LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Best App for Making Videos (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/best-app-for-making-videos-4175441896/)

Mobile1 12-17-2012 10:28 PM

Best App for Making Videos
 
I'm wondering what most of you use to create great video's w/ audio...I can create awesome Podcast's with Audacity, but I'm looking for the best solution for making Video Presentations on Slackware 14.0.

I have great Video editing Software, but I'm looking for something to make movies if you will.

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks

kingbeowulf 12-18-2012 12:57 AM

it all depends. Webcam capture? DV/Firewire? I have a consumer level firewire DV camera. I usually use Kino/dvgrab to capture the DV files. I used to use Kino for simple editing (discontinued project), but now use OpenShot. In KDE, you might wnat to try Kdenlive (capture and nobnlinear editing). Another nonlinear editor is PiTiVi. All of these can output a variety of codecs via ffmpeg, etc.

Create DVDs? I've payed with DVDStyler, QDVDAuthor and Bombono DVD.

There are also a number of CLI tools. Check out a few on slackbuilds.org and see what fits your needs and workflow.

Mobile1 12-18-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingbeowulf (Post 4851461)
it all depends. Webcam capture?

Yes! I will be using the Webcam, but don't want to use the Mic right beside it : )

Quote:

DV/Firewire? I have a consumer level firewire DV camera. I usually use Kino/dvgrab to capture the DV files. I used to use Kino for simple editing (discontinued project), but now use OpenShot. In KDE, you might wnat to try Kdenlive (capture and nobnlinear editing). Another nonlinear editor is PiTiVi. All of these can output a variety of codecs via ffmpeg, etc.
I tried OpenShot but it didn't play well on my machine. I did install Kdenlive but that's more for editing, I want to produce video & audio not just edit it.

Quote:

Create DVDs? I've payed with DVDStyler, QDVDAuthor and Bombono DVD. There are also a number of CLI tools. Check out a few on slackbuilds.org and see what fits your needs and workflow.
I want to be able to record video via my Webcam in my Laptop, I have a USB Blue Yeti Mic which works great with Audacity. I have found that the condenser mic in the Laptop is hard to shutoff, so I tinker with a sound.conf file for more control.

kingbeowulf 12-18-2012 02:50 AM

you can try wxcam or guvcview to capture directly from a USB webcam. You can mute the laptop mic and record from the Yeti (I have one of those too), either via audacity and then mux it in later, or directly. guvcview uses ffmpeg and portaudio. I am not a fan or portaudio, but as i understand it, it will allow you to access/mix specific audio sources.

Another option is webcamstudio http://www.ws4gl.org/ which might just be what you are looking for.

As for command line: on mine, a simple Creative labs UVC webcam connected via USB:
Code:

mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:width=640:height=480:device=/dev/video0 -fps 15
shows the webcam output, and record direct to your hard drive (no audio):
Code:

mencoder tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:width=640:height=480:device=/dev/video0 -nosound -ovc lavc -o test.avi
Adjust the command line args as needed. You can also do this with ffmpeg, e.g. capture from webcam to hard drive and throw up a preview window.
Code:

ffmpeg -f video4linux2 -qscale 1 -r 25 -s 640x480 -i /dev/video0 -f avi - | tee test.avi | mplayer -cache 1024 -nosound -
mplayer/mencoder, ffmpeg have great gobs of options to fine tune video/audio formats and quality.

Enjoy.

Mobile1 12-18-2012 03:29 AM

Wow! Thanks, I'm tinkering with all those options, I'm obviously not as savvy as I should be but there are only so many hours in a day : )

Thank you so very much for your direction and help.

kikinovak 12-18-2012 05:58 AM

A professional client of mine (he makes documentary movies) has asked me to build him a Linux box with various video editing software. Now he has a Slackware desktop with Openshot, Kino and CeltX. So far, no complaints.

dugan 12-18-2012 09:32 AM

Blender for your special effects. Including compositing.

Handbrake to encode for web distribution.

Also, last time I playtested video editing software, Kdenlive was much better than OpenShot. It didn't crash (OpenShot did), it allowed the timeline to be zoomed to a much more precise level, and it showed audio waveforms (OpenShot didn't).

ahzthecat 12-18-2012 05:40 PM

I second what Dugan says about KdenLive. I've been using it for several years on Slackware and it has been rock solid. Openshot, while a little more new-user friendly, was crashy as all get out.

Yes Kdenlive. Yes.

kingbeowulf 12-18-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dugan (Post 4851915)
Blender for your special effects. Including compositing.

Handbrake to encode for web distribution.

Also, last time I playtested video editing software, Kdenlive was much better than OpenShot. It didn't crash (OpenShot did), it allowed the timeline to be zoomed to a much more precise level, and it showed audio waveforms (OpenShot didn't).

Blender is very handy, however, it has a very steep learning curve (at least for me!). Handbrake is ok, but if I need to use CLI I might as well use ffmpeg/transcode/mencoder directly. It does take a bit of fiddling to settle on good options... Any of the GUI non-linear video editors are easier to use, and some allow for some nifty effects. Except Cinelerra, it might just be me but that sucker is just plain cryptic...

I agree about OpenShot. Recent builds work better now but Kdenlive is handier - especially sine I can drag in videos directly from the camera. I'm just playing with it (and some others) since I have a box without KDE and KDE libs. AND ever since KDE 3.5.10 the "new" KDE has been driving me nuts.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 PM.