LinuxQuestions.org
LinuxAnswers - the LQ Linux tutorial section.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 05-26-2009, 06:21 AM   #1
gabim
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2009
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu
Posts: 14
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 2
Flash Player 10 in Slackware64


I would use the 64-bit Adobe Flash Player 10 in Firefox on Slackware64, but when I try to open page with flash, the Firefox crashes with segmentation fault.
I downloaded the player from http://download.macromedia.com/pub/l...6_64.so.tar.gz, and copied its content (libflashplayer.so) into $HOME/.mozilla/plugins directory as it is written on http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/f...t.html#install.
I used the http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html as test page, but I tried more sites also.

The result is an error message like this:
/usr/lib64/firefox-3.0.10/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 9625 Segmentation fault "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

Has somebody any idea, how could I gain a working 64 bit flash plugin with a 64 bit Firefox?
 
Old 05-26-2009, 07:00 AM   #2
disturbed1
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,133
Blog Entries: 6

Rep: Reputation: 223Reputation: 223Reputation: 223
There's a SlackBuild for flash in the extra directory.
http://mirrors.easynews.com/linux/sl...player-plugin/

Do you have another/different libflashplayer.so in /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins or anywhere else on the system?

Check about:plugins in Firefox.

I personally use Seamonkey, but just did a check in Firefox with your link, and watched a quick episode at hulu.com.
 
Old 05-26-2009, 07:03 AM   #3
dolphin77
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Posts: 200

Rep: Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabim View Post
I would use the 64-bit Adobe Flash Player 10 in Firefox on Slackware64, but when I try to open page with flash, the Firefox crashes with segmentation fault.
I downloaded the player from http://download.macromedia.com/pub/l...6_64.so.tar.gz, and copied its content (libflashplayer.so) into $HOME/.mozilla/plugins directory as it is written on http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/f...t.html#install.
I used the http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html as test page, but I tried more sites also.

The result is an error message like this:
/usr/lib64/firefox-3.0.10/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 9625 Segmentation fault "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

Has somebody any idea, how could I gain a working 64 bit flash plugin with a 64 bit Firefox?
look at the /extra directory of slackware64-current.

Simply run
cd slackware64-current/extra/flashplayer-plugin
sh flashplayer-plugin.SlackBuild
installpkg /tmp/flashplayer-plugin-10.0.22.87-x86_64-1.txz

I use it and everything runs pretty well.
 
Old 05-26-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
vinegaroon
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 99

Rep: Reputation: 21
Is this a full Slackware install with all the libraries that come with Slackware installed?
This is working fine for me with an up to date Slackware64-current, and the same versions of Flash and Firefox.
 
Old 05-26-2009, 07:49 AM   #5
gabim
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2009
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu
Posts: 14
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2
Thanks for all the ideas, I will try that SlackBuild and will check the installed libraries also. I installed every lib as far as I remember, but I will check it.
 
Old 05-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
piete
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: Havant, Hampshire, UK
Distribution: Slamd64, Slackware, PS2Linux
Posts: 465

Rep: Reputation: 44
I'm not running Slackware64 with the slackbuild flash64 (it's just a binary repack, though), so at the risk of being beaten into a bloody pulp: my experience with flash 64 has been that it works on some sites and not others. Typically sites which care about their audience things work fine with. What I find notoriously bad are certain flash adverts which just kill my browser completely.

For others who are coming across flash-based problems, I would recommend you install a flash blocker into firefox if you need to use your machine (while diagnosing other problems, say ... ) and can't live without flash

In this instance, however, it seems unlikely that this will help the OPs problem.

- Piete.
 
Old 05-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
gabim
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2009
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu
Posts: 14
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2
My today results:
I removed the manually installed Flash plugin from ~/.mozilla/plugins and installed the SlackBuild from /extra. The Firefox still crashed with segfault. After that I checked the "l" section packages and I stated every package of this category is installed on my system, so this is not the reason. During this checking I downloaded a page from a Slackware mirror by "curl" and got this message:
curl: error while loading shared libraries: libsasl2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
I installed the "cyrus-sasl" package and I got a working "curl" and additionally a working Firefox together with a Flash player!
Thank you very much for the tips and the help!

Finally I checked the "curl":
$ objdump -x /usr/bin/curl | grep NEEDED | grep sasl
NEEDED libsasl2.so.2
$

and the Firefox also:
$ objdump -x /usr/lib64/firefox-3.0.10/firefox-bin | grep NEEDED | grep sasl
$

So the "curl" knows their needs of "sasl", while Firefox doesn't; therefore the "curl" writes an error message when this lib is not on the system but the Firefox doesn't, the result is only a silent segfault. Why is this...?

My problem is definitely smaller now: I have a working Flash player, but I have no sound in that at all. I used this page for checking, but others don't work also. Any idea? (My user is in the "audio" group and the sound works on the system in all applications except the Flash.)
 
Old 05-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
vinegaroon
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2008
Posts: 99

Rep: Reputation: 21
If you were missing that library, it's possible you are missing others.
If you are using slackpkg you could try:
$ slackpkg install-new
 
Old 05-27-2009, 01:38 AM   #9
dolphin77
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Posts: 200

Rep: Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabim View Post
My today results:
I removed the manually installed Flash plugin from ~/.mozilla/plugins and installed the SlackBuild from /extra. The Firefox still crashed with segfault. After that I checked the "l" section packages and I stated every package of this category is installed on my system, so this is not the reason. During this checking I downloaded a page from a Slackware mirror by "curl" and got this message:
curl: error while loading shared libraries: libsasl2.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
I installed the "cyrus-sasl" package and I got a working "curl" and additionally a working Firefox together with a Flash player!
Thank you very much for the tips and the help!

Finally I checked the "curl":
$ objdump -x /usr/bin/curl | grep NEEDED | grep sasl
NEEDED libsasl2.so.2
$

and the Firefox also:
$ objdump -x /usr/lib64/firefox-3.0.10/firefox-bin | grep NEEDED | grep sasl
$

So the "curl" knows their needs of "sasl", while Firefox doesn't; therefore the "curl" writes an error message when this lib is not on the system but the Firefox doesn't, the result is only a silent segfault. Why is this...?

My problem is definitely smaller now: I have a working Flash player, but I have no sound in that at all. I used this page for checking, but others don't work also. Any idea? (My user is in the "audio" group and the sound works on the system in all applications except the Flash.)


Well, I checked the link you provided and .... I hear very pleasant sound of nature.

I use slackware64-current. During install I chose all the groups of software besides KDEI and "full" option.

I only see the possibility that you are missing some libs or you have some chanels muted on your computer. try alsamixer from console.
 
Old 05-27-2009, 02:20 AM   #10
gabim
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2009
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu
Posts: 14
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by piete View Post
I'm not running Slackware64 with the slackbuild flash64 (it's just a binary repack, though), so at the risk of being beaten into a bloody pulp: my experience with flash 64 has been that it works on some sites and not others. Typically sites which care about their audience things work fine with. What I find notoriously bad are certain flash adverts which just kill my browser completely.

For others who are coming across flash-based problems, I would recommend you install a flash blocker into firefox if you need to use your machine (while diagnosing other problems, say ... ) and can't live without flash

In this instance, however, it seems unlikely that this will help the OPs problem.

- Piete.
I can agree, I use Adblock Plus and I block the flash ads also.
I'm not a flash fan, but my son likes some flash games.
And there are some webshops with product demo in flash video, unfortunately. I could live without flash anyway, I like the HTML/CSS/XML world better.
 
Old 05-27-2009, 02:30 AM   #11
gabim
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2009
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu
Posts: 14
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinegaroon View Post
If you were missing that library, it's possible you are missing others.
If you are using slackpkg you could try:
$ slackpkg install-new
Yes, it's possible and I would like to discover what library/package needed exactly. I don't like to install everything, I omit those packages I know as unnecessary. "slackpkg install-new": already done.
 
Old 05-27-2009, 02:37 AM   #12
gabim
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2009
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu
Posts: 14
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin77 View Post
Well, I checked the link you provided and .... I hear very pleasant sound of nature.

I use slackware64-current. During install I chose all the groups of software besides KDEI and "full" option.

I only see the possibility that you are missing some libs or you have some chanels muted on your computer. try alsamixer from console.
This is really a help for me: "I hear very pleasant sound of nature. I use slackware64-current.", because I know there exists solution, therefore I continue the investigation.
How could I clear up what libs I need exactly?
I have full "l" and "x" groups installed and the KDE plays the sounds very nicely. I will check the alsamixer, but I set it already properly as I can remember.
 
Old 05-27-2009, 05:28 AM   #13
gabim
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2009
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu
Posts: 14
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin77 View Post
Well, I checked the link you provided and .... I hear very pleasant sound of nature.

I use slackware64-current. During install I chose all the groups of software besides KDEI and "full" option.

I only see the possibility that you are missing some libs or you have some chanels muted on your computer. try alsamixer from console.
Case is solved. You were right, my channel PCM was muted, I set only the Master and the Front last time. I hear the voices in Flash fine now.
I am so stupid, I am ashamed.
Thank you for all, for everyone!
 
Old 05-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #14
gabim
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2009
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu
Posts: 14
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 2
I created a script to discover the library dependencies on my system:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

ECHO=/usr/bin/echo
SED=/usr/bin/sed
FILE=/usr/bin/file
CUT=/usr/bin/cut
LDD=/usr/bin/ldd
GREP=/usr/bin/grep
AWK=/usr/bin/awk

for p in `$ECHO $PATH | $SED 's/:/ /g'`
do
    for f in $p/*
    do
        if [ 'ELF' == `$FILE -b $f | $CUT -d' ' -f1` ]; then
            if $LDD $f | $GREP -q 'not found'; then
                $ECHO "$f"
                $LDD $f | $GREP 'not found' | $AWK '{print "Not found:", $1}'
            fi
        fi
    done
done
I found some missing libraries by this (and searched the missing packages from MANIFEST.gz), so I have pasted to here, maybe it can be useful for others also.
 
Old 05-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #15
Bruce Hill
HCL Maintainer
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Tupelo, MS
Distribution: Gentoo
Posts: 6,926

Rep: Reputation: 124Reputation: 124
After building and installing flashplayer-plugin-10.0.22.87-x86_64-1
from Slackware64 -current, Firefox shows Shockwave Flash in
Code:
about:plugins
However, the Adobe site Test Adobe Shockwave & Flash Players shows that
Adobe Shockwave Player is not installed. What am I missing?

Sorry for the code tags around about/colon/plugins. We previously had
a selection to not allow smiley faces in posts, but I don't see it
here. Maybe now it's just in our UserCP.
 
  


Reply

Tags
flashplayer, slackbuilds, slackware64


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
zattoo complains of no flash player installed, but flash is installed TheBrick Linux - Software 8 07-10-2008 07:28 AM
Flash player forgottenwolf Linux - Software 2 01-02-2008 07:46 AM
Flash Player Chronothread Linux - Software 2 12-04-2007 07:41 PM
No Real Player Sound after Flash Player hroit Linux - Software 4 01-16-2007 02:05 PM
Flash Player renilcerym Linux - Software 3 06-04-2006 10:59 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration