LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   amarok and ipod (http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/amarok-and-ipod-496597/)

jumapeg 10-29-2006 07:22 AM

amarok and ipod [solved]
 
Hello, I'm running Slackware 11 with recompiled 2.6.17 "huge26" kernel (ACPI support)

I mounted my ipod successfully. I also added it to Amarok media devices so Amarok recognize my iPod, I can browse the music, I can see my playlists...but I can't play any song.

- Amarok says that is a problem with the input plugin:
"Error Loading Media
No suitable input plugin. This often means that the url's protocol is not supported. Network failures are other possible causes.
°╚7/iPod_Control/Music/F04/JTCT.mp3"

- I check xine's configuration, amarok's engine configuration but I don't find any "input plugin" section.

- Also I run "xine-chek" and it says that the input plugin is ok:
"[ good ] found input plugins"

- I installed libgpod but I get the same error.

- I need some xine packages? xine-lib and xine-ui are installed and working.

- I tried opening this location in amarok and I was able to play the songs, even amarok recognized the tags.
/mnt/ipod/iPod_Control/Music/f00
---------

In conclusion, is a character encoding error? (the error has some extrange characters). Is a plugin error?. Is a xmms error?
Any suggestions?
I hope you undestand me and my english, thanks!


EDIT: After installing Amarok 1.4.4, compiling it from source, the ipod is perfectly recognised and I can play its songs.

xflow7 10-30-2006 09:10 AM

You are not alone. I have this problem as well (amaroK can read iTunesdb, but incorrectly interprets the path to music files on the iPod).

Someone else also posted about it over on Linux-Hardware, but it's still unresolved there.

FWIW, I tried amaroK 1.4.3 under Kubuntu Edgy Eft and it works okay, so it's not amaroK itself.

Only thing I can think is it is somehow related to how the device is mounted and/or maybe the presence/lack of HAL support or someother hardware access layer in KDE. However, I don't know enough about that stuff to know where to start troubleshooting.

xflow7 10-30-2006 09:12 AM

Here's a link to the other thread on the subject:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...38#post2461738

Ruhar 10-30-2006 10:44 AM

I have similar issues with Amarok and iPod writing support. Every time I write to the iPod through Amarok, the iPod sees the track but will not play it. For now I'm stiking with gtkpod because it works all the time with no problem.

jumapeg 10-30-2006 05:53 PM

I didn┤t see that threat, my brother uses Amarok without this error so I focused the search in slackware forums.

I can play the songs if I open the music directory so I will wait for a solution.

Also I have problems with kdenetwork, I can't change the settings of my network devices through control panel but I'm used to do it with ifconfig, iwconfig and route commands. I think that these problems are related to the lack of HAL.
When I install rt2500 device driver (pcmcia), kdenetwork utilities start having errors, but the ifconfig and iwconfig commands runs perfectly :confused:
I opened a thread in network section talking about with no solution.

Thanks for the replies, I'm not alone!, and these errors aren't importants, the system runs really well, fast and stable.

PJBrs 10-31-2006 10:22 AM

Hi - my first post here :-)

I had some iPod trouble too, probably the same as you had. I recompiled amarok and that fixed it. It may be that libgpod 0.3.2 is not compatible with libgpod 0.4.0, and libgpod was upgraded after amarok was compiled, IIRC (I followed Slackware-current).

I sent a message to Pat Volkerding about it. If recompiling amarok indeed fixes this, I hope he'll send out a bugfix.

xflow7 10-31-2006 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJBrs
Hi - my first post here :-)

I had some iPod trouble too, probably the same as you had. I recompiled amarok and that fixed it. It may be that libgpod 0.3.2 is not compatible with libgpod 0.4.0, and libgpod was upgraded after amarok was compiled, IIRC (I followed Slackware-current).

I sent a message to Pat Volkerding about it. If recompiling amarok indeed fixes this, I hope he'll send out a bugfix.

Interesting. Did you recompile using a SlackBuild script (is there one for amaroK?) or did you just compile and install the vanilla amaroK source?

PJBrs 10-31-2006 01:41 PM

I recompiled using the Slackware source and buildscripts from the dvd, which can be found in slackware-11.0/source/kde/amarok/ . Be sure to include the file source/kde/KDE.options when building, or edit the local.options file in the amarok source-folder, or the build will probably fail.

I hope this will work for you too!

xflow7 11-13-2006 07:42 AM

Thanks for the tip, PJBrs. I recompiled as suggested and it seems to have fixed it.

Nice one. :)

PJBrs 11-21-2006 07:05 AM

Nice to hear that, xflow7! I already thought that I had missed the mark completely :-) It would be nice to hear if this works for others too.

Ruhar 11-21-2006 03:29 PM

Absolutely, downloading Amarok 1.4.4 and compiling from source fixed the issue without problem. I previously had the same issue.

Now ipod integration is perfect. Plus the new Magnatune interface is pretty sick as well..

jumapeg 11-22-2006 03:40 AM

Amarok 1.4.4 installed and problem solved, I'll modify the subjet of the thread and the first post.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.