SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Show the output of:
My first guess, even without seeing the output of those things, is that you had previously installed dbus on your own, most likely to /usr/local, and now the libs in /usr/local/lib are being seen instead of the correct ones in /usr/lib.
Also, make sure you have all of your packages are in sync with what's currently available in the -current tree - see the CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT file for pointers.
Yes, i do have dbus installed before i upgrade to -Current, but i already uninstalled it before i upgrade to -Current. My packages are already in sync with -current and i do have look on that file before i commit the upgrades
Thanks for your help and your analysis is correct. It seems that dbus installation didn't clean up the library even after i commit make uninstall, so it's still left there. After i removed it, i can start the messagebus daemon again and dbus-uuidgen can now work perfectly
Yes, and you see now why I asked
libdbus-1.so.3 => /usr/local/lib/libdbus-1.so.3 (0xb7f06000)
This happens to a lot of people, and that's why I *strongly* recommend that people package every piece of software that they install, even if it's only with checkinstall or slacktrack. That way, you can be much more assured of removing the stale bits later when you upgrade it.
Either way, I'm glad it's working for you now. Also, I received your email and am writing a reply now.
Yeah, you should definitely be using checkinstall rather than just doing a "make install". you can never be sure what is happening if you just let it install however it wants. This becomes a problem when it is time to install if some files are left behind.
Of course, that is assuming the source package's makefile even has a "uninstall" target in the first place, which not all of them do.