-current+DLG+compiz working great on my laptop
It works quite well. It may be somewhat unstable. The only thing that I haven't got working is hibernating with the gnome power manager icon (works fine from command line). I have once come back to my computer to find a blank screen and unresponsive keyboard. After the upgrade to current I had to:
- recompile kernel
- merge .news, change some symlinks
- reinstall nvidia, truecrypt
- reinstall the wonderful Win font set
- recomile compiz
- recompile hal
- recompile gnome-volume-manager
- learn the magical incantation of plugins (order of words is important, or the magic won't work. I had trouble finding doc) and set up compiz (I used gconf-editor, it's very simple)
I love slackware. Compiling programs is so rarely problematic. So all this is quickly done. I remember compiling problems with all the other distros I've tried.
Anyway, thank you, thank you, thank you for all the work done by Pat and all the slackware contributors, the DLG team, and to the many precious programmers who make the incredible range of open source software. What an amazing collective achievement.
Last edited by BCarey; 05-25-2007 at 06:53 PM.