SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I just did a fresh slack 11 install, but gaim insisted in not being able to connect to msn service. On the gaim site I found a solution:
Firefox also includes the necessary libraries, so if you have a binary package of Gaim that was built with SSL support you may be able to add /usr/lib/firefox to /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig as root.
After apply patches yesterday and restarting, I wasn't able to connect, this worked for me.
Edit: Fixed quoted quote
Last edited by Slim Backwater; 03-22-2007 at 10:57 AM.
I'm still lost. I've sat here since 8am trying to make Gaim work on Slackware 11.0. (it's now 6.30pm my time)
I have tried every single distribution I could lay my grubby little paws onto.
I have the SSL libraries, I've added Firefox to ld.so.conf, uninstalled, reinstalled, downgraded, upgraded, you name it.
It refuses to connect to msn or AIM whatever I do.
I'm not very good at Linux but this is truely baffling me. I've followed all the instructions to the letter and nothing's working. Looks like I'm stuck on kopete and aim-less (excuse the pun) until a miracle occurs.
Gaim crashes due to the Seamonkey update, but there is a solution in the /patches directory.
I couldn't find much relevance in that post but had a hunt about and saw more on downgrading Seamonkey so did this.
Gaim is not crashing, it's simply not connecting. It just sits there saying it is and after 5 minutes says it can't make a connection to msn or AIM.
Someone suggested it might be due to me having a static IP on my pc but I've not had problems with Gaim on other linux distros and I've always used a static IP. It's just this version of Slackware that's giving me a headache with it all.