LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   FIREFOX about:config - allowing normal user to make changes. (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/firefox-about-config-allowing-normal-user-to-make-changes-945725/)

daz__ 05-18-2012 08:53 AM

FIREFOX about:config - allowing normal user to make changes.
 
Greetings LQ,
I have returned with yet another stoopid question :).

To the meat straight away.

Recently due to pressure from SOPA and the likes one of my favourite sites thepiratebay has changed its link policy to use magnetic links which firefox does not understand yet.

I am aware of a few torrent clients that do magnetic links but I wish to continue with the setup I use.

I downloaded a script recently to open tranmission torrent client from firefox and followed instructions to get up and running. First I though the script and changes made to firefox about:config were in error until I logged in as root and followed the recipe and it worked.

I do not want to run transmission as root so I logged back in as my normal user restarted firefox went to the piratebay tested a link and the result was not as expected. Firefox does not understand magnetic links.

I have been thinking about deleting my .mozilla folder from my home directory but that is a little drastic me believes.

has anyone got any idea of a more realistic option other than destroying my whole mozilla directory to test this out. I would not like to lose my bookmarks and all that.

any help much appreciated.

thank you in advance.
jimmy

ps. If I do not respond back to replys in a hurry please do not think i am un-interested. It probably means I am over in my survival garden for a few days working. will be here for a few hours today though so I will respond while I can.

qweasd 05-18-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daz__ (Post 4681806)
Greetings LQ,
I downloaded a script recently to open tranmission torrent client from firefox and followed instructions to get up and running. First I though the script and changes made to firefox about:config were in error until I logged in as root and followed the recipe and it worked.

A script? Would you care to cite?

Anywho, to get firefox 12 to open magnets for a single user, in about:config purge whatever you got there magnet-related, then make a Boolean network.protocol-handler.expose.magnet and set it to false. Then click on a magnet link.

273 05-18-2012 09:09 AM

You should not make any changes to about:config as root if you want them to work fr your normal user account.
without knowing what precisely you are trying to do it's difficult to help any further but might I suggest carrying out the steps as your normal user and seeing whether that works.

daz__ 05-18-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qweasd (Post 4681818)
A script? Would you care to cite?

Anywho, to get firefox 12 to open magnets for a single user, in about:config purge whatever you got there magnet-related, then make a Boolean network.protocol-handler.expose.magnet and set it to false. Then click on a magnet link.

Sorry should have given more info.

the following script goes into /usr/local/bin
the script name is magnet

Code:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/transmission-remote --add "$1"

chmod +x /usr/local/bin/magnet

I then created the boolean network.protocol-handler.expose.magnet set to false.

I will try to purge all magnet links in config.

thank you

sorry cant remember where script came from any more

daz__ 05-18-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 273 (Post 4681823)
You should not make any changes to about:config as root if you want them to work fr your normal user account.
without knowing what precisely you are trying to do it's difficult to help any further but might I suggest carrying out the steps as your normal user and seeing whether that works.

well that is just it I did try several times doing it as a normal user and now joy. only worked when done as root.

thank you for response.

I added more info in a response to qweasd.

daz__ 05-18-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qweasd (Post 4681818)
A script? Would you care to cite?

Anywho, to get firefox 12 to open magnets for a single user, in about:config purge whatever you got there magnet-related, then make a Boolean network.protocol-handler.expose.magnet and set it to false. Then click on a magnet link.

thankyou qweasd
that worked a treat.
thread solved

daz


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 PM.