LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   firewall (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/firewall-4175431296/)

gothmog123 10-09-2012 05:54 AM

firewall
 
Hi guys I'm new to slack so bear with me.

I need a firewall for my new 1.4 slack system and I'm not very knowledgeable on networking stuff so I've been using ufw.

I saw that it's not available for slack 1.4

Is there any way to get it for 1.4 or is there an alternative in the repos that's also as simple to use?

BTW I'm an intermediate Linux user and just discovered SW and really liking it.

adriv 10-09-2012 06:44 AM

I use the Easy Firewall Generator for IPTables which works fine for me. Generate the firewall script, put the content in a file called rc.firewall and put it in /etc/rc.d/.
Make it executable (chmod +x rc.firewall) and your'e all set.

gothmog123 10-09-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adriv (Post 4801144)
I use the Easy Firewall Generator for IPTables which works fine for me. Generate the firewall script, put the content in a file called rc.firewall and put it in /etc/rc.d/.
Make it executable (chmod +x rc.firewall) and your'e all set.



Thanks!

Looks good but I installed ufw from slackbuilds for SW13, is that going to cause problems?

adriv 10-09-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gothmog123 (Post 4801272)
Thanks!

Looks good but I installed ufw from slackbuilds for SW13, is that going to cause problems?

I doubt it, but there are probably other people around here who know more about this (I haven't got any experience with ufw).

ReaperX7 10-09-2012 03:40 PM

AlienBOB's EFG works well for most situations but if you are wanting some in-depth knowledge into setting up Firewalls at more advanced levels look into this article from the ArchLinux wiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Firewall

Also check out this article for a Simple Stateful Firewall. It's rather informative.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...teful_firewall

gothmog123 10-11-2012 04:33 AM

Thanks Reaper,

So I copied all iptables rules from that Arch wiki page and they are starting on boot.

Am I OK like this ? Sorry but as I said I have no idea about networking so the iptables frontends seem too complicated.

adriv 10-11-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gothmog123 (Post 4802768)
Thanks Reaper,

So I copied all iptables rules from that Arch wiki page and they are starting on boot.

Am I OK like this ? Sorry but as I said I have no idea about networking so the iptables frontends seem too complicated.

If you do this as a learning experience, then off course it's fine. You'll learn a lot from it. But if that's not your intention (but you just want a ready-to-go solution), then I strongly suggest to use the firewall script. It's easy, you don't have to understand it, it's a good protection out-of-the-box.

ReaperX7 10-11-2012 10:11 PM

AlienBOB's can be configured in very detailed aspects, but it can be somewhat advanced at times if you start getting too detailed with it.

gothmog123 10-12-2012 05:08 PM

OK thanks guys, I am finally running Alien Bob's script lol.

Is it being maintained though? The last item in the changelog is from 2005

stormtracknole 10-12-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gothmog123 (Post 4804259)
OK thanks guys, I am finally running Alien Bob's script lol.

Is it being maintained though? The last item in the changelog is from 2005

Not at all. Still working really well.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 AM.