LinuxQuestions.org
Did you know LQ has a Linux Hardware Compatibility List?
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-04-2009, 12:29 AM   #31
saulgoode
Member
 
Registered: May 2007
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 231

Rep: Reputation: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch7 View Post
I'm not sure what the warning is and I'm a bit worried about it.
It is just a warning that your man pages aren't compressed, thereby wasting a little bit of disk space. No real worry (but if you ever write a Slackbuild, you should go the extra mile and gzip your man pages).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch7 View Post
And for the symbolic links, I think I made the right choice and it was alright to remove the symbolic links correct?
You made the correct choice.
 
Old 11-04-2009, 01:45 AM   #32
Switch7
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 92

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by saulgoode View Post
It is just a warning that your man pages aren't compressed, thereby wasting a little bit of disk space. No real worry (but if you ever write a Slackbuild, you should go the extra mile and gzip your man pages).


You made the correct choice.
Thank you very much! Now that I overcame my biggest obstacle, slackware is defiantly going to be my main desktop distribution. I was still testing around to see if it was for me or not. Looks like I'll go subscribe to the Slackware CD/DVD now.
 
Old 11-04-2009, 03:06 AM   #33
Martinezio
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 191

Rep: Reputation: 32
Switch7: You have ommited one important thing - in the name of slackware package, You should set info about arch, to which is the package designed.
The name of package should be made with this schema: packagename-version-arch-build.txz
Name and version can contain multiple "-" signs, but two last sections must be only alphanumeric signs without extra "-" signs.

Regards
 
Old 11-04-2009, 04:04 AM   #34
Switch7
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 92

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinezio View Post
Switch7: You have ommited one important thing - in the name of slackware package, You should set info about arch, to which is the package designed.
The name of package should be made with this schema: packagename-version-arch-build.txz
Name and version can contain multiple "-" signs, but two last sections must be only alphanumeric signs without extra "-" signs.

Regards
libtorrent-0.12.5-x86_64-1.txz
libsigc++-2.2.4.2-x86_64-1.txz
rtorrent-0.8.5-x86_64-1.txz

Something like this?

I seen different numbers in the build number. Instead of -1, I seen something like -29 (ex: libtorrent-0.12.5-x86_64-29.txz) but that's only when the package is a bundle and I wouldn't need anything other than -1 for normal packages?

Last edited by Switch7; 11-04-2009 at 04:22 AM.
 
Old 11-04-2009, 04:39 AM   #35
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,233

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Name and version can contain multiple "-" signs
This is not completely true. The name may contain dashes (the "-" characters) but the version must not have any dashes! So, if a source package has a version of "1.2.3-4" your package version must be changed to something like "1.2.3_4" - Slackware usually replaces dashes in a VERSION with underscores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch7 View Post
libtorrent-0.12.5-x86_64-1.txz
libsigc++-2.2.4.2-x86_64-1.txz
rtorrent-0.8.5-x86_64-1.txz

Something like this?

I seen different numbers in the build number. Instead of -1, I seen something like -29 (ex: libtorrent-0.12.5-x86_64-29.txz) but that's only when the package is a bundle and I wouldn't need anything other than -1 for normal packages?
Perhaps you should read http://www.slackwiki.org/Writing_A_SlackBuild_Script

Eric
 
Old 11-04-2009, 04:57 AM   #36
Switch7
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Posts: 92

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
This is not completely true. The name may contain dashes (the "-" characters) but the version must not have any dashes! So, if a source package has a version of "1.2.3-4" your package version must be changed to something like "1.2.3_4" - Slackware usually replaces dashes in a VERSION with underscores.



Perhaps you should read http://www.slackwiki.org/Writing_A_SlackBuild_Script

Eric
Thank you. I never had any idea this was supposed to be the official way it's used in slackware. I always thought slackbuilds was just third party packages. I'll defiantly take a look here.
 
Old 11-04-2009, 05:08 AM   #37
Martinezio
Member
 
Registered: May 2009
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 191

Rep: Reputation: 32
Well, the slackbuild scripts are the official way to produce official packages Slackbuilds save time for future releases, and rebuilds.

And I appologize for my mistake. Eric has always right Only name of the package can contain multiple dashes.

Last edited by Martinezio; 11-04-2009 at 05:13 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DISCUSSION: Compiling Programs from Source jeremy LinuxAnswers Discussion 51 11-21-2005 04:35 AM
compiling programs from source Frank Leone Linux - Newbie 3 10-30-2005 01:47 AM
Any debian tool to help download missing dependencies when compiling from source? Akhran Debian 2 08-18-2005 04:26 PM
Compiling Programs from Source-help orisma Linux - Newbie 6 03-03-2005 07:57 AM
Compiling Source & Dependencies arpanet1969 Linux - Newbie 7 12-30-2004 07:24 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration