LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   CUPS error in Slackware 12 (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/cups-error-in-slackware-12-a-622353/)

AceofSpades19 02-19-2008 06:13 PM

CUPS error in Slackware 12
 
Hello,

My printer was working fine until one day, it stopped working :(, its a Canon PIXMA iP1600, here is the error log
Code:

I [19/Feb/2008:16:02:29 -0800] Listening to 127.0.0.1:631 (IPv4)
I [19/Feb/2008:16:02:29 -0800] Listening to /var/run/cups/cups.sock (Domain)
I [19/Feb/2008:16:02:29 -0800] Loaded configuration file "/etc/cups/cupsd.conf"
I [19/Feb/2008:16:02:29 -0800] Using default TempDir of /var/spool/cups/tmp...
I [19/Feb/2008:16:02:29 -0800] Cleaning out old temporary files in "/var/spool/cups/tmp"...
I [19/Feb/2008:16:02:29 -0800] Configured for up to 100 clients.
I [19/Feb/2008:16:02:29 -0800] Allowing up to 100 client connections per host.
I [19/Feb/2008:16:02:29 -0800] Using policy "default" as the default!
I [19/Feb/2008:16:02:29 -0800] Full reload is required.
I [19/Feb/2008:16:02:30 -0800] Loaded MIME database from '/etc/cups': 34 types, 38 filters...
I [19/Feb/2008:16:02:31 -0800] Loading NextJobId from job cache file "/var/cache/cups/job.cache"...
I [19/Feb/2008:16:02:31 -0800] Full reload complete.
I [19/Feb/2008:16:02:32 -0800] Listening to 127.0.0.1:631 on fd 0...
I [19/Feb/2008:16:02:32 -0800] Listening to /var/run/cups/cups.sock on fd 2...
E [19/Feb/2008:16:02:32 -0800] Unable to set ACLs on root certificate "/var/run/cups/certs/0" - Operation not supported

The odd thing is, it had that error before in the log and it worked fine, any ideas?

aus9 02-19-2008 11:31 PM

well printers are desinged to fail.....ink dries up....heads get clogged so it could be a hardware issue = dead printer.

2) have you opened a web browser and just gone into address
localhost:631......if cups service is enabled and listening....you should get the cups home page...then click on printers and see what it reports

H_TeXMeX_H 02-20-2008 01:49 PM

Well, typically thing don't just happen out of the blue like that (except of course hardware failure, but that's the last thing to assume). Did you do anything before this happened ? Upgrade anything, change anything ?

AceofSpades19 02-20-2008 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aus9 (Post 3063308)
well printers are desinged to fail.....ink dries up....heads get clogged so it could be a hardware issue = dead printer.

2) have you opened a web browser and just gone into address
localhost:631......if cups service is enabled and listening....you should get the cups home page...then click on printers and see what it reports

No, cups is not running because of that error, I should have made myself more clear, my bad

Quote:

Originally Posted by H_TeXMeX_H (Post 3064056)
Well, typically thing don't just happen out of the blue like that (except of course hardware failure, but that's the last thing to assume). Did you do anything before this happened ? Upgrade anything, change anything ?

Well the last major thing I did before that is upgrade dropline gnome, but I remember printing stuff after I did that, so I doubt that is the problem

I doubt that it is a hardware failure because that shouldn't stop cups from running, AFAIK

aus9 02-20-2008 10:50 PM

ok with root powers go into
/var/run/cups/certs and see if you have a file, mine is called 0 (zero) and has a string
BE3F54183E87C68EC26E86A5748A77D2

2) I disagree on your assertion that cups is not running.

did you try to connect to it as.your third last line shows cups is listening on localhost
I [19/Feb/2008:16:02:32 -0800] Listening to 127.0.0.1:631 on fd 0

3) also look at /var/run/cups I have a file called 'cups.sock' which is the socket file.

AceofSpades19 02-20-2008 11:02 PM

1) Yes I do have a file in there and its 21E65052089F9759C254FCD8409945D6
2)I cannot connect to localhost:631
3)yes I have a file called cups.sock in /var/run/cups

BCarey 02-20-2008 11:09 PM

"ps -e | grep cupsd" to see if cups is in fact running.

Brian

AceofSpades19 02-20-2008 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCarey (Post 3064567)
"ps -e | grep cupsd" to see if cups is in fact running.

Brian

root@darkstar:/var/run/cups# ps -e | grep cupsd
root@darkstar:/var/run/cups#

BCarey 02-20-2008 11:58 PM

/etc/rc.d/rc.cups start

What error messages/log messages?

Brian

aus9 02-21-2008 01:09 AM

yeah good one Brian

plus did you make any changes to your firewall, I still think cups is listening but you can not get to it.

aus9 02-21-2008 01:14 AM

just found this which may be useful for slackers

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...563#post390563

AceofSpades19 02-21-2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCarey (Post 3064603)
/etc/rc.d/rc.cups start

What error messages/log messages?

Brian

bash-3.1# /etc/rc.d/rc.cups start
cups: started scheduler. [ OK ]
bash-3.1#
the log messages I posted in post #1

Quote:

Originally Posted by aus9 (Post 3064646)
yeah good one Brian

plus did you make any changes to your firewall, I still think cups is listening but you can not get to it.

I have not made any changes to my firewall that I can think off, I change my router configuration recently but the router shouldn't effect it and this was after this started happening

aus9 02-21-2008 05:29 PM

Code:

su
ifconfig

should give at least the loopback ......127.0.0.1 and maybe the ethernet device.

AceofSpades19 02-21-2008 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aus9 (Post 3065548)
Code:

su
ifconfig

should give at least the loopback ......127.0.0.1 and maybe the ethernet device.

Code:

bash-3.1# ifconfig
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:91 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:91 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:4612 (4.5 KiB)  TX bytes:4612 (4.5 KiB)

wlan0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:03:2F:3A:DD:31
          inet addr:192.168.0.103  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::203:2fff:fe3a:dd31/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:14712 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:9137 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:16986204 (16.1 MiB)  TX bytes:1002360 (978.8 KiB)


aus9 02-22-2008 03:35 AM

ok thanks for that, your local is the same as mine, I use wired ethernet and you have wide lan I assume.

lets go back to your cups error.

try
http://localhost:631/

http://h1.ripway.com/aus9/cups.png

then re-run ifconfig with root powers and your counts should increase.

EDIT

I mean the TX and RX should increase and have no errors

2) Can you name your firewall please and with some firewalls you can see their rulesets.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.