LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   error with texlive configuration (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/error-with-texlive-configuration-4175434037/)

palsar 10-25-2012 11:30 AM

error with texlive configuration
 
do i have latex or not...i'm trying to install texlive slackbuild and there's an error configuration :

e -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-unknown-pragmas
checking for clisp... clisp
checking for perl... perl
checking for latex... no
checking for elatex... no
checking for lambda... no
checking for pdflatex... no
configure: error: LATEX is required to build xindy rules
=== configuring in xindy failed
make[2]: *** [subutils] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/tmp/SBo/texlive-20120701-source/build/utils'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/SBo/texlive-20120701-source/build/utils'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

i want to install texlive because i don't know how to display greek letters on latex pdf paper.

markush 10-25-2012 12:26 PM

Hi,

Slackware comes with tetex in the t series. And as far as I've read you'll need this package in order to build texlive from the sources. Here a quote from slackbuilds.org
Quote:

Originally Posted by http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.0/office/texlive/
Note that this package is intended to completely replace (and then some) the
tetex packages in Slackware, so you'll need to remove tetex and tetex-doc
before installing TeXLive (but NOT before BUILDING it).

This means you'll have to leave the t-series installed until you've built texlive!

I have texlive running but installed it not from slackbuilds.org but with the installer: http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texli...-tl-unx.tar.gz unfortunately it downloads about 2GB of data while it installs but runs properly on Slackware.

Markus

palsar 10-25-2012 12:35 PM

thanx!!!i'm trying to display greeks...i think i'll find a solution without installing texlive

markush 10-25-2012 12:39 PM

Could you please explain what's exactly the problem when you try to create greek letters in LaTeX? As you know these letters are often used in mathmatics and it should be no problem to get them for example
Code:

\alpha, \beta, \Gamma, \gamma etc.
Markus

palsar 10-25-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markush (Post 4814744)
Could you please explain what's exactly the problem when you try to create greek letters in LaTeX? As you know these letters are often used in mathmatics and it should be no problem to get them for example
Code:

\alpha, \beta, \Gamma, \gamma etc.
Markus

i know that but i want to write in greek language...

markush 10-25-2012 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, that should be similar as writing german language. You should search in the internet for examples of a LaTeX-header for greek-language. For example here: http://users.uom.gr/~athang/latex_gr.html, it works here
Code:

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage[english,greek]{babel} %% i teleftaia glossa tha einai default

\begin{document}

\section{Eisagwg'h}

Aut'o e'inai 'ena par'adeigma tou
\selectlanguage{english}site        %% Edo mporoume na valoume kai tin entoli \textlatin{site}
\selectlanguage{greek}tou Gi'annh. %% kai etsi den xreiazetai na xanakanoume \selectlanguage
\end{document}

I'll append the output to this posting.

Markus

palsar 10-25-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markush (Post 4814763)
Well, that should be similar as writing german language. You should search in the internet for examples of a LaTeX-header for greek-language. For example here: http://users.uom.gr/~athang/latex_gr.html, it works here
Code:

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage[english,greek]{babel} %% i teleftaia glossa tha einai default

\begin{document}

\section{Eisagwg'h}

Aut'o e'inai 'ena par'adeigma tou
\selectlanguage{english}site        %% Edo mporoume na valoume kai tin entoli \textlatin{site}
\selectlanguage{greek}tou Gi'annh. %% kai etsi den xreiazetai na xanakanoume \selectlanguage
\end{document}

I'll append the output to this posting.

Markus

thanx markus....i've been searching in google and i saw this example...maybe i have to use latin characters!

markush 10-25-2012 01:34 PM

You should also check the newgroup comp.text.tex

Markus

san 10-25-2012 02:54 PM

1. this solution works with the latest texlive.
Code:

\documentclass[12pt,a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\usepackage{xgreek}
\setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Linux Libertine O} % I've replaced the font
\begin{document}
Χαίρε κόσμε
\end{document}

this requires xetex instead of latex, so you will need texlive.

for shorter texts in greek, there is also the betababel package that you can load instead of babel.

2. you should be able to compile texlive just by replacing --enable-xindy by --disable-xindy in the slackbuild (this is what i did:)).

markush 10-25-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by san (Post 4814842)
...
2. you should be able to compile texlive just by replacing --enable-xindy by --disable-xindy in the slackbuild (this is what i did:)).

You do not need to compile texlive when you install the package with the installer http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texli...-tl-unx.tar.gz
It is no problem that this version doesn't come as a Slackwarepackage, because it installs as /usr/local/texlive/ and one has only to set the pathes correctly. The package can be uninstalled completely by deleting this directory.

Markus

palsar 10-25-2012 03:35 PM

thanx for the help!!!i think i will install texlive slackbuild because i'm tired enough!!

palsar 10-26-2012 07:22 AM

i finally installed the texlive slackbuild and works fine with greeks...xelatex is fine...thanx for the help!!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.