[SOLVED] display chinese characters in file browser
SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Using Fluxbox, have tried this in XFCE and KDE. Chinese characters display properly in whatever browser I use online. I do need to see some in the file manager and this is not working. I have installed the following chinese display files from Slack -
No results so far. What am I missing here?
Last edited by patostevens; 01-29-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Thanks Dugan. I did as you suggested and now am getting a few chinese characters and then a lot of black diamonds with a question mark in the center of them. Better than before but didn't quite cure the problem.
Generally Qt programs have very good support for different character sets. It could be that you need to find a font with better Chinese support. Try KDE's system settings to see if changing things works. kde-l10n-zh only gives you KDE in the Chinese language, you don't need it to actually see Chinese text or filenames.
I probably wasn't clear enough to start with. My specific need is to be able to see chinese filenames with the native characters in them. (Got to do with some files for a Kindle.) I have tried running kde and using dolphin and got no different results.