LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
2handband
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Alexandria, Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 809

Rep: Reputation: 96
Cannot access anything... please help!


I upgraded aaa_elflibs as per Eric's advice here:

http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/huge...-to-my-laptop/

Now I can't access anything... it boots into tty1 and won't mount any of my logical volumes! Can somebody please help?
 
Old 11-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Squall90
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Distribution: Currently several distros :S
Posts: 148

Rep: Reputation: 29
Any error messages?
 
Old 11-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
2handband
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Alexandria, Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 809

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 96
Unfortunately this damn thing boots too fast to make out very much, but I could see that it refused to mount the volume group that contains everything except the root directory and the /boot directory. Just looking at the stuff above the login prompt I have stuff such as:

Code:
cd: /var/log/setup/tmp: No such file or directory
Every time it tries to enter any directory you get a similar message.

This is arguably the worst balls-up I've had in five years of running Linux. Hope to god I'm not facing a reinstall...
 
Old 11-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Squall90
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Distribution: Currently several distros :S
Posts: 148

Rep: Reputation: 29
When you boot, you can press the "pause"-key to pause the output.
 
Old 11-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
2handband
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Alexandria, Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 809

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 96
Wow... doessn't pause it for very long, though, does it? One thing I got out of it this time: every time it tries to mount one of my LVM partitions it says that "the superblock could not be read or does not contain a correct ext2". Huh???
 
Old 11-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
Squall90
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Distribution: Currently several distros :S
Posts: 148

Rep: Reputation: 29
Was your kernel updated? Perhaps you have to rebuild your initrd? Or your have you checked the settings of your boot manager?
 
Old 11-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #7
2handband
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Alexandria, Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 809

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 96
I don't think the kernel was updated. I wouldn't have the first clue how to go about rebuilding initrd or messing with boot manager settings.

Just to clarify... I'd already upgraded my box, and everything worked except X. The above link suggested that the problem was that aaa_elflibs was blacklisted and therefore missed in the upgrades. So I upgraded that package only... and that's when the XXXX hit the fan.
 
Old 11-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
2handband
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Alexandria, Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 809

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 96
Did a little google searching, and then some poking around in what little filesystem I have left. Turns out I don't even have a /boot/initrd.gz file. I tried to view the initrd README in the /boot directory but of course I can't access vim... because my /usr partition is no longer mounted. AHHHHH!!!!!
 
Old 11-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
CincinnatiKid
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Distribution: Mageia-3
Posts: 399

Rep: Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handband View Post
Did a little google searching, and then some poking around in what little filesystem I have left. Turns out I don't even have a /boot/initrd.gz file. I tried to view the initrd README in the /boot directory but of course I can't access vim... because my /usr partition is no longer mounted. AHHHHH!!!!!
Why not use the slackware live cd to read the readme, and to build your initrd?
 
Old 11-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
2handband
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Alexandria, Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 809

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 96
Last I checked there wasn't a slackware live cd. If you mean the install CD I don't know whatever became of that... but I'm in the process of downloading another one right now. Because unless I can get this fixed in the next hour or so I'm fully expecting to have to reinstall the OS.
 
Old 11-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #11
volkerdi
Slackware Maintainer
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Location: Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware! :-)
Posts: 874

Rep: Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handband View Post
This is arguably the worst balls-up I've had in five years of running Linux. Hope to god I'm not facing a reinstall...
You're down in Alec? Worst case, you'll need to obtain enough beer to lure me there. ;-)
 
Old 11-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
2handband
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Alexandria, Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 809

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkerdi View Post
You're down in Alec? Worst case, you'll need to obtain enough beer to lure me there. ;-)


How much beer is that? If someone could save me from having to reinstall the OS and every single bit of extra software I've got on this thing the beer would definitely be on me...
 
Old 11-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #13
volkerdi
Slackware Maintainer
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Location: Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware! :-)
Posts: 874

Rep: Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handband View Post


How much beer is that? If someone could save me from having to reinstall the OS and every single bit of extra software I've got on this thing the beer would definitely be on me...
Hehe... not sure how much that would actually be. ;-)

It does sound like you have a fairly typical broken-initrd-failure, though, and once you get the kernel/initrd updated (and containing LVM support if you need that), things should mostly work for you. As far as aaa_elflibs, there is no way that should have caused the problem. Well, unless you installed the x86_64 aaa_elflibs on an i486 system, in which case all bets are off (but like most issues, there are ways to fix that too).

If your root partition is a regular partition, you can use the install disc to boot it. Try something like this on the boot: prompt:

huge.s rdinit= root=/dev/sda3 (or whatever) ro

Certainly if you can get logged into your system again that way, any repairs will be a lot easier than if you work off the installer's ramdisk.

Good luck!
 
Old 11-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #14
2handband
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2009
Location: Alexandria, Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 809

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkerdi View Post
Hehe... not sure how much that would actually be. ;-)

It does sound like you have a fairly typical broken-initrd-failure, though, and once you get the kernel/initrd updated (and containing LVM support if you need that), things should mostly work for you. As far as aaa_elflibs, there is no way that should have caused the problem. Well, unless you installed the x86_64 aaa_elflibs on an i486 system, in which case all bets are off (but like most issues, there are ways to fix that too).

If your root partition is a regular partition, you can use the install disc to boot it. Try something like this on the boot: prompt:

huge.s rdinit= root=/dev/sda3 (or whatever) ro

Certainly if you can get logged into your system again that way, any repairs will be a lot easier than if you work off the installer's ramdisk.

Good luck!
God no... it's a _64 package on a _64 system.

Anyway... I followed your instructions above, and I was able to log in. I'm not sure what to do now, however. How does one go about rebuilding one's initrd?
 
Old 11-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #15
volkerdi
Slackware Maintainer
 
Registered: Dec 2002
Location: Minnesota
Distribution: Slackware! :-)
Posts: 874

Rep: Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812Reputation: 1812
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handband View Post
God no... it's a _64 package on a _64 system.

Anyway... I followed your instructions above, and I was able to log in. I'm not sure what to do now, however. How does one go about rebuilding one's initrd?
Perhaps first things first... if you didn't have any idea how to make an initrd before, I'm going to step out on a limb and guess that you did not previously have one. So rather than consider the pros and cons of using an initrd versus using the huge kernel, probably we should start by getting you back where you were. So...

First, make sure that the new 2.6.35.7 kernel packages are installed, and make sure that /etc/lilo.conf is pointing to the new huge kernel in /boot (either by using the full filename, or by making sure if lilo.conf uses a symlink, that it points to the right kernel). Then run "lilo" as root, and you should be good to reboot without the disc.

Assuming that works, you can check out README.initrd in /usr/doc/mkinitrd[...] at your leisure.

Hope this helps.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unable to see shares on samba server - no authentication access desired (open access) neoelf Linux - Networking 1 06-14-2009 03:18 PM
How to access Access root(/) hard drive attached in Windows XP machine farrukhndm Linux - Software 2 07-29-2008 12:52 PM
Debian Woody: Can't access internet through router, but can access network computers marales314 Linux - Networking 3 06-09-2006 12:33 PM
WIFI WLAN / Cannot access internet but can access the router configuration page?SUSE thomas939 Linux - Wireless Networking 12 12-13-2005 10:28 AM
Samba access by Windows users locking out directory access with Konqueror harry_fine Suse/Novell 1 12-18-2004 05:33 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration