Slackware 10.2), it essentially killed my system.

My basic everyday apps still ran fine, and I *thought* that I just saved myself a lot of time, but I soon discovered that my most important apps simply would not run anymore.

Cinelerra http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3 crashed on startup. Yes, I know that Cinelerra has its quirks, but there are no other comparable video editing apps for Linux. And, most importantly for me, jack (low latency audio server) http://jackaudio.org would not run properly.
Recompiles of jack & cinelerra did not help. And no jack means no Ardour http://ardour.org or any other of my many excellent audio apps.

Since it was a new system, I decided to do a fresh install, *WITHOUT* dropline. And, I compiled gnome-2.14.2 myself. This way, I know that I won't be doing any system changes like dropline does.

I also installed gnome into /opt/gnome-2.14.2 so this way, any upgrades would be easier than using /usr/local .

I'm not slamming the good people behind dropline, but, you may want to consider another gnome distribution, especially for x86_64 systems.

Dropline tampers way too much with your original system.
Hmm. It would appear that you've posted this message in about 8 different threads that are related to Dropline. Not sure why you did that, but I guess you've gotten your point across.

It should be noted that Dropline GNOME for Slamd64 is not the same as Dropline GNOME for Slackware. The Slamd version is ported by a single, dedicated developer, and is still in a testing phase. In a way, it's an "unofficial" port of Dropline GNOME and will likely remain that way. It also has a different set of packages from what is included in the standard Dropline GNOME distribution.

Regardless, there is no logical reason why Cinelerra might not work in Dropline vs. your own custom GNOME install. It's hard to tell, now, without any actual information in regards to the crash bug.

I would suspect that there is a deeper problem that cannot be traced now. However, there is no reason that you shouldn't use the right software for you. If that is your own custom GNOME build, then it's probably a good choice.
 
Old 07-08-2006, 07:09 AM   #75
Eternal_Newbie
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2005
Location: The Pudding Isles
Distribution: Slackware 13.37
Posts: 573

Rep: Reputation: 58
On a happier note, I've had Dropline and XFCE from -current on my machine for a week. So far no problems

Like Dugan said, using the -current XFCE package seems the quickest way of solving the conflict I encountered.

Dropline also seems have improved greatly since the last time I used it. I am impressed. Not impressed enough to switch to GNOME , but still impressed.
 
  


Reply

Tags
spam, trolling


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Install GNOME RPM after minimum RHEL install linuxhead Linux - Newbie 4 02-23-2007 03:36 PM
can i install gnome onto a knoppix hd install? FuriousGibbon Debian 4 03-21-2004 03:39 PM
Cannot install gnome-utils....Knoppix 3.2 HD install quo_vadis Debian 3 11-10-2003 07:44 AM
Gnome 2.4 install on 3.0 IvanJ Debian 0 10-22-2003 06:33 PM
new install dropline gnome install corbintechboy Slackware 5 10-09-2003 02:33 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration