LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices



Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2012, 04:24 AM   #106
timsoft
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: scotland
Distribution: slackware 13.1,13.37,14.0,14.1 64 and 32bit and arm
Posts: 121

Rep: Reputation: 18

thanks ponce. I'll give it a go. if it works just fine that will be one less step for the end user to take :-)
I may be a little slow as it is the 3.2.27 kernel, and i already have the 3.6.1 installed, so I might start fresh on a new sdcard which will take me a few days. i'll edit this post with the result.
edit: well, now you have updated the 3.6.1 to 3.6.6 I think I'll try that one first :-)
edit2: there seems to be a problem in the installer image - mount.cifs is not present so you cannot install from samba file server.
I have a separate problem with my monitor and hdmi where the screen blanks, which makes it very hard to do the install. If only the raspberrypi had a vga socket. :-(
edit3: the system boots as far as showing a raspberry icon, and then just hangs. I'll try your 3.2.27 installer and see how that goes instead

comment. the fat partition with the 3.6.6 installer was way too small. I had to resize it before I could install the kernel boot package, because it was full.

Last edited by timsoft; 11-23-2012 at 05:14 PM.
 
Click here to see the post LQ members have rated as the most helpful post in this thread.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #107
ponce
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Pisa, Italy
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 2,498

Rep: Reputation: 912Reputation: 912Reputation: 912Reputation: 912Reputation: 912Reputation: 912Reputation: 912Reputation: 912
I just updated the 3.6.y stuff (now the kernel is 3.6.6 configured with extra modules), also the firmware and the userland libraries from the "next" branch

http://ponce.cc/slackware/slackwarea.../raspi-extras/

I'm testing it now running kernel and firmware on an unit and doing a fresh install of slackwarearm-14.0 on a 16 Gb SD card mounted on another unit: formatting the root filesystem (15 Gb) during the installation is taking hours (it's normal), but it seems to work fine.

EDIT: I'm installing the packages now (via NFS).
EDIT2: Installation finished successfully, rebooted and started xfce, razorqt and lxde (the fastest and less resource hungry of the three) on it.

Last edited by ponce; 11-21-2012 at 02:08 AM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #108
AlvaroG
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Location: Canelones, Uruguay
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 128

Rep: Reputation: 31
Hi All,
I'm rebuilding my RaspberryPi, and I want to have the root fs on an external disk (via USB). I wrote the SlackwareARM installer image to the SD card, copied the SlackwareARM tree to my disk, and installed.
During the installation, I selected the partitions in the disk as my root and swap filesystems.

The installer even wrote the right root fs option to the cmdline.txt file (although I made an XFS filesystem but the rootfs option was still set to ext4), but the system is not booting.

When I turn the Pi on, it says "Waiting on root fs /dev/sda1", and I can see USB-related messages in the console, telling me that the drive is recognized. But at the same time, it looks like the partitions on the external drive are not being read, because the booting process stops at that point. If I disconnect & connect again, I can see the messages telling me about it, so the OS is not hung.

Any way I can debug this? I assume I don't have logs, given that the root fs is not mounted at that point. I read something similar in the RPi forums, but the person asking there had no replies.
I guess I could install in a different way and only move certain directories to the disk, and mount them later in the boot process.


Regards.
 
Old 12-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #109
justwantin
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Distribution: Slackware, Slackware ARM, Salix and Porteus
Posts: 568

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
Installation finished successfully, rebooted and started xfce, razorqt and lxde (the fastest and less resource hungry of the three) on it.
Hey Ponce,
May I ask what memory split you used?
 
Old 12-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #110
ponce
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Pisa, Italy
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 2,498

Rep: Reputation: 912Reputation: 912Reputation: 912Reputation: 912Reputation: 912Reputation: 912Reputation: 912Reputation: 912
I followed the advice in the official wiki and set gpu_mem=16 in /boot/config.txt leaving the maximum memory available for the operating system (240Mb on the 256Mb models)

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooti...U_memory_split

but if you want to try 3d apps or accelerated video playback you are better off with 64 or 128 instead of 16 (but you will have less memory available for your apps).

today I updated again the prebuilt stuff

http://ponce.cc/slackware/slackwarea.../raspi-extras/

P.S. I discovered (through my friend Reverend Slitta, I use FB once in a while) that The Man himself used it to install his own device

Last edited by ponce; 12-04-2012 at 11:20 AM.
 
Old 12-05-2012, 03:15 AM   #111
justwantin
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Distribution: Slackware, Slackware ARM, Salix and Porteus
Posts: 568

Rep: Reputation: 45
Thanks, just wondering, I've used 68 and an even split
Quote:
The Man himself used it to install his own device
Its Nice to know its not just a passing fancy :^)
 
Old 12-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #112
dlachausse
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: May 2012
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 28

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I just wanted to say thanks Ponce, your installer worked perfectly last night!

Also, a tip for anyone who stumbles upon this thread in the future, probably the easiest way of providing an installation source for the Slackware installer is to rsync a local mirror to your computer and then run "python -m SimpleHTTPServer" in the root directory of your local mirror. This loads up a simple no frills HTTP server on port 8000 that you can use to install Slackware. You simply tell the installer to use "YOUR.IP.ADD.RESS:8000" and you're golden.
 
Old 12-06-2012, 04:36 AM   #113
drmozes
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Apr 2008
Location: Surrey, England
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 178

Rep: Reputation: 145Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlachausse View Post
[..]"python -m SimpleHTTPServer" [..]
That's a great tip - thanks. I've added that to the docs in -current that I'll push out in the next batch.
 
Old 12-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #114
AlvaroG
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Location: Canelones, Uruguay
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 128

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroG View Post
When I turn the Pi on, it says "Waiting on root fs /dev/sda1", and I can see USB-related messages in the console, telling me that the drive is recognized. But at the same time, it looks like the partitions on the external drive are not being read, because the booting process stops at that point. If I disconnect & connect again, I can see the messages telling me about it, so the OS is not hung.
I have discovered a new thing (that I should have tried before): If I use a pendrive instead of my SATA adapter (external HD) then the partitions are immediately recognized. May this be an issue of drivers? maybe the way the partitions are layed out on the disk? I know sometimes the system takes relatively long time to mount partitions on an external HD, but I waited for around 15 minutes and the partitions were not mounted. I tried several adapters and I get the same problem with all of them.

Any suggestions?


Regards.
 
Old 12-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #115
piratesmack
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2009
Distribution: Slackware, Arch
Posts: 518

Rep: Reputation: 133Reputation: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroG View Post
I have discovered a new thing (that I should have tried before): If I use a pendrive instead of my SATA adapter (external HD) then the partitions are immediately recognized. May this be an issue of drivers? maybe the way the partitions are layed out on the disk? I know sometimes the system takes relatively long time to mount partitions on an external HD, but I waited for around 15 minutes and the partitions were not mounted. I tried several adapters and I get the same problem with all of them.

Any suggestions?


Regards.
Does the external hd have its own power supply? (I'm not even sure if they make SATA to USB adapters without their own power supplies)

The R-Pi's USB ports don't provide enough power for my external hd (which doesn't have its own power supply), so I need a powered USB hub to use it.
 
Old 12-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #116
AlvaroG
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Location: Canelones, Uruguay
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 128

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesmack View Post
Does the external hd have its own power supply? (I'm not even sure if they make SATA to USB adapters without their own power supplies)
Well, I did some more testing with adapters borrowed from friends. All of them have their own power supply, as I'm using a 3.5" HD.

-> Adapter 1 (Maxtor OneTouch) doesn't boot. Correctly identified after the system is up.
-> Adapter 2 (mine, generic, no brand) Doesn't work. I think this one might even be dangerous to the Pi, because the Pi partially turns on (green led on, but not booting) when I plug it into the Pi's USB port. Also correctly identified and usable after the system is up.
-> Adapter 3 (Orico, SATA to eSATA/USB) boots OK.

I have one more to test, that eventually I could swap with mine. But it seems to be a matter of adapter quality.
I'm reinstalling the OS anyway because I formatted the drive as XFS and I think only EXT4 is supported (boot failed with Adapter 3 after loading the partitions).
Also, I don't know if it can be part of the problem, but as I created the swap partition first at the end of the disk, cfdisk put sda2 before sda1 in the disk partition table, and I want to change that as well.
 
Old 12-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #117
justwantin
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Distribution: Slackware, Slackware ARM, Salix and Porteus
Posts: 568

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
I think this one might even be dangerous to the Pi, because the Pi partially turns on (green led on, but not booting) when I plug it into the Pi's USB port.
Be careful not to deliver power into your Pi via the data usb connection. Power into my 1st Pi via a usb data cable from a powered usb hub fried it.
 
Old 12-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #118
manwichmakesameal
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 800

Rep: Reputation: 100Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsoft View Post
edit3: the system boots as far as showing a raspberry icon, and then just hangs. I'll try your 3.2.27 installer and see how that goes instead
Hey timsoft, did you ever resolve this? I have the same problem with the installer img from Dec. 6.
 
Old 12-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #119
AlvaroG
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2009
Location: Canelones, Uruguay
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 128

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwantin View Post
Be careful not to deliver power into your Pi via the data usb connection. Power into my 1st Pi via a usb data cable from a powered usb hub fried it.
I ended up grabbing a cutter and removing the path from the PCB to the VCC pin of the USB port (on the adapter, not the Pi, of course). No damages to the data paths, and no more +5V from the Pi. I wonder what the hell was the chinese guy that designed it thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwichmakesameal View Post
Hey timsoft, did you ever resolve this? I have the same problem with the installer img from Dec. 6.
I had the same issue, and I think it is related to the console argument on cmdline.txt. The default provided by the installer didn't work for me, but I was able to see the output again once I changed it to tty1.

Last edited by AlvaroG; 12-15-2012 at 11:04 AM.
 
Old 12-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #120
manwichmakesameal
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 800

Rep: Reputation: 100Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroG View Post
I had the same issue, and I think it is related to the console argument on cmdline.txt. The default provided by the installer didn't work for me, but I was able to see the output again once I changed it to tty1.
Thanks AlvaroG, worked like a charm.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raspberry Pi project Dutch Master Linux - General 12 08-05-2012 07:48 AM
[SOLVED] VLC on ARMEDSlack compile fails ryerke Slackware 6 10-14-2011 12:24 PM
armedslack-13.37 - can't run any KDE apps? ahmadj Slackware 4 08-26-2011 09:09 AM
is it possible to install armedslack on a icy box IB-NAS6210 gtludwig Slackware 5 05-19-2011 10:15 PM
armedslack 13.37 tmfizzle Slackware 3 05-17-2011 10:56 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration