SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I have been having trouble on my Slack 12 box with streaming flash videos on Firefox. The symptoms are that the video is in general choppy. For instance: I will be watching "Chuck" on NBC rewind which is streamed via flash-player, and the video will go fine for a few seconds, stop, then go for a few more seconds, stop, &c. The sound is also choppy. This does not happen on my windows box.
glxgears gives me 260 frames per second, on a built-in graphics card.
Watching videos off my hard-drive work just fine, so it is obviously a problem with streaming.
260 fps is really slow (I get over 2000 FPS using my integrated video card) -- what is the output of
glxinfo | grep direct
I think you need to enable direct rendering (if you get an output of "direct rendering: No" then it's a dri problem). I don't have instructions to enable offhand -- it involves editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Search this forum for information.
What brand is your integrated graphics card?
There is probably something else at work here as well since audio is also choppy, but this could be a start. Some people get better internet connectivity after disabling ipv6.
My CPU is an Intel Pentium 4. It has plenty of throughput!
I think that it has something to do with the way that streaming is done with large files, since when I stream short videos off of u-tube, it works fine. I have only noticed the choppy-ness when I am streaming large files.
Doubt it's the internet conenction as he's got another box that works fine. It's possibly some funky NBC thing, I've noticed some flash sites perform much better then others (youtube is one that has always performed well for me).
What does your /etc/X11/xorg.conf setup look like? 200 fps is really low on glxgears.
I managed to solve this issue. I have Intel 915GM graphics.
The adobe 'Penguin.swf' blog is really the key. This forum wont let me post the URL because this is my first post. But you can Google it easily enough.
The flash player does the unbelievably brain dead thing of checking the glxinfo vendor strings to make sure they do *not* contain the string "SGI". Flash hardware acceleration will only be enabled if the vendor strings do not contain the string "SGI". Incredible, huh? I guess this is the kind of idiocy we've got to contend with in closed-source binary blobs.
The advice given in one of the comments actually worked for me. Specifically, use a hex editor (such as 'ghex') to alter these two binaries:
(or the actual binaries these files link to, if they are symbolc links. They were links on my system.)
They each contain one instance of "<null>SGI<null>" (plenty of the string "SGI" in other contexts, but ignore these). Change the single instance in each file to "<null>ATI<null>". Restart X, and you may just have hardware accellerated flash. It worked for me.
The strange thing is the developer of the Linux Flash plugin is also an ffmpeg developer. mplayer/ffplay uses about 1/10th the resources of the Adobe Flash plugin (on Linux at least), so you have to wonder why one is so efficient while the other is a sloth.