LinuxQuestions.org
Support LQ: Use code LQ3 and save $3 on Domain Registration
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 08-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #46
rkfb
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Guildford, England
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 303

Rep: Reputation: 41

I drop in on Distrowatch just to see what's going on and I like looking through the list of distros just to see what they all are. Where any particular distro is at any particular time is of no consequence really. I just love it that so many people love Linux enough for Distrowatch to exist in the first place and the fact that there are these quirky little distros way down the list only makes it better.

Slackware is my choice and will always remain so but if someone somewhere wants to create myhomerolledlinuxdistro or someone else wants to try Ubuntu then I think that's great and I really hope it works out for them.

And well done to Distrowatch for many years promoting Linux. Long may they continue.

Let's face it, we all love a list.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #47
rkfb
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Guildford, England
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 303

Rep: Reputation: 41
If you are looking for a bit of a warm glow by the way, change the data span at the top to '2002'.

We're 7th
 
Old 08-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #48
cisneros
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2012
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 95

Rep: Reputation: 5
when slack 14.1 comes out, its gonna be again in the top 10, just wait and see.
 
Old 08-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #49
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current & "True Multilib." PC-BSD.
Posts: 2,275

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisneros View Post
when slack 14.1 comes out, its gonna be again in the top 10, just wait and see.
Yes, that is usually how it works. Recently Slackware has been as low as 22 and at the moment is 21 on the list.
 
Old 08-24-2013, 03:22 AM   #50
alex.loehner
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Location: Berlin, Germany
Distribution: Debian, Android, Gentoo, Arch Linux, Ubuntu, CentOS, LFS
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisretusn View Post
Not everyone is registered there.
But everyone should be registered there! :-P
 
Old 08-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #51
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: Slackware«
Posts: 11,473
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525
Member Response

Hi,

Distrowatch can be a good resource for Gnu/Linux users. In this case where some are worried about Slackware's score level related to downloads from Distrowatch is a moot point. Slackware is available from more than one source, not just Distrowatch.

Popularity at the site is driven by most hold your hand distributions being downloaded by users unaware of true inner workings of Linux. Look at the top dog, Mint. Mint's category is 'Beginner' which would drive new users to this type. Not saying 'Mint' is lacking or does not deserve the status but that the level of use/complexity is what drives new users to 'Mint' or like Gnu/Linux.

It would be nice if everyone that uses a Gnu/Linux would register their installs with Linux Counter. That would be a true means to show usage.
Look at the single installs in the list, very interesting.

Last edited by onebuck; 08-24-2013 at 10:35 AM. Reason: correct counter link
 
Old 08-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #52
alex.loehner
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Aug 2013
Location: Berlin, Germany
Distribution: Debian, Android, Gentoo, Arch Linux, Ubuntu, CentOS, LFS
Posts: 3

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck View Post
Hi,
[...]
It would be nice if everyone that uses a Gnu/Linux would register their installs with Linux Counter. That would be a true means to show usage.
Look at the single installs in the list, very interesting.
Hi onebuck,

for your information, the old counter.li.org is outdated and offline. The New Linux Counter Project has taken over this old project and its database and was created with uptodate techniques.

See here: http://linuxcounter.net/
And here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Counter
 
Old 08-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #53
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current & "True Multilib." PC-BSD.
Posts: 2,275

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck View Post
Hi,

Distrowatch can be a good resource for Gnu/Linux users. In this case where some are worried about Slackware's score level related to downloads from Distrowatch is a moot point. Slackware is available from more than one source, not just Distrowatch....

It is not counting downloads, but "hits" from people clicking on a name and reading about a particular distribution.
 
Old 08-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #54
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: Slackware«
Posts: 11,473
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525
Member Response

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.loehner View Post
Hi onebuck,

for your information, the old counter.li.org is outdated and offline. The New Linux Counter Project has taken over this old project and its database and was created with uptodate techniques.

See here: http://linuxcounter.net/
And here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Counter
Thanks! I had updated my sig link but failed to use the new link for the Linux Counter in my reply. Corrected.
 
Old 08-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #55
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Midwest USA, Central Illinois
Distribution: Slackware«
Posts: 11,473
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525Reputation: 1525
Member Response

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwizardone View Post
It is not counting downloads, but "hits" from people clicking on a name and reading about a particular distribution.
Ya! My mistake, forgot about 'HPD' listing.
 
Old 08-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #56
rkfb
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Guildford, England
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 303

Rep: Reputation: 41
If you look here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...stributions-5/

at the total number of posts for each distro you can see that just as Mint is top dog on the Distrowatch list, Slackware is easily the most active user community on Linux Questions. I went through the Distrowatch top 40, looking at the forums listed for each distro and noted the total number of posts made in those forums.

The numbers come out like this:

1. Ubuntu 12,130,058
2. Gentoo 5,676,975
3. Fedora 1,599,993
4. Arch 1,268,800
5. openSUSE 896,870
6. Mint 719,891
7. Puppy 712,999
8. Debian 457,188
9. Slackware 452,903
10. CrunchBang 323,115
11. Kubuntu 309,125
12. FreeBSD 219,939
13. CentOS 184,473
14. Sabayon 155,980
15. KNOPPIX 128,144
16. PCLinuxOS 119,552
17. Bodhi 74,553
18. Chakra 67,810
19. Manjaro 54,647
20. Mageia 38,802
21. antiX 30,167
22. Peppermint 29,806
23. Pinguy 29,285
24. SolusOS 25,738
25. Zorin 21,352
26. ROSA 17,943
27. Lite 7,436
28. Elive 5,730
29. Kali 5,458
30. Pear 5,027
31. SparkyLinux 1,471
32. Snowlinux 1,347
33. Antergos 964
34. OS4 None Listed
35. elementary None Listed
36. Tails None Revealed

As you can see Slackware still makes it in as the 9th most active community. (Notably, Gentoo is 2nd from 33rd on Distrowatch). Some of the *buntu ones listed at DW don't seem to have their own forums so I guess they all come under the 12,000,000 or so under Ubuntu at number 1 (and Mint is a long way behind this on the number count). Couldn't see one for OS4 either and the RedHat figure was taken from LQ.

Whilst I did just do this for fun, I do also believe that the community behind each distribution is possibly the single most important driving force behind that distro's existence and in that respect I believe Pat and the rest of us can be confident that Slackware will continue to thrive for many years to come, regardless of where we may be on the Distrowatch hit-list.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:50 PM   #57
hitest
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Prince Rupert, B.C., Canada
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD
Posts: 4,282

Rep: Reputation: 588Reputation: 588Reputation: 588Reputation: 588Reputation: 588Reputation: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkfb View Post
Whilst I did just do this for fun, I do also believe that the community behind each distribution is possibly the single most important driving force behind that distro's existence and in that respect I believe Pat and the rest of us can be confident that Slackware will continue to thrive for many years to come, regardless of where we may be on the Distrowatch hit-list.
We can help to ensure the continued success of Slackware by opening our wallets. I have a subscription to Slackware. I invite all Slackers to contribute what you can. You can make a donation to Slackware.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:03 AM   #58
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current & "True Multilib." PC-BSD.
Posts: 2,275

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkfb View Post
....As you can see Slackware still makes it in as the 9th most active community. (Notably, Gentoo is 2nd from 33rd on Distrowatch). Some of the *buntu ones listed at DW don't seem to have their own forums so I guess they all come under the 12,000,000 or so under Ubuntu at number 1 (and Mint is a long way behind this on the number count). Couldn't see one for OS4 either and the RedHat figure was taken from LQ.

Whilst I did just do this for fun, I do also believe that the community behind each distribution is possibly the single most important driving force behind that distro's existence and in that respect I believe Pat and the rest of us can be confident that Slackware will continue to thrive for many years to come, regardless of where we may be on the Distrowatch hit-list.
Nicely done!
 
Old 08-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #59
hpfeil
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2010
Location: Tucson, Arizona US
Distribution: Slackware Current, custom kernel, amd64, Beyond LinuxFromScratch
Posts: 130
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I think it is sad that they dropped logic from high school curricula, folks appear to no longer recognize logical fallacies. The only conclusion one can draw from that poll is the distro popularity among those who have the time to play in distrowatch.com. Respondents were not chosen from a randomly-chosen double-blind-selected population.

Slackware will remain my number one. A computer is only a tool; choose the correct tool for the job. If the machine's purpose is recreation, maybe those "distros" fit the bill. Seasoned systems engineers with a background degree in computer science might choose a different tool. In the mid-eighties, people would argue about wordperfect vs M$word. Those who could remember all those sequences of keystrokes probably use emacs today, others may have the time to stop what they're doing and reach for a mouse. Use whatever makes you more productive.
 
Old 09-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #60
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current & "True Multilib." PC-BSD.
Posts: 2,275

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
Slackware has fallen to 23, the lowest I've ever seen it, but it should move back up as soon as a new release is announced.
Whether or not it gets back into the top 10 is another story.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rosetta Stone roofninja Linux - General 3 05-04-2013 09:41 AM
Is it necessary to drop specific flags in IPTABLES with an INPUT DROP policy? rootaccess Linux - Networking 5 08-22-2012 09:10 PM
Drop connections to port 80 at firewall machine also drop at protected network? Niceman2005 Linux - Security 2 10-27-2005 09:21 AM
iptables - drop all -> allow needed OR allow all -> drop specific lucastic Linux - Security 5 12-21-2004 03:07 AM
2 birds, 1 stone breakerfall Linux - General 15 08-10-2003 12:10 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration