LinuxQuestions.org
Visit the LQ Articles and Editorials section
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2011, 02:23 AM   #1
andrew.46
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 782

Rep: Reputation: 142Reputation: 142
Audiophiles: aoTuV and Slackware


I am not sure if anybody will be interested but those audiophiles who are keen on the best ogg files might be interested in the small modifications to the stock 13.37 slackbuild and large patch for libvorbis 1.3.2 and aoTuV beta 6.03 that I have placed here:

http://www.andrews-corner.org/slackb...bvorbis_aoTuV/

Obviously this replaces the slackware libvorbus package so just be aware of that! Works well against the git FFmpeg and vlc and I have had no problems with other media applications although I would be very interested to hear of any issues.
 
Old 07-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
disturbed1
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,133
Blog Entries: 6

Rep: Reputation: 223Reputation: 223Reputation: 223
Upstream vorbis already includes most of the aoTuV changes. aoTuV is better at low bitrate encodes, little to no difference at higher bitrates.
http://wiki.xiph.org/Vorbis_Encoders
 
Old 07-11-2011, 12:14 AM   #3
cascade9
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2011
Location: Brisneyland
Distribution: Debian, aptosid
Posts: 3,718

Rep: Reputation: 906Reputation: 906Reputation: 906Reputation: 906Reputation: 906Reputation: 906Reputation: 906Reputation: 906
Wouldnt audiophiles have moved on to a lossless codec years ago?
 
Old 07-11-2011, 06:27 AM   #4
andrew.46
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 782

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 142Reputation: 142
I am hoping that at least a few people find this useful
 
Old 07-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
disturbed1
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,133
Blog Entries: 6

Rep: Reputation: 223Reputation: 223Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
I am hoping that at least a few people find this useful
I sure did
Even though I did not say so in my first post, I find aoTuV's enhancements great for low bit rate encodings. I tend to use these lower bitrates for my media player. Allows me to stuff 2x the songs on the smallish 1GiB storage.

Though for my personal music collection, I use flac for backup and archival, then oggvorbis at q7. I find it difficult to hear a difference between q7 and flac on most recordings. At q5, I find differences often. Perhaps my low quality speakers, sound card, or ears () aid in the detection.

For those that don't know what aoTuV is http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=AoTuV
 
Old 07-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
tuxrules
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Distribution: Slackware64 -current
Posts: 1,143

Rep: Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
I am not sure if anybody will be interested but those audiophiles who are keen on the best ogg files might be interested in the small modifications to the stock 13.37 slackbuild and large patch for libvorbis 1.3.2 and aoTuV beta 6.03 that I have placed here:

http://www.andrews-corner.org/slackb...bvorbis_aoTuV/

Obviously this replaces the slackware libvorbus package so just be aware of that! Works well against the git FFmpeg and vlc and I have had no problems with other media applications although I would be very interested to hear of any issues.
Thanks! I'm trying this out right now and will post back if I have issues.
 
Old 12-31-2012, 02:23 AM   #7
andrew.46
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 782

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 142Reputation: 142
Finally organised myself to redo the patch + slackbuild for Slackware 14 (-current) and libvorbis 1.3.3. Seems to be working well enough on my system, good if somebody else can test it as well?

http://www.andrews-corner.org/slackb...bvorbis_aoTuV/

A bit more controversial as the aoTuV work was designed against 1.3.2 and 1.3.3 has a few bugfixes....

Last edited by andrew.46; 12-31-2012 at 03:24 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:35 AM   #8
andrew.46
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 782

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 142Reputation: 142
And updated again for libvorbis 1.3.5 and Slackware 14.2 Beta 2
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:25 AM   #9
franzen
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 118

Rep: Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
And updated again for libvorbis 1.3.5 and Slackware 14.2 Beta 2
Also from Xiph, opus is superior, i assume.
 
Old 02-13-2016, 02:32 AM   #10
andrew.46
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 782

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 142Reputation: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzen View Post
Also from Xiph, opus is superior, i assume.
I suspect that Opus has a slightly different target audio (streaming music, speech as well as general usage) as well as massively less market penetration that Ogg Vorbis. But I would be the first to agree that there are simply too many audio codecs around...
 
Old 02-13-2016, 05:58 AM   #11
franzen
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 118

Rep: Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
I suspect that Opus has a slightly different target audio (streaming music, speech as well as general usage) as well as massively less market penetration that Ogg Vorbis. But I would be the first to agree that there are simply too many audio codecs around...
Ogg may be still more wide spreaded, but i won't stick to it, as opus is better(for my ears) also for cd-archiving than ogg. Every recent Android-Phone/Tablet has opus-support, all vids on youtube(webm) have an opus-audiotrack ...
 
Old 02-13-2016, 07:51 AM   #12
GazL
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Posts: 3,956
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1360Reputation: 1360Reputation: 1360Reputation: 1360Reputation: 1360Reputation: 1360Reputation: 1360Reputation: 1360Reputation: 1360Reputation: 1360
Thing that concerns me about Opus is the lack of 44,100Hz (CD-Audio) samplerate support without resampling to 48kHz. Resampling is usually very bad for quality. Whether that matters as much in what is admittedly a lossy format is worth consideration.

I've just built and installed opus/opusfile/opus-tools packages, so I might do some experimenting.


BTW, only 500K of packages, BSD licensed and trivial to build. Is it worth adding them to stock Slackware?
 
Old 02-13-2016, 09:37 AM   #13
franzen
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 118

Rep: Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazL View Post
Thing that concerns me about Opus is the lack of 44,100Hz (CD-Audio) samplerate support without resampling to 48kHz. Resampling is usually very bad for quality. Whether that matters as much in what is admittedly a lossy format is worth consideration.
If i get this discussion right, there is no drawback with the samplerate.

Quote:
BTW, only 500K of packages, BSD licensed and trivial to build. Is it worth adding them to stock Slackware?
I would like that. To have real benefit from it, progs like audacious/mplayer/xine would need to be compiled against a libopus-enabled ffmpeg. For some reason, ffmpeg is not shipped as separately package.
 
Old 02-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #14
GazL
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Posts: 3,956
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 1360Reputation: 1360Reputation: 1360Reputation: 1360Reputation: 1360Reputation: 1360Reputation: 1360Reputation: 1360Reputation: 1360Reputation: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by franzen View Post
If i get this discussion right, there is no drawback with the samplerate.
Have a read of the 'sox' manpage, specifically the bit about the 'rate' effect and resampling, note the stuff about pre/post-echo. In short, you can't convert a 44,100Hz sample to 48000Hz without introducing artifacts. But as I said, its a lossy format anyway, so you're going to get artifacts anyway, and for sources that are already at 48K such as DVD resampling isn't going to be needed anyway.

Another interesting consideration which the Xiph guys mention on their faq is that some hardware isn't very good at doing 44,100hz anyway and so you may get better results at your earbuds with 48000.


As for ffmpeg, I suspect Pat doesn't include it because of patent issues. He'd have to disable so much stuff that you wouldn't want to use it in that state anyway. Better to leave people to build it themselves and choose which codecs they want it to support.

P.S. I've only tried listening to opus on some crappy earbuds plugged into an even crappier AC97 based motherboard that picks up all manner of system noises, so its not an ideal platform from which to form an opinion, but what I have heard seemed at least "reasonable", especially at lower bit rates.

Last edited by GazL; 02-13-2016 at 09:54 AM.
 
Old 02-14-2016, 02:12 AM   #15
franzen
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2012
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 118

Rep: Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazL View Post
In short, you can't convert a 44,100Hz sample to 48000Hz without introducing artifacts. But as I said, its a lossy format anyway, so you're going to get artifacts anyway, and for sources that are already at 48K such as DVD resampling isn't going to be needed anyway.
There is no quality-loss because of resampling in opus, in the xiph mailinglist link above is statet
Quote:
Opus files don't have a sampling rate anymore; the internal
representation is most efficiently decoded to 48kHz.

The metadata records the original sampling rate which make it possible
to decode to a file with exactly as many samples as the original
This is not the same as upsampling and downsampling again.

Quote:
Another interesting consideration which the Xiph guys mention on their faq is that some hardware isn't very good at doing 44,100hz anyway and so you may get better results at your earbuds with 48000.
Most soundcards i know are only capable doing 48hz, not 44,100hz. But that's not of interrest for a encoder.

Quote:
As for ffmpeg, I suspect Pat doesn't include it because of patent issues. He'd have to disable so much stuff that you wouldn't want to use it in that state anyway. Better to leave people to build it themselves and choose which codecs they want it to support.
ffmpeg without patents-issues/less features is shipped already embedded in Mplayer/Xine.
With the same configure-options, ffmpeg could also be shipped as singel package.
I asked about it here
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NDISwrapper works for Slackware 13.0 x86 but not Slackware 13.0 x64 - Belkin F5D8053 thewizkid Slackware 0 01-14-2010 06:18 AM
LXer: Making Slackware and Slackware Derivative Linux Distros Speak Your Language LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 01-29-2009 12:30 AM
About Slackware 9.1 boot disk?? ftp://ftp.kpn.be/pub/linux/slackware/slackware-9.1-is AL3OMDAH Slackware 4 04-18-2007 09:54 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration