Firefox fonts look awful for user, great for root.
SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
Cheers for the link. I tried a few things in there but no luck. I don't understand what the problem is because the root account is fine (didn't need to setup fonts). I've also installed normal mozilla (1.7) and it does the same. Seems like a general font permission problem but i can't find anything
What I finally did was uninstalling firefox and using mozilla
I don't know why, but mozilla's fonts are perfect in my system... I emerged some fonts but since you use slackware, I don't have any further ideas about slack.. Font problem seems to be a small problem but in my opinion, it is not!!!
I don't think it's a Slackware thing. I have the same problem with Mozilla 1.7 (and Netscape) on SuSE 9.0. Seems Mozilla, Netscape, and possibly Firefox share some settings. Anyway, I turned off "antialiasing" for fonts, and it fixed the problem for Mozilla, but introduced the problem for all other KDE gui apps.
try removing ~/.mozilla/firefox (or moving it to a backup). Not sure why, but I had the same problem, and when I did this, it went away. (I upgraded firefox several times trying to fix it as well, getting the whole deb package again... but the problem didn't go away).
I have noticed this same problem on Slackware 10. I tried removing my profile for Firefox as Latecomer suggested, but it did not seem to make any difference.
I also wanted to make it clear that this is not a lack of good fonts or TrueType fonts for the system. My machine was upgraded from Slackware 9.1, which worked perfectly, and all my old fonts are still there. It does not make all fonts look bad all the time; only some fonts don't seem to look as they are supposed to (mostly it seems to be an issue of certain letters appearing too close to each other with certain fonts). Also the fonts behave fine for the root account, just not for a regular user. It seems clear that this is some kind of permissions problem, but permission on what is still a mystery to me. I will post again if I find the answer to this issue.