SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
sorry for being a bit of a newb when it comes to editing .SlackBuild scripts but what I did was append the above code to the end of the file and during the build process it asked me which file to patch so I looked at the file it was trying to patch and pointed the build script to that file on my system. it tried to patch the file while I was building the SlackBuild script and I thought this was wrong so I skipped the build. So, where exactly do I make the changes in the .SlackBuild file to have it build properly?
I would really like to have this result:
and have it ask for the user password and execute properly.
works just fine but the package is called gksu and I would prefer to use this command.
sorry for my late reply but I was just going over a few things on my system and decided to install gksu on my slackware-current x86_64 system and had the same error reproduced so I would like to fix it. I looked over the thread and have downloaded all the appropriate files and dropped them a folder called shadow with a subdir of patches with your patch as well as the unused subdir there and the patch in it. I am anxiously awaiting your reply.
This problem has been fixed long time ago by Pat himself in other package (shadow)
Shadow 4.1.5 addressed a tty-hijacking vulnerability in "su -c"
(CVE-2005-4890) by detaching the controlling terminal in the non-PAM
case via a TIOCNOTTY request. Bi-directional protection is excessive
and breaks a commonly-used methods for privilege escalation on non-PAM
systems (e.g. xterm -e /bin/su -s /bin/bash -c /bin/bash myscript).
This update relaxes the restriction and only detaches the controlling
tty when the callee is not root (which is, after all, the threat vector).
Thanks to mancha for the patch (and the above information).
you can now issue gksu in normal way and it should work
Thanks for your reply... I am on slackware-current and am using custom packages from the dropline gnome enviornment including shadow, libgksu, and gksu. the error persists. for now, I am issuing gksudo and everything works fine. I have a pretty good system set up with XFCE and am working on a bare-bones dropline gnome install (gnome doesn't load yet) but all the packages I installed work wonderfully with the XFCE desktop. perhaps I will start a new thread (here) and see what the devs have to say over there. unless of course you have a solution...