SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
When I listen to audio on the web the audio has little silent gaps in it. Maybe ten gaps per second. The audio that does get played, gets played at twice the normal speed. It sounds like a chipmunk singing through a fan. The problem occurs with both Firefox and Opera. In contrast, I can play MP3s and wave files just fine.
Does anyone know how I might fix this problem? I have beta drivers from ALSA, but I'm not convinced that that is the problem.
Distribution: Slackware 10.0, 10.1, 11. and now 12!
I don't think it's just about plug-ins.
I have Slackware 11.0 and the version of KDE that came with it.
I simply ran through the standard installation for Slackware 11 and when I ran "startx" to start KDE, I heard the sound "stuttering", like you..
I hd launched my "startx" from the first console, so I got back to that console by hitting Alt|Ctrl|1
and there I saw a whole lot of messages such as:
>fifo-audio-out blocked for more than 115 msec
>1024 blocks discarded
I subsequently found that ANY sound launched by KDE had that problem. The I tried playing music with Noatun
and it also had the same problem.
However when I tried playing mp3 files with Amarok, the sound was perfect.
If you want to see the problem fixed I think you have to look in the KDE bugzilla.