LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 11-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
dumdadum
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Distribution: Slackware 14.1
Posts: 200
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Post


Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewthomas View Post
What is the output of
Code:
glxinfo|grep OpenGL
?
Code:
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 865G x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 8.0.4
OpenGL extensions:
Is this output good or not? Cause when I compile GLUT with its dependancies it says OpenGL isnt installed... I installed PyOpenGL. Is this ok? Will it solve my problem?

Thanks,
Dumdadum
 
Old 11-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #17
andrewthomas
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2010
Location: Chicago Metro
Distribution: Arch, Gentoo, Slackware
Posts: 1,690

Rep: Reputation: 307Reputation: 307Reputation: 307Reputation: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdadum View Post
[CODE]
. I installed PyOpenGL. Is this ok? Will it solve my problem?

Thanks,
Dumdadum
No,it won't. I am also unfamiliar with Intel graphics cards.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #18
grothen
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Posts: 20

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nh3xus View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I've seen the commit in the github repos.

Since I'm a -current user, I think it's just a matter of time before Pat ships it.

Of course building it is an option too.

I just lost hope in a bug fix for that since this bug was well known and never got really fixed.

In previous versions of xfwm4 you were able to enable the vsync option manually with the settings editor of Xfce.

But I had no joy on my laptop.

I guess I will give it a run on another box because I like compton and I don't plan to get rid of it now.
4.11 is a development release, it will hit current?
 
Old 11-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #19
dumdadum
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Distribution: Slackware 14.1
Posts: 200
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewthomas View Post
No,it won't. I am also unfamiliar with Intel graphics cards.
I reinstalled my whole setup cause I had tried installing nVidia drivers and it didnt do exactly what I wanted. I installed PYOpenGL with the Glut extra alongside with the perlOpenGL stuff. In other words, everything that talks about OpenGL on slackbuilds.org was installed... Then I reinstalled Compiz with Emerald and everything works great. The cube works, alongside with the titlebars that are present, the window moves when I use the mouse to move it...

Thanks for the help about letting me know that OpenGL had to be installed, I owe you one...

Cheers (=
Dumdadum

Last edited by dumdadum; 11-11-2013 at 10:04 AM. Reason: I corrected myself
 
Old 11-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #20
dumdadum
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Distribution: Slackware 14.1
Posts: 200
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nh3xus View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I've seen the commit in the github repos.

Since I'm a -current user, I think it's just a matter of time before Pat ships it.

Of course building it is an option too.

I just lost hope in a bug fix for that since this bug was well known and never got really fixed.

In previous versions of xfwm4 you were able to enable the vsync option manually with the settings editor of Xfce.

But I had no joy on my laptop.

I guess I will give it a run on another box because I like compton and I don't plan to get rid of it now.

Compiz is really what I wanted to work, and it does. I didnt find anything about compton on slackbuilds.org and xfwm4 is also another workaround, but Emerald really does the job well.

How come you dont use Emerald?

Cheers,
Dumdadum
 
Old 11-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #21
Nh3xus
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2013
Location: France
Distribution: Slackware 14.1 32 bits
Posts: 86

Rep: Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdadum View Post
Compiz is really what I wanted to work, and it does. I didnt find anything about compton on slackbuilds.org and xfwm4 is also another workaround, but Emerald really does the job well.

How come you dont use Emerald?

Cheers,
Dumdadum
Like I said a few posts above, I don't use Compiz because it's not maintained anymore.

Even if you don't encounter any breakage at the moment, it might happen in the future.

Furthermore, the Compiz version available on SBo is the 0.8.x one, which is outdated.

This is the last release that is compatible with DE's like Xfce.

The new 0.9 branch has been heavily re-written and caused a lot of breakage with pretty much everything.

That's the branch used by Canonical for its awful Unity interface. So this explains quite a lot of things

Plus, on my machine, I wanted to get rid of the screen tearing without doing any compromise regarding the compositing.

Compiz didn't do the trick on my laptop, and I can't stand watching stuff like movies in those conditions.

Xfwm4 shipped with Xfce is NOT (afaik) based on OpenGL. So I had to find an OpenGL based compositor.

And then I came across the reddit page I just linked above.

The only "downside" with compton is that I miss the Compiz "exposé" feature.

Other than that, compton satisfies me.
 
Old 11-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #22
dumdadum
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Distribution: Slackware 14.1
Posts: 200
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nh3xus View Post
Like I said a few posts above, I don't use Compiz because it's not maintained anymore.

Even if you don't encounter any breakage at the moment, it might happen in the future.

Furthermore, the Compiz version available on SBo is the 0.8.x one, which is outdated.

This is the last release that is compatible with DE's like Xfce.

The new 0.9 branch has been heavily re-written and caused a lot of breakage with pretty much everything.

That's the branch used by Canonical for its awful Unity interface. So this explains quite a lot of things

Plus, on my machine, I wanted to get rid of the screen tearing without doing any compromise regarding the compositing.

Compiz didn't do the trick on my laptop, and I can't stand watching stuff like movies in those conditions.

Xfwm4 shipped with Xfce is NOT (afaik) based on OpenGL. So I had to find an OpenGL based compositor.

And then I came across the reddit page I just linked above.

The only "downside" with compton is that I miss the Compiz "exposé" feature.

Other than that, compton satisfies me.
LOL
Ok (=
10/4
Dumdadum
 
Old 11-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #23
grothen
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Posts: 20

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nh3xus View Post
Like I said a few posts above, I don't use Compiz because it's not maintained anymore.

Even if you don't encounter any breakage at the moment, it might happen in the future.

Furthermore, the Compiz version available on SBo is the 0.8.x one, which is outdated.

This is the last release that is compatible with DE's like Xfce.

The new 0.9 branch has been heavily re-written and caused a lot of breakage with pretty much everything.

That's the branch used by Canonical for its awful Unity interface. So this explains quite a lot of things

Plus, on my machine, I wanted to get rid of the screen tearing without doing any compromise regarding the compositing.

Compiz didn't do the trick on my laptop, and I can't stand watching stuff like movies in those conditions.

Xfwm4 shipped with Xfce is NOT (afaik) based on OpenGL. So I had to find an OpenGL based compositor.

And then I came across the reddit page I just linked above.

The only "downside" with compton is that I miss the Compiz "exposé" feature.

Other than that, compton satisfies me.
you can try https://code.google.com/p/skippy-xd/ allows to navigate with vim keys
 
Old 11-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #24
dumdadum
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Distribution: Slackware 14.1
Posts: 200
Blog Entries: 2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Talking solved

So to mark this one solved, all you need to do is install OpenGL and then Compiz. All available at slackbuilds.org.

Thanks to everyone who helped,
Dumdadum
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Compiz Window borders/titlebar nardz Linux - Desktop 5 11-22-2013 01:25 AM
compiz: window titlebar missing after monitor replacement Robert-C Debian 3 09-02-2009 03:18 PM
set titlebar height in Ubuntu 8.10 Gnome Compiz esteeven Linux - Desktop 1 03-04-2009 08:45 AM
Compiz Fusion Mozilla problem – no titlebar JerryP Linux - Software 8 03-05-2008 12:36 PM
How do I configure titlebar buttons in Compiz? JoeDuncan Linux - Desktop 1 11-25-2006 03:02 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration