SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
This probably isn't slack-specific, but this sub-forum is like home, so I'll post here.
My primary banking page, which I've visited daily since forever, suddenly takes many minutes to load, and many minutes more per page.
I have googled, extensively, but I haven't come up with a solution. This behaviour is unique to a single PC - the other PCs in my home are unaffected.
I'm using FF 3.0.3; however, I've tried with 3.1, without success.
The problem occurs in safe-mode, under my wife's profile, with individual and all add-ons enabled and/or disabled, etc.
I've removed my profile, etc.
To the best of my memory, the only changes I've made that may affect FF are upgrading to Flash 10, and an upgrade to Foxmarks addon. I reverted (temporarily) to Flash 9, without success, and I disabled Foxmarks.
As I've said, the issue only occurs on a single PC (and, yes, I've rebooted the PC (damn, I had an uptime record going, too...)and I've rebooted the router.)
Just wanted to update that the issue has been rectified.
IOW - problem solved (even though I wasn't looking to solve this anymore...)
I setup another box with squid>privoxy and now all internet traffic travels through it.
And now the particular page loads normally.
So somehow, however the caching was done locally was affecting the speed of this particular page. I was running privoxy locally, but not squid. However, the page was loading brutally slow with everything turned off. So I'm still stumped as to the cause, but it no longer matters.