LinuxQuestions.org
Go Job Hunting at the LQ Job Marketplace
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
dr.s
Member
 
Registered: Feb 2010
Distribution: Slackware64
Posts: 126

Rep: Reputation: 19
alsactl error with kernel 3.7.1 on Slackware-current


Noticed the following startup error after updating my slackware-current test partition to 3.7.1
Code:
alsactl: set_control:1464: Cannot write control '3:3:0:Playback Channel Map:0' : File descriptor in bad state
The sound works until I run a couple of games under wine, then it starts to crackle at first, then disappears by the time I launch another game. Problem goes away when I reboot with 3.6.11 or 3.2.29

Anyone else running 3.7.1 and having the same error?
 
Old 12-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
escaflown
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 235

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.s View Post
Noticed the following startup error after updating my slackware-current test partition to 3.7.1
Code:
alsactl: set_control:1464: Cannot write control '3:3:0:Playback Channel Map:0' : File descriptor in bad state
The sound works until I run a couple of games under wine, then it starts to crackle at first, then disappears by the time I launch another game. Problem goes away when I reboot with 3.6.11 or 3.2.29

Anyone else running 3.7.1 and having the same error?
Same error here. I haven't found any solution yet.
 
Old 12-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
angryfirelord
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2005
Posts: 491

Rep: Reputation: 57
Try moving /etc/asound.state somewhere else (so it's not in /etc) and see if that corrects it. Most likely it's a kernel bug of some kind.
 
Old 12-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
XGizzmo
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 264

Rep: Reputation: 68
Running alsactl store will likely fix the issue.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
escaflown
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 235

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGizzmo View Post
Running alsactl store will likely fix the issue.
Nope. Still there.
 
Old 01-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #6
folkenfanel
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: formerly Fanelia and Zaibach
Distribution: Slackware-current with KDE 4.8.5
Posts: 299

Rep: Reputation: 35
Unhappy alsactl store fixes it for a short time

Hi fellow Slackers.

I get the same annoying error. Tried to fix it deleting /var/lib/asound.state and regenerating it with alsactl store. It works... but when I do alsactl restore (as does rc.alsa every boot), it gives me the error again.

Code:
alsactl: set_control:1464: Cannot write control '3:3:0:Playback Channel Map:0' : File descriptor in bad state
alsactl: set_control:1464: Cannot write control '3:3:0:Playback Channel Map:0' : File descriptor in bad state
alsactl: set_control:1464: Cannot write control '3:7:0:Playback Channel Map:0' : File descriptor in bad state
alsactl: set_control:1464: Cannot write control '3:8:0:Playback Channel Map:0' : File descriptor in bad state
alsactl: set_control:1464: Cannot write control '3:9:0:Playback Channel Map:0' : File descriptor in bad state
 
Old 01-02-2013, 04:02 AM   #7
bormant
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 85

Rep: Reputation: 37
"alsactl store" needs root privileges.
 
Old 01-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #8
escaflown
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 235

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bormant View Post
"alsactl store" needs root privileges.
How is that related to the question of the OP?
 
Old 01-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
bormant
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 85

Rep: Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by escaflown View Post
How is that related to the question of the OP?
If after upgrading kernel you run 'alsactl store' as user it cannot replace old /var/lib/alsa/asound.state and 'alsactl restore' will complain after reboot.
 
Old 01-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
escaflown
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 235

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bormant View Post
If after upgrading kernel you run 'alsactl store' as user it cannot replace old /var/lib/alsa/asound.state and 'alsactl restore' will complain after reboot.
If you ran it as user, that's not the kind of error you will get...
 
Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
bormant
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 85

Rep: Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by escaflown View Post
If you ran it as user, that's not the kind of error you will get...
If you get errors after upgrading kernel, then run 'alsactl store' as user instead of root, you still continue getting the same errors from 'alsactl restore' on reboots.
 
Old 01-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
escaflown
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 235

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bormant View Post
If you get errors after upgrading kernel, then run 'alsactl store' as user instead of root, you still continue getting the same errors from 'alsactl restore' on reboots.
How are you able to run 'alsactl store' as user instead of root ???????
 
Old 01-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
Pixxt
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Distribution: Slackware64, Arch
Posts: 100

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGizzmo View Post
Running alsactl store will likely fix the issue.
I always run alsamixer before alsactl store, just throwing it out there.
 
Old 01-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #14
bormant
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Posts: 85

Rep: Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by escaflown View Post
How are you able to run 'alsactl store' as user instead of root ???????
Nothing special:
Code:
$ /usr/sbin/alsactl store
/usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1608: Cannot open /var/lib/alsa/asound.state for writing: Permission denied
Even if user type
Code:
$ alsactl store
-bash: alsactl: command not found
result is the same. In both cases /var/lib/alsa/asound.state stays unchanged and 'alsactl restore' still complains after reboot.
 
Old 01-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #15
escaflown
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 235

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bormant View Post
Nothing special:
Code:
$ /usr/sbin/alsactl store
/usr/sbin/alsactl: save_state:1608: Cannot open /var/lib/alsa/asound.state for writing: Permission denied
Even if user type
Code:
$ alsactl store
-bash: alsactl: command not found
result is the same. In both cases /var/lib/alsa/asound.state stays unchanged and 'alsactl restore' still complains after reboot.
That's incorrect. In one case (simple user case), the alsactl didn't even execute, while in the other it failed to write the asound.state. The point is there is no way you can run alsactl without root privileges in Slackware, AFAIK.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
error while compiling kernel 2.6.36 in slackware 13.1 -current el_jauzaa Slackware 8 08-29-2012 08:36 PM
kernel 2.6.32: alsactl error: Unknown hardware mkoco Slackware 5 12-17-2009 07:42 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration