LinuxQuestions.org
Register a domain and help support LQ
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
firekage
Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Poland
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, Arch
Posts: 272

Rep: Reputation: 7
AVG antivirus, problem with installation


Guys, i need your help again.

I've tried to install AVG from their website. I untared it, than launched, installed and after that i have something like this:

Quote:
Installing 'avgd' service initscripts...
Automatic installation of initscripts for your platform/distribution is not supported.
Please, in directory according to your platform/distribution,
create symbolic link 'avgd' to initscript for AVG daemon
/opt/avg/av/etc/init.d/avgd.all.
Registering 'avgd' service to runlevels...
"Please register the 'avgd' service initscript for startup and runlevels."
Generating uninstall script...
Registering with license: LU2BB-SYAMX-CJTJ7-ARBXD-3BDP7-S3CZM
AVG command line controller
Copyright (c) 2011 AVG Technologies CZ
and i'm stuck. I understan that i need to create symlink, but i don't know for what AVG deamon, where is it, which it is. The symlink should be from /opt/avg/av/etc/init.d/avgd.all but to where?

Also, how to register avgd initscript for startup and runlevels?




I'd like to know more about Slackware, about installing from something other than Slackbuilds but it's too much for me. Please, help me.
 
Old 01-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
lukkon
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Slackware/Debian
Posts: 27

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
You can try install NOD32 for Linux:
http://www.eset.com/download/home/detail/family/71/
Download RPM and convert it using rpm2txz and than install with installpkg. I installed this without any problem some time ago.
 
Old 01-31-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
rkelsen
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 1,748

Rep: Reputation: 159Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by firekage View Post
I've tried to install AVG from their website.
Is this on a server?
 
Old 01-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
frankbell
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Debian, Mageia, Mint
Posts: 7,435

Rep: Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406
man avgctl should tell you what you need to know.
 
Old 02-01-2012, 03:57 AM   #5
firekage
Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Poland
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, Arch
Posts: 272

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelsen View Post
Is this on a server?

You can download it from provided link.
 
Old 02-01-2012, 04:01 AM   #6
firekage
Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Poland
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, Arch
Posts: 272

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
man avgctl should tell you what you need to know.
It's the funniest answer so far - didn't help. I've checked it but i'm not experineced with Linux, i've been learning it since april 2011. In man there is only info about how to use it, nothing more.

The main problem with people experineced in Linux is that answers just like that not only don't help but rather make people go away from great os like Linux and causes that people wouldn't like to know something different, better.

anyway, thank you.
 
Old 02-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
aocab
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Location: Heart of Texas
Distribution: Slackware-current
Posts: 138

Rep: Reputation: 30
As a test, I installed the program and configured it with the default options
(i.e. it runs as user root).

I did not create the symbolic link named avgd as there is already
an executable file named avgd in /opt/avg/av/bin/

To start/stop/restart the avgd daemon as root:
Code:
avgctl --start
Code:
avgctl --stop
Code:
avgctl --restart
To scan a folder as root once the avgd daemon is started:
Code:
avgscan /folder/to/scan
If you want the program to start when the operating system starts you could create
an executable file /etc/rc.d/rc.avgd to start/stop/restart the avgd daemon
(I used a copy of /etc/rc.d/rc.sshd as a template):
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Start/stop/restart avgd:

avgd_start() {
  avgctl --start
}

avgd_stop() {
  avgctl --stop
}

avgd_restart() {
  avgctl --restart
}

case "$1" in
'start')
  avgd_start
  ;;
'stop')
  avgd_stop
  ;;
'restart')
  avgd_restart
  ;;
*)
  echo "usage $0 start|stop|restart"
esac
Then add this snippet of code to the bottom of /etc/rc.d/rc.local
so avgd will run when the operating system starts up.
Code:
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.avgd ]; then
  /etc/rc.d/rc.avgd start
fi
You will also need to create an executable file /etc/rc.d/rc.local_shutdown and add this
snippet of code so the avgd daemon is shut down during shutdown. Otherwise the program's
lock file (/opt/avg/av/var/run/avgd.pid) gets left behind and it will not start on the next boot claiming that it is
already running.
Code:
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.avgd ]; then
  /etc/rc.d/rc.avgd stop
fi
Once all this is in place you could
start/stop/restart the avgd daemon as root:
Code:
/etc/rc.d/rc.avgd start
Code:
/etc/rc.d/rc.avgd stop
Code:
/etc/rc.d/rc.avgd restart
To scan a folder as root once the avgd daemon is started:
Code:
avgscan /folder/to/scan
It appears that it would be easier to just start the avgd daemon as root
and then scan whatever folders you need to scan and then stop the avgd daemon.
Code:
avgctl --start
avgscan /folder/to/scan
avgctl --stop
I did not look into any of the other options for avg.

HTH
Cheers

Last edited by aocab; 02-01-2012 at 12:32 PM.
 
Old 02-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
rkelsen
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 1,748

Rep: Reputation: 159Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by firekage View Post
You can download it from provided link.
no no. I'm asking if you're installing it on a server.
 
Old 02-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
frankbell
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Debian, Mageia, Mint
Posts: 7,435

Rep: Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406
man avgctl in a terminal opens the "man" (manual) page for the avgctl program (avg control). It explains how to use the avgctl command to start and stop AVG, to set it to start at boot, to run a scan, and so on.

It can be a big help to learn how to use the man pages. They provide a lot more information than help files (avgctl --help, for example).

Granted, a lot of them are written from the viewpoint of engineers ("this is how X works," "this is how Y works") rather than from the standpoint of users ("this is how to accomplish X," "this is how to accomplish Y"), and they mostly lack one of the most useful things new users can have: examples. Nevertheless, that are a source for help that is always right there at the command line.
 
Old 02-02-2012, 04:32 AM   #10
firekage
Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Poland
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, Arch
Posts: 272

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by aocab View Post
As a test, I installed the program and configured it with the default options
(i.e. it runs as user root).

I did not create the symbolic link named avgd as there is already
an executable file named avgd in /opt/avg/av/bin/

To start/stop/restart the avgd daemon as root:
Code:
avgctl --start
Code:
avgctl --stop
Code:
avgctl --restart
To scan a folder as root once the avgd daemon is started:
Code:
avgscan /folder/to/scan
If you want the program to start when the operating system starts you could create
an executable file /etc/rc.d/rc.avgd to start/stop/restart the avgd daemon
(I used a copy of /etc/rc.d/rc.sshd as a template):
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Start/stop/restart avgd:

avgd_start() {
  avgctl --start
}

avgd_stop() {
  avgctl --stop
}

avgd_restart() {
  avgctl --restart
}

case "$1" in
'start')
  avgd_start
  ;;
'stop')
  avgd_stop
  ;;
'restart')
  avgd_restart
  ;;
*)
  echo "usage $0 start|stop|restart"
esac
Then add this snippet of code to the bottom of /etc/rc.d/rc.local
so avgd will run when the operating system starts up.
Code:
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.avgd ]; then
  /etc/rc.d/rc.avgd start
fi
You will also need to create an executable file /etc/rc.d/rc.local_shutdown and add this
snippet of code so the avgd daemon is shut down during shutdown. Otherwise the program's
lock file (/opt/avg/av/var/run/avgd.pid) gets left behind and it will not start on the next boot claiming that it is
already running.
Code:
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.avgd ]; then
  /etc/rc.d/rc.avgd stop
fi
Once all this is in place you could
start/stop/restart the avgd daemon as root:
Code:
/etc/rc.d/rc.avgd start
Code:
/etc/rc.d/rc.avgd stop
Code:
/etc/rc.d/rc.avgd restart
To scan a folder as root once the avgd daemon is started:
Code:
avgscan /folder/to/scan
It appears that it would be easier to just start the avgd daemon as root
and then scan whatever folders you need to scan and then stop the avgd daemon.
Code:
avgctl --start
avgscan /folder/to/scan
avgctl --stop
I did not look into any of the other options for avg.

HTH
Cheers
Thank you very much. I see that it is something far advanced that i thought. In my country there is proverb like: it's high school of driving, thank you.

---------- Post added 02-02-12 at 11:33 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelsen View Post
no no. I'm asking if you're installing it on a server.
My mistake. No, on my home computer.
 
Old 02-02-2012, 04:34 AM   #11
firekage
Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Poland
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, Arch
Posts: 272

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
man avgctl in a terminal opens the "man" (manual) page for the avgctl program (avg control). It explains how to use the avgctl command to start and stop AVG, to set it to start at boot, to run a scan, and so on.

It can be a big help to learn how to use the man pages. They provide a lot more information than help files (avgctl --help, for example).

Granted, a lot of them are written from the viewpoint of engineers ("this is how X works," "this is how Y works") rather than from the standpoint of users ("this is how to accomplish X," "this is how to accomplish Y"), and they mostly lack one of the most useful things new users can have: examples. Nevertheless, that are a source for help that is always right there at the command line.
No, no, it is not that problem. I know that in man they show how to use, but i dont understand part about creating symlink and so on, that was my problem.



Thank you for your answers. Much obliged.
 
Old 02-02-2012, 04:50 AM   #12
firekage
Member
 
Registered: May 2011
Location: Poland
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, Arch
Posts: 272

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by aocab View Post
If you want the program to start when the operating system starts you could create
an executable file /etc/rc.d/rc.avgd to start/stop/restart the avgd daemon
(I used a copy of /etc/rc.d/rc.sshd as a template):
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Start/stop/restart avgd:

avgd_start() {
  avgctl --start
}

avgd_stop() {
  avgctl --stop
}

avgd_restart() {
  avgctl --restart
}

case "$1" in
'start')
  avgd_start
  ;;
'stop')
  avgd_stop
  ;;
'restart')
  avgd_restart
  ;;
*)
  echo "usage $0 start|stop|restart"
esac
So, i can paste this to a created file?

Quote:
Then add this snippet of code to the bottom of /etc/rc.d/rc.local
so avgd will run when the operating system starts up.
Code:
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.avgd ]; then
  /etc/rc.d/rc.avgd start
fi
Put this in created rc.avgd?

Quote:
You will also need to create an executable file /etc/rc.d/rc.local_shutdown and add this
snippet of code so the avgd daemon is shut down during shutdown. Otherwise the program's
lock file (/opt/avg/av/var/run/avgd.pid) gets left behind and it will not start on the next boot claiming that it is
already running.
Code:
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.avgd ]; then
  /etc/rc.d/rc.avgd stop
fi
Again, can i copy it to a created file?





Thank you very much. I tried only to install it with standard options (i wanted to run under user, but when i leaved is as a root it works right now, i can scan from command line) - only gui and i would be happy


Edit - strange thing. After reboot and launchinghave outputs:

Code:
root@darkstar:/home/firekage# avgscan /home/firekage/
AVG command line Anti-Virus scanner
Copyright (c) 2011 AVG Technologies CZ

Error: Component connection is unavailable.
 avgd is not running or is not yet fully initialized.
and
Code:
root@darkstar:/home/firekage# avgctl --start
AVG command line controller
Copyright (c) 2011 AVG Technologies CZ

Starting avgd
Operation failed. Pid file exists. Another AVG already running.
Edit - in pkgtool there is no avg package! Don't know why.

Edit 2 - it works again. I had to remove avgd.pid. Strange. AVG team says that it is removed during each bootup.

Last edited by firekage; 02-02-2012 at 12:32 PM.
 
Old 02-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #13
aocab
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2009
Location: Heart of Texas
Distribution: Slackware-current
Posts: 138

Rep: Reputation: 30
create an executable file named rc.avgd in /etc/rc.d/
(you can copy and paste the following):
Code:
#!/bin/sh
# Start/stop/restart avgd:

avgd_start() {
  avgctl --start
}

avgd_stop() {
  avgctl --stop
}

avgd_restart() {
  avgctl --restart
}

case "$1" in
'start')
  avgd_start
  ;;
'stop')
  avgd_stop
  ;;
'restart')
  avgd_restart
  ;;
*)
  echo "usage $0 start|stop|restart"
esac
add the following to the bottom of /etc/rc.d/rc.local
(this will run rc.avgd with the start option so that the
avgd daemon gets started when the system boots up):
Code:
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.avgd ]; then
  /etc/rc.d/rc.avgd start
fi
create an executable file named rc.local_shutdown in /etc/rc.d/ and add the following
This will shutdown the avgd daemon when the system shuts down.
(you can copy and paste the following):
Code:
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.avgd ]; then
  /etc/rc.d/rc.avgd stop
fi
If the avgd daemon is not shut down the program's lock file (/opt/avg/av/var/run/avgd.pid)
gets left behind and it will not start on the next boot claiming that it is already running.

There is a way to get avg to scan files on-access but I have not figured that out yet.
As for the GUI...one of the announcements on the avg website mentions that the program
does have a GUI interface but looking through the forums I came across several posts
where it is mentioned that there is no GUI packaged with avg for linux.

I did come across a youtube video where someone was using a GUI interface to the avgd
daemon using some python scripts but the scripts are no longer available for download.

HTH
Cheers

On this page there are several links explaining how to enable
on-access scanning but it is for an older version of avg.
I'm not sure if the information applies to the newer versions of avg.

(faq 1749, 1752, and 1753)
http://www.avg.com/ww-en/faq.pnuid-1253866647

Last edited by aocab; 02-02-2012 at 01:42 PM.
 
Old 02-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
rkelsen
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 1,748

Rep: Reputation: 159Reputation: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by firekage View Post
My mistake. No, on my home computer.
Why?

Set up a firewall and be done with it. I've been using Linux on my home desktop since 1999, on a machine which is permanently connected to the internet through a cable modem (without any AV software installed, I might add), and I've never seen a virus.

Don't get me wrong, there are many viruses for Linux... BUT, all of the self-propagating viruses and worms attack services like BIND, Apache or Sendmail, and require these services to self-propagate.

None of these types of services are required to run a desktop, even if you want file & print sharing on a home network.

If you're running Linux on a desktop and have switched off all of the outward facing services which you don't need, the simple fact is that there can never be a Linux virus which comes to you via email and sends itself out to all of your friends before formatting your hard drive. Such a thing does not (and cannot) exist.

For a desktop, I think installing AV software on Linux is a waste of time, effort and money.

Disable services. Be smart with your downloads. Check md5sums. Set up a firewall. You can test firewalls with ShieldsUp at http://www.grc.com (or similar... that's one that I use and like). According to ShieldsUp, the internet can't see me... and they can't rootkit what they can't see.

Last edited by rkelsen; 02-02-2012 at 05:36 PM.
 
Old 02-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #15
frankbell
Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Debian, Mageia, Mint
Posts: 7,435

Rep: Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406Reputation: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by aocab View Post
If the avgd daemon is not shut down the program's lock file (/opt/avg/av/var/run/avgd.pid)
gets left behind and it will not start on the next boot claiming that it is already running.
Odd. I have run AVG for Linux on several machines (I have it on two now) and never encountered this. I have found it to be a quite unobstrusive program.

I know that many persons do not run an anti-virus program on Linux and they have good reasons. Maybe I'm compulsive, but I believe in taking no chances.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to update AVG antivirus pnoise Linux - Software 1 01-11-2009 11:08 PM
Avg antivirus linux Fred Caro Linux - Newbie 8 12-08-2007 04:20 PM
avg antivirus installed, but invisible!? ungua Suse/Novell 2 01-28-2007 07:10 AM
Antivirus AVG Free theolddrummer Linux - Software 2 04-18-2006 09:20 PM
Uninstalling AVG Antivirus boechem Linux - Software 1 06-09-2005 02:15 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:48 AM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration